Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752026 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4380 on: March 23, 2014, 04:51:35 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/23/sharia-law-enshrined-in-uk-legal-system_n_5016396.html

Not too familiar with the british law and not too sure what are the implications..

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: March 23, 2014, 04:58:48 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/23/sharia-law-enshrined-in-uk-legal-system_n_5016396.html

Not too familiar with the british law and not too sure what are the implications..

I believe this may be a matter for English law only, but it's never clear in these articles. There is not one single legal system across the Isles you see, there are now four. We should be safe from such aberrations.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: March 23, 2014, 05:49:11 pm »

Huh. Unless I'm mistaken, someone published a guide on how to write Sharia-friendly laws within the existing English legal system and everyone proceeded to flip right out. Not that I'm a fan of sharia law, mind you, but this doesn't look shady or even very remarkable. Unless... Does England have strict rules on how to disburse inheritance?
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: March 23, 2014, 05:53:19 pm »

Does England have strict rules on how to disburse inheritance?
Oh yea, very strict! Luckily it only applies to the monarchy, the common plebs aren't worth the legislation.

Anyway, looks somewhat harmless, not an actual implementation of Sharia law. From what I understand the "THEY WANT TO FORCE SHARIA LAW ON US!" rubbish has become so popular over there that now any mention of it is headline worthy.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: March 23, 2014, 05:53:35 pm »

Given that even the opponent quoted in the article said "Everyone is free to do as it will with its will", I don't think so. I guess it might be considered uncool for the particular organization that did it if Sharia law regarding inheritance is discriminatory against women, but that's it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: March 23, 2014, 06:00:29 pm »

Well, it does specifically say in their holy books to spread Sharia law. Their methods may vary, or they may not care, but the majority would seem to want it. And most of that stuff is ridiculously outdated. I think there was a while ago in London some Muslim men tried to parade their estates with guns to forcibly enforce it, too.

And it may not be reasonable, but I still think we shouldn't call people who are afraid of losing their national identity as speaking "rubbish." There is a problem with it. It is not as bad as "OH DEAR GOODNESS THEY'RE FORCING IT ON US" But over time it could grow to be an issue, even politically with each MP wanting to get votes from the Muslim community.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: March 23, 2014, 06:16:43 pm »

Government intervenes at school 'taken over’ by Muslim radicals
In extensive interviews with The Sunday Telegraph, more than a dozen sources disclosed how children at one supposedly non-religious primary school, Oldknow, were led in anti-Christian chanting by one of their teachers at assembly.
The school also conducts weekly Friday prayers, has organised at least three school trips to Mecca subsidised from public funds, and requires all pupils to learn Arabic — almost unheard of at a primary school.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: March 23, 2014, 07:30:50 pm »

bwhahahaha
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: March 24, 2014, 01:58:25 am »

See that is pretty bad stuff, and I don't approve of injecting your religion into any secular system, but it is interesting that when it is Muslims suddenly there is genuine need to panic, but when it is Christians they call it the weekly scripture class. When I was in public primary school a guy came around every week and taught us all about the bible and how great Jesus was and all that crap, and nobody bat an eyelid.
Then again it is hard to tell if this is a real double standard, or if society in general has matured a little from when I was that young, and now actually expects a secular education system.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: March 24, 2014, 02:18:34 am »

Obviously, people react differently to muslims than to christians, But did your school ever subsidised pilgrimages to jerusalem?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: March 24, 2014, 02:48:19 am »

Obviously, people react differently to muslims than to christians, But did your school ever subsidised pilgrimages to jerusalem?

I thought the trips were the least worrying things about the school.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: March 24, 2014, 02:48:52 am »

Not the trips, but still like prayers seems pretty common at least in Scotland from what Owlbread said. Not sure in England and Wales.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: March 24, 2014, 02:57:38 am »

I'm pretty sure they would have if they thought they could get away with it... Maybe we need more bureaucrats here to rubber stamp paperwork?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: March 24, 2014, 03:41:35 am »

We had subsidized pilgrimages to Jerusalem. Last time around 1300. Then we decided it's kind of a bad idea.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: March 24, 2014, 04:44:50 am »

Not the trips, but still like prayers seems pretty common at least in Scotland from what Owlbread said. Not sure in England and Wales.

In my Primary School we said grace every day before lunch.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 1393