Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748939 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8925 on: August 10, 2014, 04:54:54 am »

Mmm, good post, good points.

Part of it will be my distance I guess, I'm somewhat disconnected most of the year and receive a subset of news.

I should mention that I was mixed up.  Its Scottish Labour with the bonehead leaders, as you allude to also.  Salmond is pretty good, dont know swinney so much.

Generation-wise.  I left high-school '98, iirc Braveheart was 95. 

Im certainly not attributing the movie directly to a large population groups influences or anything.  Just that in my experience as a half-english school student that movie was the start of several very bad years of my life, where I transferred 3 times.  I have always considered myself scottish, through my father.  I carry a clan surname.  But kids are kids and the pro-scottish fever was high at the end of the century.

Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: August 10, 2014, 05:17:01 am »

Why does our way of living is considered to be wrong?

:'(

It's homophobic and undemocratic. The majority of people on this board will disagree strongly with that.
BTW, how obsessed Europe with gays is? Sometimes it look like that is more important than anything and should Putin pass pro-gay laws and European popular opinion will allow him to do just everything
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: August 10, 2014, 05:18:15 am »

I.... don't automatically believe what our State says. Partially because I believe it to be temporary and filled with contradictions, unjustice and things like that.

But I've noticed that in here, this pretty civilized place on the Internet, you only need to mention the word "russia" or "russian", and immediately the hate-posts start to appear like some kind of grass, out of nowhere. Seriously, it's very jarring.
How can I believe that West is not ought to get us, when I see the rabid hateful response to everything even remotely linked to russia? And now they're even talking about ignoring us! As if we're not the same humans as they're, and all our words are not worth even thinking about! What the hell?
How comes the pretty calm words of slowpoke are instantly considered trolling, just because he does not tries to demonize russia? Is that because hating russia is mainstream? Is it cool? Why do I always see when people talk about russians they instantly think they're stupid gullible fools who only would have needed to think a little and realize that the western way of living is inherently better? Why does our way of living is considered to be wrong?

:'(
In my opinion, rabid anti-Russian sentiment in the Western segments of the internet is caused by plain contempt, disgust and hatred caused by Western feelings of superiority.
I'm perfectly sure that when, for example, Belgian gentlemen in the XIXth century looked down on locals in the Congo, they did that because they had valid criticism towards their uncivilized and un-European way of life.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: August 10, 2014, 05:31:42 am »

But I've noticed that in here, this pretty civilized place on the Internet, you only need to mention the word "russia" or "russian", and immediately the hate-posts start to appear like some kind of grass, out of nowhere.

I seriously doubt that people here would draw equality between Russian people and Russian state, the criticism is towards the state and not a personal attack on Russian posters. (At least it shouldn't be but discussions sometimes get heated.)

Is that because hating russia is mainstream? Is it cool? Why do I always see when people talk about russians they instantly think they're stupid gullible fools who only would have needed to think a little and realize that the western way of living is inherently better? Why does our way of living is considered to be wrong?

Russia is big enough to be hated. If Russia was a smaller country people would only remember it while they are reading their regular Liberalzeitung about their fascistic journeys then completely forget about it.
What's your way of living?

Why does our way of living is considered to be wrong?
Because you spread hate, slavery, poverty, wars and blood. Is that answer good enough?

You could say the same about the USA  :P but it's a hyperbole in both cases.
If I'm correct about what I've learned from history, the general outline of russian way of living is
1) always seek truth and justice
2) value friends before moneys
3) if an enemy invades, you must throw them away.

Of course there are plenty of people who do not go on with these, but it's the general outline.

From what I've noticed, the western culture does not put as much weight on truth, but on freedom.

EDIT: I almost forgot the third item, and arguably the most important.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:40:01 am by Sergarr »
._.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: August 10, 2014, 05:56:32 am »

I'm glad people have stopped trying to convince Guardian or Sergarr or Comrade that we don't support everything our governments do and that the media isn't the governments puppets like Russia.

It's like trying to convince BurningPet that criticizing Israel doesn't mean we love Hamas.

I never said its wrong to criticize israel, i said it's wrong to do so while showing profound lack of knowledge and/or spreading disinformation and/or because of anti-semitism/anti zionism.

I don't think anybody here was showing profound lack of knowledge or spreading disinformation or even being anti-semitic.

I do.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: August 10, 2014, 06:26:24 am »

LMAO. We see so much "truth" from Russia.  Seek harder
As for justice... Russia has no justice only a whim of "lords" matters

Sergarr, your post is one more indication that you are no different than average late 1930s German but sadly you can't see it...
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: August 10, 2014, 06:51:00 am »

LMAO. We see so much "truth" from Russia.  Seek harder
As for justice... Russia has no justice only a whim of "lords" matters

Sergarr, your post is one more indication that you are no different than average late 1930s German but sadly you can't see it...

Prove that I wish to accept a genocide of jews.
If you can't see how unsimiliar Germany in 1930s is to Russia in 2010s, then study history harder.
whatever
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:55:20 am by Sergarr »
._.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: August 10, 2014, 07:06:07 am »

I'm wondering how Russians still have such strong anti western persecution complex so long after the cold war , the west has mostly lost their fear of Russia and gone forwards to hating other people.
Gays, Muslims, Asians, blacks, fascists, communists, pro life, pro choice, China, Obama..., etc...
Basically what I'm saying is that whenever I hear one if the Russians in here say what they think the west thinks of them I see a parallel with the extreme paranoia of certain Israelis who believe everyone is trying to push them back into the ocean, I can empathise with that considering their terrible history, but just what kind of extreme fear inducing properganda was forced down your throat by the Russian Government? Surely it can't be as bad as North Koreans get.....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:46 am »

Prove that I wish to accept a genocide of jews.
One can't prove wishes of the other, because he always can say - it is not my wish. Besides you have a twisted vision of a history. An average 1930s German wasn't a maniac screaming "KILL,KILL,KILL all Jews now".  He was a modest hard-working guy, a loving father and son, who believed that he is creating an ideal society that will last for thousands years

Will Russia perform genocide of Jews? No. Can the "final solution" of North Caucasian problem happen? Absolutely. As well as genociding few millions of "Western nazi" Ukrainians should you win the current war. Not that you will participate or actively support it. You will pretend that it is not happening. Genocides are never done by majority of a nation. Small number of butchers do that with a silent approval of others.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:28:09 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: August 10, 2014, 07:50:46 am »

I guess that's the way things go. Have you tried just using the ignore feature Mainiac?

The what?

If you go to profile, then buddies/ignore list (on the bottom left,) then edit ignore list, you can put people on a list, so you don't see their posts. It still inserts a message saying that they posted there, with a button to reveal their posts (some people say they don't have the willpower to not click that button, but eh) but you can't see what they actually wrote (or their avatar) until you click it. It can be useful.

Anyway, I have a serious question for the Russians who are posting how they feel like everyone hates Russia on this forum.

Except when the topic of it's homophobia came up, did you feel like this before Russia invaded another country? Or only afterwards?

I've personally not remembered people hating Russia except rarely when it's homophobia came up, but now of it's easy to see lots of people hate Russia. And I am wondering if you have a different prospective.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:52:38 am by Criptfeind »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: August 10, 2014, 08:31:09 am »

The topic of homophobia in Russia came up whenever Russia was discussed even before the ukrainian civil war. You are probably just noticing it more now because the nature of the discussion makes everyone more involved.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: August 10, 2014, 08:40:58 am »

If I'm correct about what I've learned from history, the general outline of russian way of living is

Of course there are plenty of people who do not go on with these, but it's the general outline.

Well these points hold true for Western way of living too, hell even for the whole world. I guess the main difference is what we mean by these words like truth and justice.

From what I've noticed, the western culture does not put as much weight on truth, but on freedom.
Could you explain this more in depth?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: August 10, 2014, 08:46:31 am »

I'm glad people have stopped trying to convince Guardian or Sergarr or Comrade that we don't support everything our governments do and that the media isn't the governments puppets like Russia.

It's like trying to convince BurningPet that criticizing Israel doesn't mean we love Hamas.

I never said its wrong to criticize israel, i said it's wrong to do so while showing profound lack of knowledge and/or spreading disinformation and/or because of anti-semitism/anti zionism.

I don't think anybody here was showing profound lack of knowledge or spreading disinformation or even being anti-semitic.

I do.

Nobody was being anti-Semitic and saying 'Jews must die' or anything like that.

Also, this kind of goes in the Mideast topic.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: August 10, 2014, 09:39:46 am »

Well these points hold true for Western way of living too, hell even for the whole world. I guess the main difference is what we mean by these words like truth and justice.

Well.
To summarize, I don't agree with English culture, and American culture in particular. I can agree with German and French culture.

._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: August 10, 2014, 09:50:52 am »

Well.
To summarize, I don't agree with English culture, and American culture in particular. I can agree with German and French culture.

Do you mean filibuster in the context of congress? Yeah it's been abused to the point where it's lost it's origional purpose and is only used to keep the other party from doing things, or congress from functioning properly. I do agree that the political system is ill right now, and not just because of filibuster abuse.

As for wasting everybodys time, refer to what Ted Cruz did a few months ago, geeze.

Death penalty, yeah, it's also a big deal here in the US and it's not just you in Europe that are against the death penalty.
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 1393