Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744144 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6690 on: June 16, 2014, 03:24:55 pm »

Europe's energy dependency on Russia is a huge security risk and I think that now is the time when all the other European countries except for the Baltics have finally realized the fact, that they need to be more independent in terms of energy.

http://www.euractiv.com/energy/eu-leaders-discuss-reducing-ener-news-534344

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/stopping-russia-from-cornering-europes-energy-market/2014/06/15/5cf1ea02-e82e-11e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_story.html

But they aren't quite living up to the fact. http://www.carnegieeurope.eu/2014/05/08/europeans-are-prolonging-their-dependence-on-russian-gas/haad

The more we are dependent on Russia in anything, the higher the security risk.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: June 16, 2014, 03:39:41 pm »

the fact that everyone is at risk if something fucks up is one of the main reasons why globalist economy is considered a good thing

supposedly, it means that everyone will have it in their interest to not fuck something up so their something is not going to enjoy secondhand fuckedupness

heh, theories

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: June 16, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »

Well, I'd say the Baltics did realize it, hence the aptly-name Independence Lithuanian LNG terminal that could also be used to reexport gas to the other Baltics.

Also, is Finland part of the Baltic countries?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: June 16, 2014, 03:44:44 pm »

Well, I'd say the Baltics did realize it, hence the aptly-name Independence Lithuanian LNG terminal that could also be used to reexport gas to the other Baltics.

Also, is Finland part of the Baltic countries?

Nope, Finland is a Nordic country. But I'd say that the Nordic's have also pretty well understood and implemented energy independence. There are actually currently talks on building another Estonian-Finnish energy cable, which could supply the Baltics.

EDIT: For example Sweden's burning of trash and using bioenergy. Norway using oil almost purely as export, while getting it's energy resources from hydroelectric stations built in the fjords. Denmark's green energy in general and Iceland's geothermal energy. Finland of course uses huge amounts of nuclear energy.

EDIT2: The Baltic States are from north to south: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:51:42 pm by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: June 16, 2014, 03:53:03 pm »

But Finland imports 100% of its gas from Russia.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: June 16, 2014, 03:54:52 pm »

the fact that everyone is at risk if something fucks up is one of the main reasons why globalist economy is considered a good thing

supposedly, it means that everyone will have it in their interest to not fuck something up so their something is not going to enjoy secondhand fuckedupness

heh, theories
Science proved that theories don't work if practice disagrees with it, no matter how nice the theory is.

More accurately, theories work, you're just using the wrong theories.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: June 16, 2014, 04:01:14 pm »

Yes, but only 11% of the total consumption of energy in Finland is made out of gas and there are plans to build a LNG terminal. There are also crisis plans on how to immediately cut natural gas out of use and replace it with something else.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: June 16, 2014, 04:30:33 pm »

Really? Out of curiosity, is the heating mostly/entirely electric? Or fuel? Because I wonder how quickly they could change natural gas boilers in the middle of winter...

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: June 16, 2014, 04:59:49 pm »

Heating is almost entirely electric or oil based. Actually gas use is very rare in domestic households, most of it is used industrially.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: June 16, 2014, 05:08:47 pm »

Most people seem to use gas here for cooking.

We do have our own gas supply though, so it's probably not entirely relevant.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: June 17, 2014, 12:49:31 am »

Heating is almost entirely electric or oil based. Actually gas use is very rare in domestic households, most of it is used industrially.
District heating is very popular here.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ELF-rhymer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: June 17, 2014, 04:04:03 am »

I feel so guilty being russian in all this things.
I do not like what politics do, I commonly keep myself out of politics, but there are people dying and suffering just because a brunch of those  nobles is trying to make even more money. It is ridiculous. I will not ever undersand why do people cannot unite and live as humanity, not as different nations. We would have so much more progress in science and life level if only the humanity will stop the war all over the globe and just shake their hands alltogether...

Guys, I cannot say for all the russian. But from myself - forgive me please. This is not me starting this, and not in my power to end this, but I feel guilty about even living in this country.

P.S. Yes, I am 25 years old, but I still do not understand all this things.
"So the merchants arrive to see blood and vomit everywhere, us hauling corpses en masse to the graveyard, a couple rampaging elephants

WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!"

DwarfFortress Boatmurdered.
Part 17 by StarkRavingMad.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: June 17, 2014, 04:11:12 am »

I feel so guilty being russian in all this things.
I feel guilty about even living in this country.

well stop

the fuck are you going to do, topple the government with your guilt?

live your life and support the government as little as possible unless you want to more or less throw your life away

ELF-rhymer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: June 17, 2014, 04:13:34 am »

Nope, of course nope, I am not a suicidal.
But I gonna leave this country as soon as possible for them to stop getting my tax money from me.
"So the merchants arrive to see blood and vomit everywhere, us hauling corpses en masse to the graveyard, a couple rampaging elephants

WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!"

DwarfFortress Boatmurdered.
Part 17 by StarkRavingMad.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: June 17, 2014, 05:17:15 am »

in other news thanks merkel
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1393