Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746213 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4890 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:27 am »

Just take the opportunity to join the Glorious Cryptocurrency Master Race. ScotCoin (please translate into a ridiculously archaic dialect of Gaelic), coming January 2015.

AirgeadAlbannach perhaps. Literally "Scottish silver", as "silver" is the word we use in Gaelic for money/currency in general. There's also the Gaelic word for pence which is "sgillin", which is related to shilling.

BonnAlbainn would also work perhaps, pronounced "bown alapin" - literally "coin of Scotland". Bonn-airgeid is another.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:19:04 am by Owlbread »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: April 23, 2014, 11:20:42 am »

Bollocks to feet and inches. I want to see an unfathomably arcane system of ells, falls, roods, and oxgangs.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:59 am »

Bollocks to feet and inches. I want to see an unfathomably arcane system of ells, falls, roods, and oxgangs.

Yes. The loss of our bollis, chopinis, firlotis and mutchkinis was one of the greatest tragedies of the union.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:24:59 am by Owlbread »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: April 23, 2014, 11:27:40 am »

And I'd love it if Scotland, if it became independent, were to adopt feet and inches again. Unlikely, but one can dream.

I actually prefer feet and inches to metric for some reason, I don't know why. Despite being educated in metric I can't visualise Imperial measurements properly.

Wait, are we agreeing? 0_o
What has the world come to? I was brought up in metric, but visualize better in feet and inches. To be honest, who really uses kilometers instead of miles, anyway. A car goes so many miles per hour. Anyway, astounding as it is, I agree :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: April 23, 2014, 11:32:40 am »

I am always amused by the fact that a Scottish pint was historically three English pints.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: April 23, 2014, 11:34:20 am »

You could just as easily take that to mean that English alcohol is stronger.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: April 23, 2014, 11:35:53 am »

Heresy.

I have heard though that we still water down our alcohol in the UK due to some sort of bizarre law implemented during the First World War. It's for that reason that Britons get so drunk when they find themselves in places like the Netherlands or Germany where they have proper beer.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:37:34 am by Owlbread »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: April 23, 2014, 11:37:30 am »

Yes, but we also drink more of said watered down stuff. So, the only reason they get drunk is because they're drinking the same amount of strong beer.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: April 23, 2014, 11:43:44 am »

Heresy.

I have heard though that we still water down our alcohol in the UK due to some sort of bizarre law implemented during the First World War. It's for that reason that Britons get so drunk when they find themselves in places like the Netherlands or Germany where they have proper beer.
Sometimes that's a cultural thing too. Chinese get silly drunk on their own beer, which is like 4% ABV. They were in awe of us Americans downing a six-pack each, just because it was cheap and safer than water.

But then they could turn around and drink baijiu all night long while two or three shots of that stuff would just about make us go blind.

And yeah, Belgian and Dutch ale is often potent.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: April 23, 2014, 01:14:19 pm »

It's not culture. It's genetics. The amount of ethanol-processing enzymes, to be precise. Of course, the drinking habits do create an evolutionary pressure, but you wouldn't change someone's booze tolerance just by transplanting him to a different culture.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: April 23, 2014, 01:16:00 pm »

RedKing's specifically gave an exemple of Chinese being more tolerant to baiju and less to beer. How do you explain that without culture?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: April 23, 2014, 01:16:34 pm »

You guys have no idea how strange it is for me to go to a party where I am the only North-Eastern European. I can drink way more than everybody else and not even feel a thing while they are all already drunk off their asses.

And no, I do not consume almost any alcohol in my day to day life. :P
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: April 23, 2014, 01:18:03 pm »

If you ever come to Belgium, I challenge you to a drinking match! North-Eastern against North-Western, drinks of your choice.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: April 23, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »

Just take the opportunity to join the Glorious Cryptocurrency Master Race. ScotCoin (please translate into a ridiculously archaic dialect of Gaelic), coming January 2015.

AirgeadAlbannach perhaps. Literally "Scottish silver", as "silver" is the word we use in Gaelic for money/currency in general. There's also the Gaelic word for pence which is "sgillin", which is related to shilling.

BonnAlbainn would also work perhaps, pronounced "bown alapin" - literally "coin of Scotland". Bonn-airgeid is another.
I wonder how the currency of independent Scotland will be named, if for some reason the Scottish government decides to create one.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: April 23, 2014, 01:28:02 pm »

The name everyone is using at the moment is rather boring. It's just "the Scottish Pound", or Pound Scots as RedKing called it.
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 1393