Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748859 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8940 on: August 10, 2014, 11:49:36 am »

Fundamentalist movement is the pretty egregious example of freedom above truth. The freedom to express any believe you want is trumping the science, truth-seeking.

Ah yes, that famous fundamentalist death grip on American culture, what with all 50 states teaching evolution and state officials losing their jobs in the most anti-evolution state in the country for trying to change that (or perhaps I should say least pro-evolution).

See here in America we aren't afraid to air out our dirty laundry.  I've participated in protests against the government and I currently work in the government.  We don't disagree more because we have more problems, we disagree more because that's how you fix your problems.

Curious, Sergarr, how many protests against Putin have you participated in?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:52:38 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: August 10, 2014, 12:31:42 pm »

There's also the thing that there are no atheists in Congress. At all. Out of 500+ people, no atheists.

As to the mainiac's question, I hasn't participated in any protests against Putin, or any protests at all, since I believe them to be either a) pointless, since they do not offer any constructive options and b) actively harmful, if they try to support some member of opposition like this guy, who have shown themselves to be actively harmful to my country.

I haven't seen any constructive opposition in our which has also opposed Putin.
in slowpoke we trust
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:57:25 pm by Sergarr »
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: August 10, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »

Being atheist isn't a requisite for being sensible though.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: August 10, 2014, 12:43:00 pm »

There's also the thing that there are no atheists in Congress. At all. Out of 500+ people, no atheists.

As to the mainiac's question, I hasn't participated in any protests against Putin, or any protests at all, since I believe them to be either a) pointless, since they do not offer any constructive options and b) actively harmful, if they try to support some member of opposition like this guy, who have shown themselves to be actively harmful to my country.

So... you never object to anything that Putin does and considers dissent to be harmful to the nation.  Gotcha.  Perhaps you would like to talk some more about how it's Americans who are sheep looking for war and Russians never believe any propaganda?

I have discussed the flaws of the American first past the post system many times but this seems to rather be saying the opposite of what you want.  You were just complaining that minorities in America have too much representation.  Now you are saying they have too little.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: August 10, 2014, 12:51:45 pm »

I wasn't talking about minorities, for one. I was talking about how illogical and anti-rationalistic things dominate the USA society, and how that should be remedied. It doesn't matter if they're majority or minority, if it's wrong it must be fixed. Like we dealt with monarchy in Russia. the slowpoke conquers all

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:57:38 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: August 10, 2014, 12:58:13 pm »

Being atheist isn't a requisite for being sensible though.
Careful, now. This is the internet. There's militant atheists around every corner.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: August 10, 2014, 12:58:39 pm »

I wasn't talking about minorities, for one. I was talking about how illogical and anti-rationalistic things dominate the USA society, and how that should be remedied. It doesn't matter if they're majority or minority, if it's wrong it must be fixed. Like we dealt with monarchy in Russia.

So problems must be fixed but just a few posts back you were saying that those opposing the government were bad and must be stopped.

Is change only allowed through bloody revolution and executions, like the monarchy?  Is the problem with the US that when fundamentalists stopped the teaching of evolution in a few schools in Kansas we responded by swiftly voting them out?  Should we instead have had a civil war to decide who's right?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: August 10, 2014, 01:03:22 pm »

This is a wrong thread for this line of discussion. Please move into USA Conservative thread.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: August 10, 2014, 01:25:13 pm »

So, rural areas of Turkey set course of the country to a dirt poor islamist hole... Or to a civil war
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: August 10, 2014, 01:49:51 pm »

It's worth mentioning that a pretty disproportionate portion of the opposition in Russia these days basically attacks everything about Russian culture and heritage. It's a bit strange, actually, since there are plenty of people that don't really like Putin much and would prefer an alternative to the corruption of the current Russian government, but then they look to the "opposition" and (with a few exceptions) see a bunch of people that regularly express their hatred for all things Russian and are unceasingly fawning to anything relating to Western Europe or the US. These types of people remind the average non-partisan Russian of the Yeltsin days, when things were even more corrupt and the Russian leadership basically licked America's boots as it engaged in unrestricted attacks on other countries without any restraint. "Putin might not be the best," thinks this type of person, "but at the very least he has a spine and doesn't let Westerners walk all over us like those opposition politicians would."

To be quite honest, if the opposition wasn't so distinctly "pro-West" in every way while still supporting liberalization, they would probably have quite a bit more success. It's possible to be a relatively free country with fair elections and a free economy without basically taking marching orders from Washington like the Western Europeans tend to do, which is what the opposition should strive towards.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: August 10, 2014, 02:05:21 pm »

What do you mean by attacking Russian culture and heritage?

USSR stuff or what? That is attacked by any liberal and for a good reason.
Maybe Russian imperialism? It is not compatible with liberalism, either
Again one can't be a liberal without doing it
The church? Same here. Liberals are enemies of any religion that tries to be a part of the state
Traditional sexist and homophobic morals? Again, liberal ideology can't ignore this  else it is not a liberal ideology

What else liberals attack? You said everything, so should name few examples
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:07:58 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: August 10, 2014, 02:06:43 pm »

This is a wrong thread for this line of discussion. Please move into USA Conservative thread.

Why would we discuss it there?  You are elaborating on the brilliant political philosophy of Russia.  That's European.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: August 10, 2014, 03:02:00 pm »

Why would we discuss it there?  You are elaborating on the brilliant political philosophy of Russia.  That's European.

Let me quote the problematic places in your astonishing logic beams:
I wasn't talking about minorities, for one. I was talking about how illogical and anti-rationalistic things dominate the USA society, and how that should be remedied. It doesn't matter if they're majority or minority, if it's wrong it must be fixed. Like we dealt with monarchy in Russia.

So problems must be fixed but just a few posts back you were saying that those opposing the government were bad and must be stopped.

Is change only allowed through bloody revolution and executions, like the monarchy?  Is the problem with the US that when fundamentalists stopped the teaching of evolution in a few schools in Kansas we responded by swiftly voting them out?  Should we instead have had a civil war to decide who's right?
Clearly a European problem.

So... you never object to anything that Putin does and considers dissent to be harmful to the nation.  Gotcha.  Perhaps you would like to talk some more about how it's Americans who are sheep looking for war and Russians never believe any propaganda?

I have discussed the flaws of the American first past the post system many times but this seems to rather be saying the opposite of what you want.  You were just complaining that minorities in America have too much representation.  Now you are saying they have too little.
Also clearly European stuff.

Fundamentalist movement is the pretty egregious example of freedom above truth. The freedom to express any believe you want is trumping the science, truth-seeking.

Ah yes, that famous fundamentalist death grip on American culture, what with all 50 states teaching evolution and state officials losing their jobs in the most anti-evolution state in the country for trying to change that (or perhaps I should say least pro-evolution).

See here in America we aren't afraid to air out our dirty laundry.  I've participated in protests against the government and I currently work in the government.  We don't disagree more because we have more problems, we disagree more because that's how you fix your problems.

Obviously America is a part of Europe.

I admit that I've also been guilty of proliferation of this derail, but you apparently don't even see that this is a derail.

And now I must go to sleep. (slowpoke i'm so sorry i could not do that :( )
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8953 on: August 10, 2014, 03:08:19 pm »

You should rephrase that to "how many times have you tried committing suicide?"

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: August 10, 2014, 03:11:48 pm »

They're allowed to discuss the American civilization and method in relation to a European discussion, ya.

Also it's just the American politics thread, not conservative. Fearful Jesuit is just weird.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 1393