Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747413 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #7050 on: June 28, 2014, 01:33:02 pm »

Any American actions in Eastern Europe resulting in instalment of pro-American governments in countries bordering Russia poses a clear threat to Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_complex

If it's not a russian puppet state, it's obviously hostile.

Also Kazakhstan is an american ally and borders Putin's empire, is it possible that Russia only harasses and wants to force countries they depend on into cooperation because otherwise the whole thing falls apart..?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:35:48 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: June 28, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »

I dare say that the world is not clearly divided into pro-US and anti-US. Also, why aren't you considering the Europe as an actor? It's not like they all want to comply with US on every opportunity, there's plenty of diversity there. Stop blaming US for everything, they can't even conquer Iraq properly.

._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: June 28, 2014, 02:10:56 pm »

That's not a factor of competence. If it needed to, the US military could have conquered Iraq in a very permanent way. It just wouldn't have been very moral to flatten cities and villages until everybody surrendered.

Warfare in the modern age is far more about restraint than anything else.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: June 28, 2014, 02:16:26 pm »

Also Kazakhstan is an american ally and borders Putin's empire, is it possible that Russia only harasses and wants to force countries they depend on into cooperation because otherwise the whole thing falls apart..?

Kazakhstan is not a part of NATO and doesn't house any American forces and military installations, so it can't be called an ally of the US.

By the way, here's an interesting (and probably unrelated) link. It's about Soviet military preparations during the Cold War. It documents the sheer aggressiveness of the Warsaw Pact and its resolve to destroy freedom, democracy and all that is holy.
The horrible neo-Soviet Putin's regime is following in their footsteps, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:19:26 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: June 28, 2014, 03:29:02 pm »

Kazakhstan is not an American ally, that's Uzbekistan, the country where we (USA + UK) send all of our prisoners captured in Afghanistan to get boiled alive (literally) and tortured, sometimes to death. In return we let their President boil dissidents alive under the guise of the war on terror. He is rather friendly with Putin these days however, having snubbed us over oil.

Kazakhstan is actually like a kind of Belarus of the East - their president Nazarbayev is basically Russian like Lukashenko i.e. prefers Russian culture, Russian language and so on and is very much a friend of Putin. After all Kazakhstan was a heavily Russified country, like Belarus. He is the second of the two great non-Russian (in all but name) proponents of Neo-Soviet stuff like the Union State and CIS. Did I mention he's very authoritarian, rather totalitarian, corrupt and oppressive and enjoys putting members of his family in positions of power, leaving bits of himself entrenched everywhere like a kind of political Norton Antivirus? He's an Eastern Lukashenko without a moustache.

All these guys have the same things in common and appeal to the same kinds of people. They're there to keep the bad guys out, so no matter how bad it gets at least they seem to know what they're doing, and appear to be rooting out corruption, even if they are a bit ruthless about it and seem to be targeting their political enemies over anyone else. Who cares if you don't have as much democracy? Democracy isn't Russian after all, and Russian is the way to be. There's no such thing as "Belarusian" and to be Kazakh would involve tribal chieftans and khans. So uncivilised. You should be glad we invaded you and subjugated you and exploited your land for everything it was worth, leaving it an environmental disaster zone; you did need a wash.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:40:53 pm by Owlbread »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: June 28, 2014, 03:31:26 pm »

I don't know how to say this, Owlbread...

But you've got a head in your bread  :(
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: June 29, 2014, 03:13:08 am »

Here we have a link (In Ukrainian with Russian translation) about simulating a delivery of Russian military supplies to pro-Russian forces. Subscribed by A.Parubiy.

Could be a fake??
http://shrek1.livejournal.com/498307.html

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: June 29, 2014, 03:43:38 am »

Kazakhstan is not an American ally, that's Uzbekistan, the country where we (USA + UK) send all of our prisoners captured in Afghanistan to get boiled alive (literally) and tortured, sometimes to death. In return we let their President boil dissidents alive under the guise of the war on terror. He is rather friendly with Putin these days however, having snubbed us over oil.

Kazakhstan is actually like a kind of Belarus of the East - their president Nazarbayev is basically Russian like Lukashenko i.e. prefers Russian culture, Russian language and so on and is very much a friend of Putin. After all Kazakhstan was a heavily Russified country, like Belarus. He is the second of the two great non-Russian (in all but name) proponents of Neo-Soviet stuff like the Union State and CIS. Did I mention he's very authoritarian, rather totalitarian, corrupt and oppressive and enjoys putting members of his family in positions of power, leaving bits of himself entrenched everywhere like a kind of political Norton Antivirus? He's an Eastern Lukashenko without a moustache.

All these guys have the same things in common and appeal to the same kinds of people. They're there to keep the bad guys out, so no matter how bad it gets at least they seem to know what they're doing, and appear to be rooting out corruption, even if they are a bit ruthless about it and seem to be targeting their political enemies over anyone else. Who cares if you don't have as much democracy? Democracy isn't Russian after all, and Russian is the way to be. There's no such thing as "Belarusian" and to be Kazakh would involve tribal chieftans and khans. So uncivilised. You should be glad we invaded you and subjugated you and exploited your land for everything it was worth, leaving it an environmental disaster zone; you did need a wash.
IIRC They were pretty independent after the fall of Soviet Union. Had pretty of nationality. Then they started to cut the trees which were planted there by Soviets, and then desertification kicked in.
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: June 29, 2014, 06:32:58 am »

IIRC They were pretty independent after the fall of Soviet Union. Had pretty of nationality. Then they started to cut the trees which were planted there by Soviets, and then desertification kicked in.

This is completely wrong. They're as independent now as they were after the fall of the USSR. Desertification began due to the Soviet colonial administrators flooding Kazakhstan with cotton plants.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: June 29, 2014, 07:37:57 am »

This is completely wrong. They're as independent now as they were after the fall of the USSR. Desertification began due to the Soviet colonial administrators flooding Kazakhstan with cotton plants.
Do you have sources for that, or is it "IIRC", too?
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: June 29, 2014, 07:51:57 am »

So apparently Kiev is full of protesters demanding an end of the ceasefire and application of martial law. I only have a link in German - does anyone have en English or Russian source?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: June 29, 2014, 08:09:07 am »

There is a festival coming up in Estonia that has political roots. It is the 26th Estonian Song Celebration and it will be held from the 4th of July till the 6th of July. It is a celebration that is held every five years with tens of thousands of people performing and an immense audience. The reason I am posting about this is that if you are interested then you can either fly here and be a part of the audience or watch it online as it will be streamed. It is an immensely powerful event and the songs have power and beauty even if you are not able to understand the lyrics. This event is the most important even for choirs here. The competition to get selected is fierce and the auditions are very difficult.

So I mentioned it having a political background. It started in 1869 when we were trying to get independence from the Russian Empire. It continued until we were once again occupied by the Soviets and this is the event that sparked "The singing revolution" in 1988. People were not allowed to have any political views other than what the Soviet Union deemed good so they sang these forbidden songs in the capital. Nowadays the biggest concert location in Estonia is dedicated to it and it is part of the UNESCO heritage list. This is something that every Estonian listens to, either in the audience or on their TV and it is truly probably the most important national even that we have.

I really suggest you to give it a listen and keep the speakers turned on high, as this is something truly epic.

The homepage: http://2014.laulupidu.ee/en

BBC short of it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p021b8z6

A clip from the Youth Song Celebration 3 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmmUOpLQnLs

Unfortunately there aren't many good clips from the 25th Song Festival. The Latvians and Lithuanians also have their versions of the Song and Dance Festival. This is an event that celebrates the independence that a nation and it's people can have.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: June 29, 2014, 09:01:27 am »

So apparently Kiev is full of protesters demanding an end of the ceasefire and application of martial law. I only have a link in German - does anyone have en English or Russian source?
Yeah, the largest protest since Yanukovich.

Hope Porosheno got the massage and  will not dare to say something like: "Two more weeks of ceasefire, we seek peace" or worse" We reached an agreement with them and pulling the troops away".
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: June 29, 2014, 09:19:06 am »

Hope Porosheno got the massage and  will not dare to say something like: "Two more weeks of ceasefire, we seek peace" or worse" We reached an agreement with them and pulling the troops away".
Well, when you are not trying to reach an agreement with a part of your country, you shouldn't really be surprised that the part in question wants to secede. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:16 am »

Well, when you are not trying to reach an agreement with a part of your country, you shouldn't really be surprised that the part in question wants to secede. :-)
The part begs to stop the ceasefire and start liberating it from Russian invaders and local collaborating gangs
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 1393