Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1756810 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6015 on: May 27, 2014, 02:59:48 pm »

Regardless, views of individuals don't constitute party policy.

Nothing is concrete as of yet; until such a time as it is concrete and in party policy, I work on the assumption that it's just talk.

That's a dangerous assumption, when the people saying these things are high up members of the party - you know, the people who actually make policy. It also says a lot about UKIP and how unified or well led a body it is if its high up members come out with these things if they are not the official line.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6016 on: May 27, 2014, 03:00:45 pm »

The only thing I've heard of is the end to "health tourists."

What, so we only have your big frickin' clock tower to look at, and that one tower wot they stick people in?

I think not!
Don't trash talk bong towers,  big ben is always a good sight for sick eyes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: May 27, 2014, 03:02:33 pm »

No, it speaks of a party recently brought to attention that is relatively new to such things

Until the water dies, anything is possible, and I doubt very much if many, other than one or two, wish to push forward privatisation. Much like there may be in any party recently formed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: May 27, 2014, 03:12:06 pm »

No, it speaks of a party recently brought to attention that is relatively new to such things

Until the water dies, anything is possible, and I doubt very much if many, other than one or two, wish to push forward privatisation. Much like there may be in any party recently formed.

Since its formation in 1993, people have levied the same criticism at UKIP on more than one occasion - that its high up members seem to operate to their own agenda regardless of policy, as if leadership figures are remarkably ignorant of official policy. It does seem to be having its 15 mins of fame, which makes the things the individuals in question say seem worse in a way. These could be teething problems for a body that does not know its own identity yet, or just a problem with the people that stand within the party in general - time will tell, if the current bubble does not burst at the next general election. It is their stated policy though to allow people to pay to jump queues in hospitals though... which scares the shit out of me.
This is a blank sig.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: May 27, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »

As you said, time will tell.

If you cut that down, you just agreed with me. Huzzah! :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: May 27, 2014, 03:15:35 pm »

I think you mean seppuku.

... Though, a nation-wide game of sudoku would be... interesting.
                                                   Joke
Descan's head
... Uhm. What? There's no joke there. How on earth are the Green party, wind-turbine prime ministers, Neptune and the UK Trident nuclear system, Japanese ritual suicide, and fucking sudoku related? At all?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: May 27, 2014, 03:16:00 pm »

The part about skipping queues was effectively endorsed by Farage. Not to mention that his own statements have involved cuts to the NHS. Given that UKIP have absolutely no manifesto at the moment it's hard not to take such things as indicators of policy.

Erm, UKIP have been around since 1993. They have held seats in the European Parliament since 1999 and underwent a major restructuring to become a more national party in 2004. By all accounts they have had at least a decade to form themselves into a serious party. They had a manifesto in 2010, but announced this year that it was nonsense and discarded it all, without replacing a single one of their policies formally.

That's not being a new party. That's being incompetent.

I campaigned against the Greens for years over less.

Only fractionally related;
How proportional was the EU election in Britian?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:18:35 pm by palsch »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: May 27, 2014, 03:19:32 pm »

Well, I wouldn't go that far :P

I expect that the current time will be their high water mark before sliding back to fringe levels of support in around 5 years.

Palsch, in the previous post, kind of sums up my feelings perfectly. 11 years should have been long enough to be less scary.
This is a blank sig.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: May 27, 2014, 03:20:33 pm »

Regardless, views of individuals don't constitute party policy.

Nothing is concrete as of yet; until such a time as it is concrete and in party policy, I work on the assumption that it's just talk.
Are you referring to the manifesto? The one with basically nothing in it?
All that this woefully short, repetitive document that has a not-insignificant amount of filler told me is that UKIP is willing to lie if it makes people like them more.
See:
Quote from: Manifesto
Democracy:
Introduce binding local planning referendums on major decisions,
such as out-of-town or large-scale supermarket developments, wind turbines,
incinerators, solar farms, major housing developments and transport schemes
like HS2.
vs
Scrap HS2, all green taxes and wind turbine subsidies.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: May 27, 2014, 03:22:07 pm »

I think you mean seppuku.

... Though, a nation-wide game of sudoku would be... interesting.
                                                   Joke
Descan's head
... Uhm. What? There's no joke there. How on earth are the Green party, wind-turbine prime ministers, Neptune and the UK Trident nuclear system, Japanese ritual suicide, and fucking sudoku related? At all?

I'm assuming it's a reference to the meme/joke of someone mistaking the two, hence 'commit sudoku'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: May 27, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »

This is why I don't like memes/references. If you haven't heard the joke before, you're a moron! Hooray! :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: May 27, 2014, 03:25:54 pm »

This is why I don't like memes/references. If you haven't heard the joke before, you're a moron! Hooray! :I
It's no worse than regular things people say. I would react the same if someone were to tell me that there's no way cats and dogs are falling from the sky I must be wrong.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: May 27, 2014, 03:30:41 pm »

But majority voting systems like FPTP are good! Here in Slovakia, proportional list system is the abomination.
There were some attempts to change it, but the parties in power like it too much to let it change.
Nah, First Past the Post is an abomination that eventually results in a 2 party system. To be fair, the FPTP system has problems if you want to form coalitions, which might take some time but is still preferable to a system where the intentions of the voters can simply be ignored. FPTP is a disgrace to the democratic process, as simple as that.

The reason Slovakian politicians are pushing for a FPTP system is that would put largest party, which has no real contenders of similar size, in charge for the foreseeable time.

Anyway, any bets to how long it will take before we get a Belgian government.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:32:50 pm by 10ebbor10 »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: May 27, 2014, 03:32:16 pm »

UKIP was initially set up as a pressure party. Obviously, it has recently grown to become more than that, which may or may not last. Either way, it is almost effectively a new party now. It needs to brush out a few kinks, and I am hoping that will be done soon. It has problems, UKIP, but I see a future where they are resolved.

As for Nigel Farage endorsing skipping queues for money, a tweet has not become party policy when I stopped looking, right? :P

Ninja time.

Well, I wouldn't go that far :P

I expect that the current time will be their high water mark before sliding back to fringe levels of support in around 5 years.

Palsch, in the previous post, kind of sums up my feelings perfectly. 11 years should have been long enough to be less scary.
Yes, I also suspect it will slide. I hope it won't but it's almost a trend-still, I won't contribute to a slide and I hope no one else does.

And Graknorke, don't worry about Wind Turbines. Whilst a party's position can change, it seems that the recent urgent demand for them has slackened. There are more restrictions on setting 'em up.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: May 27, 2014, 03:34:10 pm »

UKIP was initially set up as a pressure party. Obviously, it has recently grown to become more than that, which may or may not last. Either way, it is almost effectively a new party now. It needs to brush out a few kinks, and I am hoping that will be done soon. It has problems, UKIP, but I see a future where they are resolved.

As for Nigel Farage endorsing skipping queues for money, a tweet has not become party policy when I stopped looking, right? :P
When the party has no party policy (which, in My anti-UKIP ness, I will state is especially because it allows everyone what they want about the party gaining more votes) , then a tweet is the best we can go by.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 1393