Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744082 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6705 on: June 17, 2014, 05:35:31 am »

Nope, of course nope, I am not a suicidal.
But I gonna leave this country as soon as possible for them to stop getting my tax money from me.
Urgh. I hate people who talk about leaving Russia. It's so mainstream among the current generation D:

And if you think that Russia is the worst there is... well just look at what Europe did to Libya.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:37:32 am by Sergarr »
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: June 17, 2014, 06:03:01 am »

Well, we didn't grab a part of it before funding the rebels at least. :p And we did not create the armed rebels either.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: June 17, 2014, 06:14:00 am »

Nope, we invaded, overthrew their government, and then left after we had lucrative oil contracts. We did it with popular support, but they're still screwded for the moment.

Then again, you do evil so I can do Evil isn't a good excuse.

in other news thanks merkel
Ah, the Energywende. Bloody expensive, and bloody useless.

FYI, that situation is going to last till 2030. In 2003, Nuclear+ renewables accounted for 40% of energy generation. Renewable goal for 2030 is 40%, so with nuclear being phased out...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: June 17, 2014, 06:19:01 am »

That and the fact that they don't have a nicely sinking economy to depress energy use.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: June 17, 2014, 06:24:47 am »

so now that i have shamelessly pointed the conversation at energy

does anyone have any news regarding these silly solar panels designed to be used instead of asphalt in road construction?

i'd petition my local government to get some they're big on green stuff

but i'd rather not until it's feasible

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: June 17, 2014, 06:31:35 am »

No practical tests have been done with them, as far as I know, so we have no estimate for live expectancy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: June 17, 2014, 06:36:31 am »

Don't think they'd do very well in Belgium.
"BREAKING NEWS: Road-display system hack results in massive traffic jams as drivers are distracted by dicks on the road!"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: June 17, 2014, 06:37:00 am »

Also we have no estimate for costs.

Also, solar panels are best used at an angle, to capture as much sunlight as possible. The ideal angle depends on your latitude and when you want your solar panel to produce the most, but for Europe the ideal angle would be >30°. The efficiency is multiplied by the cosine of the difference between the angle and the ideal angle, so if 30° is the ideal, you're only going to have 88% of the efficiency of an angled panel. If the angle is 45°, it's 70°.

And of course, you cannot move your panels to track the sun.

And then of course, you'll loose energy because your panels gets dirty.

Serioulsy, this is quite a ridiculous idea. It's not like we're lacking place to put normal solar panel. Hell, if you want to use road-space, just build a scaffolding and put perfectly angled solar panels ABOVE the road.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: June 17, 2014, 06:59:36 am »

Don't think they'd do very well in Belgium.
"BREAKING NEWS: Road-display system hack results in massive traffic jams as drivers are distracted by dicks on the road!"
Actually it'd be. Breaking news: Traffic control power fails as traffic jam obstructs solar panels.

I mean, traffic jams are a constant thing in Belgium, so...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6714 on: June 17, 2014, 07:04:42 am »

Roads are pretty expensive and inconvenient to build already, and they take a lot of wear and tear, so it seems kinda impractical to build them out of expensive technology. Plus, you then need to add wiring infrastructure to your roads. That might not be too much of a problem in richer parts of Europe, but here that would be a cable thief's dream.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: June 17, 2014, 07:11:12 am »

snip
Feeling guilty for what your nation does is a normal feeling. But are you sure that Putin and guys that worship him are your nation? Maybe they just use the same name and language but have absolutely different mentality and values. Think about it.

Quote from: Sergarr link=topic=122786.msg5383291#msg5383291
Urgh. I hate people who talk about leaving Russia. It's so mainstream among the current generation D:
Flee or fight is a normal healthy reaction.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: June 17, 2014, 07:46:01 am »

Nope, we invaded, overthrew their government, and then left after we had lucrative oil contracts. We did it with popular support, but they're still screwded for the moment.

(emphasis added)

Europe didn't get lucrative oil contracts by invading Libya.  Europe actually had a more lucrative relationship with Qaddafi then the has with the new regime.  If they had let him crush the rebels and keep them out of the oil exporting ports then production would undoubtedly be much higher then it is now.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: June 17, 2014, 07:59:06 am »

snip
Feeling guilty for what your nation does is a normal feeling. But are you sure that Putin and guys that worship him are your nation? Maybe they just use the same name and language but have absolutely different mentality and values. Think about it.

Quote from: Sergarr link=topic=122786.msg5383291#msg5383291
Flee or fight is a normal healthy reaction.
I don't see the "fight" among the people around here. These defeatists are everywhere.
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: June 17, 2014, 08:07:00 am »

it's sad as hell that people think "oh only this country is terrible as soon as i get out of here everything will be fine!"

you might leave insert country but insert nationality remains within you, donklord

besides if you're anything like me (haha as if) your problem lies with humanity, not a specific country

only way this would work is that if you were an expat that hated their current host country for some reason maybe?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: June 17, 2014, 08:21:15 am »

Nope, of course nope, I am not a suicidal.
But I gonna leave this country as soon as possible for them to stop getting my tax money from me.

And if you think that Russia is the worst there is... well just look at what Europe did to Libya.

Urgh, now I'm imagining Putin with a lumberjack beard and an 'ironic' T-shirt.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 1393