Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748954 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8910 on: August 10, 2014, 12:41:55 am »

Not as rude as complaining about them behind their back, I think. Anywho...

Turkey gonna have elections soon. Since Leatra hasn't appeared here for more than a year, I don't think they'll end up in peace.

I've wondered about Leatra too, but people do tend to drift out of here. I do hope he's alright, whatever he's up to. I also hope that Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu wins, if only to hear newscasters throughout the Anglophone world struggle through pronouncing his name. He's had quite a career too.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: August 10, 2014, 12:48:09 am »

I'm not surprised as the rebels were losing for the last few weeks, The situation in Kiev is worrying however.
The rebels were steadily losing since late May, if we don't count the occasional counter strikes. Strelkov has been calling for Russian intervention numerous times since then, but all his pleas were ignored.

A pretty good article on Western relations with Russia. Some of you may find it too pacifist, though.
I had trouble following, too much hyperbole.

He's suggesting the west buy off Russia by 'modernizing' them & building up their industry?

let's see here

germany has much more to lose than america, and the media started to raise war fever after the passenger plane got shot down instead of trying to be level-headed

we should look to integrate, not isolate russia, and the policy of demonizing putin is just a cover for the lack of actual policy

current course (sanctions) towards russia hasn't worked, it just made people support the president harder

america escalates things everywhere it goes, the escalation is a monument to a failure to engage in diplomacy and this time it's also part of the election preparations

reminder that while america is bad, russia is still bad

lots of german historical context

you should reread it, it's a pretty good essay and i actually feel bad to turn it into a couple sentences like this

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: August 10, 2014, 12:48:30 am »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/08/08/the-quite-hilarious-russian-propaganda-about-the-ban-on-eu-food-imports/

Quote from: The article above
The thing that really worries though is, well, what if the Russians actually believe all of this nonsense?
Majority of them do believe it

Did they actually go and ban fish from Norway? Lol.......

Turkey gonna have elections soon. Since Leatra hasn't appeared here for more than a year, I don't think they'll end up in peace.

I've wondered about Leatra too, but people do tend to drift out of here. I do hope he's alright, whatever he's up to. I also hope that Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu wins, if only to hear newscasters throughout the Anglophone world struggle through pronouncing his name. He's had quite a career too.

No idea who this leatra is.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: August 10, 2014, 12:56:24 am »

He was a Turkish poster who started a thread on the Gezi Park Protests and posted pictures he took, and breaking news, and all that jazz. He'd been around for quite some time before that too.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: August 10, 2014, 01:03:57 am »

He was a Turkish poster who started a thread on the Gezi Park Protests and posted pictures he took, and breaking news, and all that jazz. He'd been around for quite some time before that too.
And then he suddenly disappeared.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: August 10, 2014, 01:08:41 am »

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8916 on: August 10, 2014, 01:41:15 am »

Humbug, check your PMs. If anyone else wants to discuss it further, PM me.

let's see here

germany has much more to lose than america, and the media started to raise war fever after the passenger plane got shot down instead of trying to be level-headed

we should look to integrate, not isolate russia, and the policy of demonizing putin is just a cover for the lack of actual policy

current course (sanctions) towards russia hasn't worked, it just made people support the president harder

america escalates things everywhere it goes, the escalation is a monument to a failure to engage in diplomacy and this time it's also part of the election preparations

reminder that while america is bad, russia is still bad

lots of german historical context

you should reread it, it's a pretty good essay and i actually feel bad to turn it into a couple sentences like this
Eh, I don't think I agree. But maybe I'll give it another try tomorrow. It seems a little light on substance, and I disagreed at more than a couple points.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: August 10, 2014, 01:45:26 am »

From my perspective that essay is entirely reasonable, It basically asks for moderation and an end to hostile escalation, I can't see how anyone could have a problem with that, though it pretty much deamonises those in charge of the US and RUSSIA, and Germany, and anyone who would prefer to push towards war, so I can see how people would be offended by the theme.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: August 10, 2014, 03:04:20 am »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/08/08/the-quite-hilarious-russian-propaganda-about-the-ban-on-eu-food-imports/

Quote from: The article above
The thing that really worries though is, well, what if the Russians actually believe all of this nonsense?
Majority of them do believe it

The problem indeed is that truly a lot of Russians believe everything that the state shoves down their throats. Highly educated young professionals believe in that bullshit, even though they also read foreign news like BBC, euronews and whatnot. It's just that the general mentality there is that of the Soviet Union, The Evil West is after them no matter what. For example I know this one guy who dates an Estonian. He graduated university with a bachelor's in engineering in Moscow, speaks English and is generally quite educated. But he buys into the state propaganda without doubting it. He says that he reads foreign news, but the Russian propaganda is stronger.

In the eastern part of the EU, Russians have mostly lost that Soviet Union feel. Only people who lived during that time and supported it are still afraid of the bullshit.

Like Hitler said, if you make up a big enough lie and constantly repeat it, people will believe it.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: August 10, 2014, 03:38:56 am »

I.... don't automatically believe what our State says. Partially because I believe it to be temporary and filled with contradictions, unjustice and things like that.

But I've noticed that in here, this pretty civilized place on the Internet, you only need to mention the word "russia" or "russian", and immediately the hate-posts start to appear like some kind of grass, out of nowhere. Seriously, it's very jarring.
How can I believe that West is not ought to get us, when I see the rabid hateful response to everything even remotely linked to russia? And now they're even talking about ignoring us! As if we're not the same humans as they're, and all our words are not worth even thinking about! What the hell?
How comes the pretty calm words of slowpoke are instantly considered trolling, just because he does not tries to demonize russia? Is that because hating russia is mainstream? Is it cool? Why do I always see when people talk about russians they instantly think they're stupid gullible fools who only would have needed to think a little and realize that the western way of living is inherently better? Why does our way of living is considered to be wrong?

:'(
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: August 10, 2014, 03:50:20 am »

Why does our way of living is considered to be wrong?

:'(

It's homophobic and undemocratic. The majority of people on this board will disagree strongly with that.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:51:55 am by Owlbread »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: August 10, 2014, 03:55:55 am »

Oooh, I wander into this forum to make a cry post and happen to stumble in here wheres theres an interesting poll.

I am actually entitled to vote, and intend to vote no at this point, as do both of my parents, my younger brother is leaning yes.  Both neighbouring households are all no.  The milkman is yes.  It feels up in the air, but theres a sense of lean toward no, at least in my region (Highlands & Islands funnily enough).  The right to vote is being assigned in an unusual way, I almost didnt get to.  I lived 9 years in scotland and have always been on the brittish electoral roll but most of the last 10 in Sweden where i dont vote.  Its residency recently that counts and only an extended summer stay with parents last year got me in, I know 2 poles who are there for the summer as canoe instructers who can vote.  Both declined due to ignorance and apathy :p (their english isnt actually that good.  Literally 'Dont Know, Dont Care'  to which not voting is the correct response.)

This got talked about a lot when I was still in school and has taken forever to become a reality (I left school more than a decade ago).  When it first came up there was a surge of YES feeling running around.  I personally have attributed this in the younger generation at least (mine at the time) to the movie Braveheart which was big a couple of years earlier.  Make of that what you will, its accuracy may be hazy but that doesnt usually stop the sheep.

Since then things sobered.  We couldnt get a bloody parliament building up.  Infact it was allotted a budget and time-frame.  By the end of which we should have it finished.  At the deadline there was not even blueprints.  Oh and no money.  Then the SNP (scottish nationalist party.  dont take the nationalist the wrong way, its more independence than racist and they fly fairly close to center) have a series of bonehead leaders.  And everyone realizes that the north sea oil and gas they had trotted out as an answer to how the scottish economy might survive seperation is limited, past peak infact.  (Another thing we have known for ages, but sheep are behind the curve, and by sheep i mean any group of humanbeings above a certain size...lets say 10)

It just doesnt seem as shiny as it did before.  Whats the point?  Yes, theres the whole 'f*** the english' thing.  Many scots are the strongest bigots in the world, its just all directed at 1 country.  Its a cultural current of racial hatred unlike anything i've seen outside the lamentable state of various middle-eastern relations.  But it feels like a lot of work for little reason to many at this stage.  We dont even hate many englishmen, just the idea of them in general.  The English have the french, everyone has the Irish, and they have everyone.  Its all fair.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:13:16 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: August 10, 2014, 04:15:00 am »

Because you spread hate, slavery, poverty, wars and blood. Is that answer good enough?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: August 10, 2014, 04:28:22 am »

I shall have to answer this but I must apologise in advance if I go silent as I am about to go away on holiday today.

Spoiler: In reply to Celem (click to show/hide)

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: August 10, 2014, 04:51:45 am »

But I've noticed that in here, this pretty civilized place on the Internet, you only need to mention the word "russia" or "russian", and immediately the hate-posts start to appear like some kind of grass, out of nowhere.

I seriously doubt that people here would draw equality between Russian people and Russian state, the criticism is towards the state and not a personal attack on Russian posters. (At least it shouldn't be but discussions sometimes get heated.)

Is that because hating russia is mainstream? Is it cool? Why do I always see when people talk about russians they instantly think they're stupid gullible fools who only would have needed to think a little and realize that the western way of living is inherently better? Why does our way of living is considered to be wrong?

Russia is big enough to be hated. If Russia was a smaller country people would only remember it while they are reading their regular Liberalzeitung about their fascistic journeys then completely forget about it.
What's your way of living?

Because you spread hate, slavery, poverty, wars and blood. Is that answer good enough?

You could say the same about the USA  :P but it's a hyperbole in both cases.
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 1393