Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743837 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5490 on: May 19, 2014, 08:16:16 am »

One more thing regarding Crimean Tatars - Their pockets will be hit hard. Problem here  is that most Tatars here are busy either in tourism or agriculture. Both spheres got a hefty hit...

Guys that get money from budget (medics\teachers\police officers and so on) will benefit from all that Russian oil money will get larger salaries but there are few Tatars among them.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: May 19, 2014, 09:51:08 am »

Helgoland: Ok, I think we got confused between European and American conservatism. You're more of an authoritarian liberal. :p
Yeah, that fits pretty well - but it's still the European definition of liberal. Seeing how we're in te Euro politics thread, I think it's reasonable to assumme the European meaning to be the default.
So what's your label, anyway?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: May 19, 2014, 10:02:11 am »

Centrist green would be the best fit I guess. I'm not a card-carrying Green, but that's only because my wallet is downstairs.  :P But I'm well to the right of my party on economic matter (I believe in cylically-adjusted balanced budget, and I don't mind forcing unemployed people to look for a job), with widly leftist strain (Like supporting a universal basic income). I'm also pro-nuclear, because we won't be able to decarbonize without it. So maybe pragmatic green?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: May 19, 2014, 10:04:33 am »

Helgoland: Ok, I think we got confused between European and American conservatism. You're more of an authoritarian liberal. :p
Yeah, that fits pretty well - but it's still the European definition of liberal. Seeing how we're in te Euro politics thread, I think it's reasonable to assumme the European meaning to be the default.
So what's your label, anyway?

My view of conservatives are bible thumpers in general. Honestly though, the terms get thrown around so much that I don't completely understand the differences between the two. Other than that in general, republicans are conservative and democrats are liberal. And that conservatives don't want change and liberals are for change/progress.

Basically it's so muddled around here that I don't even think of myself as conservative or liberal.

As I understand it, the US center is more in the right section of the European spectrum. I think. Or center right.

My label would be independent with democratic and green leanings.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5494 on: May 19, 2014, 10:10:05 am »

Filthy authoritarians, liberty is the only way ahead :|

Also in the UK we're trying to ban injury again, by banning lorries after headlines were dominated by cyclists dying in collisions practically on a daily basis.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: May 19, 2014, 10:11:56 am »

Filthy authoritarians, liberty is the only way ahead :|

Also in the UK we're trying to ban injury again, by banning lorries after headlines were dominated by cyclists dying in collisions practically on a daily basis.
But they are "more of an authoritarian liberal"-s, hehehe.
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: May 19, 2014, 10:29:53 am »

What are the fireworks at 1:20?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: May 19, 2014, 10:30:43 am »

I'd guess these are some sort of flares.
._.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: May 19, 2014, 10:34:28 am »

Or fireworks used as flares.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: May 19, 2014, 10:38:29 am »

Best guess, vehicle countermeasure flares, though you can see a bit of light and smoke just before they go off, which suggests maybe it was a vehicle cooking off.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: May 19, 2014, 10:58:13 am »

Putin might actually be withdrawing troops from the border. I say might with a boulder sized grain of salt and skeptism because Putin has lied and pulled fakeouts before. Also, I don't know how much time elapsed between Putin ordering that and everybody else saying 'nope, no sign of a pullout', but such a huge force probably takes time to get started moving out and then there's chain of command. Even so, our spysats could certainly see them beginning to pack up and Putin never actually said of a specific timeline, just 'end of spring exercises'.

I posted two Russian sources and two Western sources to balance it out.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA4I04I20140519?irpc=932

http://rt.com/news/159888-putin-troops-back-bases/

http://www.therakyatpost.com/world/2014/05/19/putin-orders-troops-near-ukraine-back-bases/ (somewhat more than RT)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/19/world/europe/ukraine-crisis/

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: May 19, 2014, 11:56:01 am »

Sheb has answered this eloquently and I don't need to attack it.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:27:39 pm by Owlbread »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: May 19, 2014, 12:10:41 pm »

Centrist green would be the best fit I guess. I'm not a card-carrying Green, but that's only because my wallet is downstairs.  :P But I'm well to the right of my party on economic matter (I believe in cylically-adjusted balanced budget, and I don't mind forcing unemployed people to look for a job), with widly leftist strain (Like supporting a universal basic income). I'm also pro-nuclear, because we won't be able to decarbonize without it. So maybe pragmatic green?
... Wait, how can you "force unemployed people to look for a job" with a UBI?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: May 19, 2014, 12:15:26 pm »

making ubi a joke that keeps people on a "hair's width from starving" level?
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1393