Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746015 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4920 on: April 24, 2014, 10:27:35 am »

cheerios

* LordSlowpoke downs a glass of cheerio-based moonshine

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: April 24, 2014, 10:53:32 am »

I also received a letter in the post from UKIP yesterday. It was quite a novelty given that they mentioned the word "Scotland" once in the entire leaflet, only in the sentence "Here are UKIP Scotland's candidates".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: April 24, 2014, 11:10:28 am »

I agree with UKIP on immigration and climate change, though disagree heavily on pensions.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: April 24, 2014, 11:15:47 am »

I agree with UKIP on immigration and climate change, though disagree heavily on pensions.

Why is immigration such an important issue for Northern Ireland?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: April 24, 2014, 11:18:51 am »

What is it you disagree with them on pensions? And aren't they climate deniers?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: April 24, 2014, 11:19:10 am »

Do you support any of the NI parties, Th4DwArfY1?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: April 24, 2014, 11:21:00 am »

Red Riojas are still my all time favorites though

I like them a lot as well, my Catalan uncle usually brings us suggestions and gifts when he comes over. He reluctantly admits to wine being the only thing Catalonians doesn't know how to do best ;)
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: April 24, 2014, 11:58:25 am »

Why is immigration such an important issue for Northern Ireland?
It's an issue for everyone. But, I suppose if you want to look specifically at Northern Ireland it is a degradation of culture. Many come in looking to leech off the NHS. Of course, those that come and have no intention of forcing their beliefs/cultures on anyone else and actively try to be a productive part of the country are more than welcome.

Do you support any of the NI parties, Th4DwArfY1?
Of course. Why did you put my name in bold? I admit, politically, Northern Ireland is a wreck. If I were to choose, though, it would be TUV.

What is it you disagree with them on pensions? And aren't they climate deniers?
I don't know about climate deniers, though I think they are, but they plan to spend less money on wind farms. Which I agree with. They aren't good looking, but if that were all they'd be liveable with. Instead, they also need replacing every now and then, aren't particularly sustainable as they cost both money and fossil fuels to assemble and put up. Really, I don't see the point. And they want pensions to be reduced. Which is ridiculous, they're low enough as they are.

Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: April 24, 2014, 12:08:23 pm »

It's an issue for everyone.

I don't think that's the case, no. Some parts of the UK could do with more immigrants, like Scotland.

But, I suppose if you want to look specifically at Northern Ireland it is a degradation of culture.

Do you have evidence for this? That "Northern Irish culture" (presumably Ulster Scots + Native Irish) is at risk due to immigration? Despite Northern Ireland having the lowest immigration rate in the UK?

Many come in looking to leech off the NHS. Of course, those that come and have no intention of forcing their beliefs/cultures on anyone else and actively try to be a productive part of the country are more than welcome.

Do you have evidence of immigrants trying to force "their beliefs/cultures" on Northern Irish people in Northern Ireland? It would be quite an accomplishment to do that considering that back in 2009 there were only 4000 Muslims (the immigrants I presume you're referring to) in the whole of Northern Ireland.

Of course. Why did you put my name in bold? I admit, politically, Northern Ireland is a wreck. If I were to choose, though, it would be TUV.

Aren't they basically the UKIP of Northern Ireland?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:10:09 pm by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: April 24, 2014, 12:13:27 pm »

* LordSlowpoke cracks knuckles

so what does owlbread know of north irish culture

maybe it's really really prone to shifts

e: i'll spare myself more posts and just say

As an aside, what's so important about certain cultures? All cultures change, but it's like people have a panic attack when the cultures are changing as a result of immigrants.

it begins
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:05:50 pm by LordSlowpoke »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: April 24, 2014, 12:31:40 pm »

I don't know about the lowest immigration rate in the U.K.
If it is, then you really don't need more immigrants. A town close to mine, Portadown, used to be a, as you put it "Ulster Scot + Native Irish" mix. And it still is, but there are now huge amounts of the Portuguese as well. Maybe it's a localised problem, but it's the same in Lurgan and many other towns/cities. And it does show. It's not a good culture change. They form gangs and walk the streets, graffiti has erupted in the areas they settle in, and the close knit communities that used to be there, with neighbour helping neighbour, are simply gone.
But my statement didn't really apply to Northern Ireland as a single unit. It referred to the U.K. as a whole. Immigration needs to be controlled, and with said control wouldn't be a problem. And no, I wasn't referring to Muslims. Though in the U.K. as a whole, I suppose your assumption that they force their culture is correct.
TUV is the Traditional Unionist Voice. It's more conservative than anything, so I suppose it may seem similar. It stands for equality under the law, and also for maintenance of the Union.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: April 24, 2014, 01:09:55 pm »

Yes, culture changes. And so it should. But it should be a culture influenced by those of that nation. Immigration changes culture of one country to that of another, even if only by small degrees. And also, the "panic attack" could be because immigration is one of the few things we can control about culture.

Edit: Culture changes are also slow. Immigration speeds it up, and quickly changes the culture that you grew up in, love and know to disappear. Immigration makes the change visible, and within one lifetime.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:13:13 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: April 24, 2014, 01:16:08 pm »

there are now huge amounts of the Portuguese as well.
i know what you mean. they're a huge problem over here as well

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: April 24, 2014, 01:27:16 pm »

Yes, culture changes. And so it should. But it should be a culture influenced by those of that nation. Immigration changes culture of one country to that of another, even if only by small degrees. And also, the "panic attack" could be because immigration is one of the few things we can control about culture.

Edit: Culture changes are also slow. Immigration speeds it up, and quickly changes the culture that you grew up in, love and know to disappear. Immigration makes the change visible, and within one lifetime.
Ah, so you're not bothered about culture changing so long as you can't see it, basically?

Well, the age of the internet's buggering that up for you, I imagine.
?
What, no. You wondered why there was so much hype. I answered that. Because it is observable to the public and not the product of the nation itself, but from an external source.

I don't want culture to change, but understand that it must. It's for the best. I'm not in some hole of denial. But I do believe that said culture changes should originate from the country that houses them. I understand that can't happen, it's merely a wish. Immigration should be controlled, but not specifically because of culture. For the housing market, for the types of people who are allowed entrance and for the changes that some try to impose. Owlbread's example of Muslims can be used here.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: April 24, 2014, 02:25:17 pm »

So immigrants should have no effect in culture whatsoever?
If they stick to their own culture, that's fine. If others want to join it, that's fine. That's free will, and free choice. Anything else is "The whole don't force cultures on people thing." I'm saying I like the culture as it is, and don't want it to change. But I know that it will, and when it does change, I want it to be from within the nation-whether that be the local African who no longer classes himself as African, but sees himself as British, or the youth born in Britain. What I don't like are groups of people immigrating and not seeing themselves as British, just an overseas extension of their old country, and so try to influence the culture that way. "Welcome to the real world," you say, but in my previous post I said that a static culture is unrealistic and not healthy, much as I like it how it is.

And culture isn't even my main reason for a controlled immigration. It does make the old culture weaker, and that is true. I wish it wouldn't, but that is an unrealistic wish. As long as it's a willing process, that's fine. I repeat, from my previous post-
"Immigration should be controlled, but not specifically because of culture. For the housing market, for the types of people who are allowed entrance and for the changes that some try to impose. Owlbread's example of Muslims can be used here."

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:27:23 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 1393