Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743929 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5475 on: May 19, 2014, 04:10:33 am »

Let's run a quick test.

What's your position on:
Legalizing Weed?
Nuclear Power?
Shifting taxation to carbon?
Immigration?
European Integration?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: May 19, 2014, 04:11:03 am »

Historic treatment of russians and ukrainians by tatars hasn't been one bit better than the reverse

Relevant.
Why did Russia conquer Crimea, and later on the Caucausus? Raids on Russian lands was the sole reason. Any other state of that era would probably do the same.
For some reason, Western media have always omitted this chapter of history of Crimean Tatars when speaking about history of Crimea - thus it appears that peace-loving Crimean Tatars were living on the Crimean peninsula not bothering anyone until suddenly Russians came and crushed their peace-loving state in 1774.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: May 19, 2014, 04:16:24 am »

I don't remember anyone complaining about Russia invading those places. I mean, have you looked at the British Empire? No, what we bitched about was about the massacre/genocide of 1864 in the Caucasus and the deportation of the Tatars in 1944. And the refusal to apologize for it.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: May 19, 2014, 04:22:40 am »

What's your position on:
Legalizing Weed? Sure - just tax it so that the users themselves pay for the health issues they cause.
Nuclear Power? Meh - not well implemented currently, partly because research has been hindered for political reasons (in Germany, at least). I'd like to see fusion-fission hybrid technology though; it would increase efficiency, enable us to use more isotopes, reduce the amount of waste, and reduce the waste's half-life.
Shifting taxation to carbon? I'll assume you mean introducing a carbon tax - I'm actually against that, because it would be very difficult to determine the right taxation rate: It would eventually just become another source of revenue and one more way to give out political favors. Cap-and-trade (with a sufficiently low cap) is much more elegant.
Immigration? Sure, why not - especially when talking about skilled people. Of course we can't just let in anyone who comes knocking; but the way to stop them from doing so is getting the African economy running. Eliminating subsidies and tying aid to anti-corruption efforts would be good first steps.
European Integration? Hell yes - why do you even ask? :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:48:20 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: May 19, 2014, 04:30:19 am »

See! We agree on basically everything, by and large! But then, this is probably true of most people on this forum.  :P I still don't get why you call yourself a conservative though.

As for the carbon tax, I actually think cap-and-trade is much more susceptible to political favor than carbon tax. Just look at the ECTS! (By the way, the guy who implemented it is a friend of my dad. Hearing him rails against how the politicians destroyed it was enlightening). And getting another source of revenue is the point. I still don't get why we get our money from taxing stuff we like (like work) rather than taxing stuff we don't (like carbon).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: May 19, 2014, 04:34:51 am »

I'm actually pretty conservative

I'm not sure why you'd think this statement would surprise anyone.

Pre-edit: except Sheb, apparently. Sheb, you really need to get better at reading people :P
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5481 on: May 19, 2014, 04:41:19 am »

I don't remember anyone complaining about Russia invading those places. I mean, have you looked at the British Empire? No, what we bitched about was about the massacre/genocide of 1864 in the Caucasus and the deportation of the Tatars in 1944. And the refusal to apologize for it.
No different from us brushing over the expulsions of the germans, turkey and azerbaijan denying the armenian genocide and japan, just japan. Heck, with turkey and azerbaijan they're not just refusing to apologize, they're refusing its existence. So japan again. To add to that, asking for the russians to get behind tatars as a civic identity, to give tatars exclusive voting rights after having enslaved millions of slavs, just won't work. It has to be a fresh start between equals because otherwise you won't get anything done, people will hold onto the conflicts of their ancestors if you hold onto the crimes of their ancestors.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: May 19, 2014, 04:51:27 am »

"Equals" on this matter would mean strengthening Crimean Tartars somehow, as right now they're politically, economically and socially powerless and discriminated against. Just cutting loose all historical baggage would just mean forgetting why they are such a vulnerable minority today. They'd still be as vulnerable.

Edit: Oh, just for your information, Erdogan actually acknowledged the Armenian genocide just a few weeks ago. He didn't exactly go into details about who had committed it, though (at least not in the quotes I read).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:55:14 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: May 19, 2014, 04:57:51 am »

I still don't get why you call yourself a conservative though.
I'm a fiscal conservative, I support religiousness, I've got a soft spot for leaders with authoritarian streaks (like FDR or Merkel), I'm strongly against more direct democracy, I in fact hold democracy to be a means instead of an ends, I usually favor a market-based approach over a statist one, I'm for free trade, I strongly dislike undue interference with the free market such as price controls or non-temporary or corrective subsidies, I've got my issues with affirmative action, and when in doubt, I'd rather refrain from experiments.

I'm not a dumb conservative, though, maybe that's what you're sensing ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: May 19, 2014, 05:09:34 am »

I still don't get why you call yourself a conservative though.
I'm a fiscal conservative, I support religiousness, I've got a soft spot for leaders with authoritarian streaks (like FDR or Merkel), I'm strongly against more direct democracy, I in fact hold democracy to be a means instead of an ends, I usually favor a market-based approach over a statist one, I'm for free trade, I strongly dislike undue interference with the free market such as price controls or non-temporary or corrective subsidies, I've got my issues with affirmative action, and when in doubt, I'd rather refrain from experiments.

I'm not a dumb conservative, though, maybe that's what you're sensing ;)

For a guy with Karl Groucho as an avatar, I'm somewhat surprised.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: May 19, 2014, 05:26:08 am »

Ooooh, I also have a thing for Communist/Soviet pathos. Pathos is what liberal democracies lack - that's why I like FDR: He provides a great narrative.
And the Groucho version of Marx was just too funny to not use as my avatar.
The Bay12 postcard club

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: May 19, 2014, 05:41:03 am »

I know Owlbread is suggesting a Crimean Tatar Republic out of a good-natured idealism (which I respect), but I really don't see how this could be feasible. The Tatars are too small a minority and it's way too late to try to reverse that now.
I also doubt a civic Crimean national identity (that includes the Russians and Ukrainians there) is realistically possible anytime soon and with the current wave of nationalism in the general area, I don't see something like that happening in Crimea at all.

Civic nationalism is a shaky work in progress even in the countries where it is actively tried, often it is civic in name only. It works somewhat better in the colonies than in Europe, but it's still very noticeable how for example the American national identity used to be a WASP thing, or that French civic nationalism is as French as their laizism is Catholic (almost like Turkey where the government likes to pretend ethnic and religious minorities don't exist). German politicians (and I'm sure it's similar in other European countries) have been advocating a civic national identity for decades, but I don't think that has really trickled down into the public consciousness yet.

But what saddens me more: majority of foreigners tend to ignore Russian crimes with that "USA does ad things,  too!" argumentation
Well, there is a lot of latent anti-Americanism in Europe. Also, between the big players (US, China, Russia), Europe is or rather perceives itself as helpless and is thus eager to avoid conflicts.
Similarly the population (at least here in Germany) is upset about violence in [insert African or Middle Eastern country], but doesn't want a military intervention there. If the US stages one, it's jingoistic imperialism and because of the oil. If they don't, it's because they don't care, their diplomacy has failed or because the country has no oil. That's the hypocritical pacifism I mentioned earlier. Maybe I should write a protest song about it, because that's the only proper reaction to anything...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: May 19, 2014, 05:50:51 am »

Even that is not the main problem. As Loud Whispers said it is rather common to not admit\apologize for a genocide.

Main problem is that we have ongoing atrocities  against civilian population in North Caucasus  and that is OK for Russian commoners. It is to be expected in Crimea....
Current stuff like banned public gatherings and ignored language rights is nothing comparing to what Crimean Tatars may experience in the future
Crimea is very similar to North Caucasus, but local "savages" are untamed. And we know what methods modern Russia uses to solve such problems
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: May 19, 2014, 06:09:50 am »

Even that is not the main problem. As Loud Whispers said it is rather common to not admit\apologize for a genocide.

Main problem is that we have ongoing atrocities  against civilian population in North Caucasus  and that is OK for Russian commoners. It is to be expected in Crimea....
Current stuff like banned public gatherings and ignored language rights is nothing comparing to what Crimean Tatars may experience in the future
Crimea is very similar to North Caucasus, but local "savages" are untamed. And we know what methods modern Russia uses to solve such problems
>implying that North Caucasus is tamed

EDIT:
too funny
That comic is absolutely hilarious.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:14:42 am by Sergarr »
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: May 19, 2014, 06:15:45 am »

Well, not that uncommon, at least in Europe. Even Japan did apologize about the comfort woman once.

But my understanding was that if we were discussing Turkey rather than Russia, we would bash them for the same reasons.

Helgoland: Ok, I think we got confused between European and American conservatism. You're more of an authoritarian liberal. :p

Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 1393