Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747510 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #7065 on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:13 am »

Hope Porosheno got the massage and  will not dare to say something like: "Two more weeks of ceasefire, we seek peace" or worse" We reached an agreement with them and pulling the troops away".
Well, when you are not trying to reach an agreement with a part of your country, you shouldn't really be surprised that the part in question wants to secede. :-)
Dude, those 'separatists' are like 70% Russian by now. We simply don't know what the people of Eastern Ukraine want, and the rebels are making finding out impossible.
Same goes for Russia and the Crimeans, by the way - it could very well be that they wanted to secede, but now we'll never know.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:00 am »

Hope Porosheno got the massage and  will not dare to say something like: "Two more weeks of ceasefire, we seek peace" or worse" We reached an agreement with them and pulling the troops away".
Well, when you are not trying to reach an agreement with a part of your country, you shouldn't really be surprised that the part in question wants to secede. :-)
Dude, those 'separatists' are like 70% Russian by now. We simply don't know what the people of Eastern Ukraine want, and the rebels are making finding out impossible.
Same goes for Russia and the Crimeans, by the way - it could very well be that they wanted to secede, but now we'll never know.
I'm reasonably sure that 70% of Eastern Ukraine think of themselves as Russians...
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: June 29, 2014, 10:34:24 am »

I'm reasonably sure that 70% of Eastern Ukraine think of themselves as Russians...

He still has a point, we don't know and probably won't know what the rest of the people there actually want.

Right now though, they probably want the fighting to stop.

Also, we've heard of lots of refugees crossing the Russian border, what about the other direction, west into Ukraine?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: June 29, 2014, 10:43:32 am »

Actually, we do know what Eastern Ukraine wants, Pew did polling on this very subject.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: June 29, 2014, 10:44:32 am »

Actually, we do know what Eastern Ukraine wants, Pew did polling on this very subject.
Not the Pew I was expecting.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: June 29, 2014, 10:46:25 am »

Do you have sources for that, or is it "IIRC", too?

It's been in every book I've read that mentions the Aral Sea disaster and the effects on Kazakhstan/Karakalpakstan. Off the top of my head - the most detailed descriptions were in the travel novels "The Lost Heart of Asia", and  "Out of Steppe - the Lost Tribes of Central Asia" and a few other books where guys traveled to the disaster zone.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: June 29, 2014, 10:59:30 am »

Actually, those evil separatists who, as some people here claim, prevent us from learning the opinion of Eastern Ukraine, started by organizing a referendum to ask for the opinion of people of Eastern Ukraine. And they did invite whatever observers wished to attend. Of course, we'll never know what the real results of that referendum would be since Kiev government did everything up to and including use of military force to prevent that referendum from ever happening, and all European countries conveniently ignored the event and didn't send any observers at all.

But of course it's the fault of Russia and evil East-Ukrainian separatists that we cannot now know the true opinion of people of East Ukraine. I see the logic... not. :-)

The part begs to stop the ceasefire and start liberating it from Russian invaders and local collaborating gangs
Sure, and of course the "anti-terrorist force" enjoys the support of local population with all associated benefits, like all enemy troop movements being transparent for them in near-realtime? Except it seems that it's the separatists who are perfectly well-informed about Kiev troops' movements. I wonder why...

Actually, much less as far as I'm aware. At least according to relatively recent polls (don't remember the years though - 2012? 2013?). Of course that's pretty situational: when USSR disintegrated, number of self-proclaimed Russians in Eastern Ukraine instantly dropped by something like 30% of total population. It suddenly became a trend to consider themselves Ukrainians - and many people did exactly that.

Right now though, they probably want the fighting to stop.
That's for sure, the difference in opinion between Kiev and Donetsk/Lugansk is how.

Also, we've heard of lots of refugees crossing the Russian border, what about the other direction, west into Ukraine?
According to Kiev, there are no refugees in Ukraine. At least that was the stated reason for their refusal of humanitarian aid from Russia. :-)

As the article clearly states, that was before the violence in Odessa and Mariupol, which changed the opinions a lot and contributed to the shift in demands from "autonomy" to "secession".
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: June 29, 2014, 11:03:13 am »

Those who want to know can always fund another referendum. Of course, if they really wanted to know, they could have easily send observers to the original event. :-)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:06:46 am by Lav »
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: June 29, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »

Sure, and of course the "anti-terrorist force" enjoys the support of local population with all associated benefits, like all enemy troop movements being transparent for them in near-realtime?
Who said that they don't get that info? You really think our armed forces have no local informers? Few % of support is enough for that....

Except it seems that it's the separatists who are perfectly well-informed about Kiev troops' movements. I wonder why...
I never said that they have no support among locals. As I said few % is enough for such informing. But I think they get way more info from Russian agents in Ukrainian command staff, Russian Radio-electronic intelligence and Russian UAVs then from any locals.

Those who want to know can always fund another referendum. Of course, if they really wanted to know, they could have easily send observers to the original event. :-)
I like how Soviets believe that only vote count is important in referendum\elections. Completely neglecting others aspects of a fair plebiscite

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: June 29, 2014, 12:26:35 pm »

An impartial vote would probably have to be administered by someone third-party or impartial, but can't be pushed around by either powers. China or India or both at once, or the U.N.*, or possibly Australia (Canada, as a member of NATO, probably not).

*While they can be pushed around by the Americans, they can also be pushed around by the Russians, so that cancels out. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: June 29, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »

An impartial vote would probably have to be administered by someone third-party or impartial, but can't be pushed around by either powers. China or India or both at once, or the U.N.*, or possibly Australia (Canada, as a member of NATO, probably not).

*While they can be pushed around by the Americans, they can also be pushed around by the Russians, so that cancels out. :P
Australia is an American ally (it's not a NATO member, but it is a part of ANZUS) - it can't be considered a third-party. Latin American and South American countries are too pro-Russian. The only remaining countries that can probably be neutral supervisors are located in Africa and the rest of Asia.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:48:31 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: June 29, 2014, 12:54:39 pm »

Sorry for the derail, but I didn't know you were a Bay12er Lav (I recognize you from Taleworlds).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: June 29, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »

Yeah, but they *do* exist. Just a question of if anybody in the right position thinks to ask them, and if they agree to do it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: June 29, 2014, 12:55:29 pm »

I swear, these Russians just keep coming. And yet there's only one Ukrainian guy.

This doesn't seem fair.
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: June 29, 2014, 01:18:54 pm »

yeah, because life is fair

of all the things you could have said as vague support you had to choose one of the most bullshit ones
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 1393