Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752035 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4410 on: March 24, 2014, 09:04:04 am »

Isn't there something similar in Israel with Jews not allowed to pray on the Al-Aqsa mosque ground or something?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: March 24, 2014, 09:29:43 am »

Its slightly different here.

Most of the rabbis maintain that jews shouldn't be even allowed to enter temple mount because its too holy, but yeah, although its legally permitted, jews can't pray in the temple as to not upset the easily offended muslims.

But praying your religion in a different religion temple, well, i find it pretty offensive, and right now, al aqza is a muslim temple.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: March 24, 2014, 09:50:43 am »

Can they enter?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: March 24, 2014, 11:06:59 am »

daily act of collective worship
All of my WUT.

It's probably different now but when my mother was in school in London they would finish every day with a prayer. It's particularly noticable in English boarding schools where they have "chapel" etc. She was in a working class, ethnically diverse comprehensive though.

Even when I was in High School though every Christmas and Easter the school would organise an "Easter Service" or "Christmas Service" in the assembly hall. A minister would give a sermon and we'd all sing hymns. Some kids were nominated to read out selected bible passages to the whole school. This was pretty much a "done thing" like Sports Day or Prizegiving; everyone went.
All of that is ridiculous and truly repulsive from where I'm standing. Religion becoming a "done thing" is one of the elements a society needs to avoid like the plague.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: March 24, 2014, 11:13:22 am »

Actually, the prevalence of religiously motivated tosh like that probably contributed massively to the huge number of agnostic/atheist individuals in the UK compared to people who still attend CofE. It was a bind on people and a waste of time, so thought of in a negative light by those with no religious conviction and as a result people turned their back on it as soon as given a chance. Not that I am saying that forcing it on people was a good thing - far from it - but at least the long term impact was kind of for the best (assuming you agree with me that secular societies do not need religion).
This is a blank sig.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: March 24, 2014, 12:14:01 pm »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: March 24, 2014, 12:26:22 pm »

All of that is ridiculous and truly repulsive from where I'm standing. Religion becoming a "done thing" is one of the elements a society needs to avoid like the plague.

Indeed,  though as MonkeyHead says the overall effect seems to have been to the advantage of the secularists like ourselves. When I was going to that same High School I remember that if you actually went to Church on Sundays you would be seen as a Jesus freak. One of the most hated archetypes in the UK is the god-botherer.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: March 24, 2014, 12:34:14 pm »

Not the trips, but still like prayers seems pretty common at least in Scotland from what Owlbread said. Not sure in England and Wales.

You forgot Northern Ireland.

Just read through the rest. I have to say, I see no problem. I was brought up in that. Assembly has the Lord's Prayer, passage from the bible (Giving a good, morally strong message) and then go off happy as Larry.

Nothing is forced, except attendance to assembly. You don't want to say the Lord's Prayer, you don't. If a country wants to maintain their religious identity, it's up to them. It is a democracy, after all.

And you can't say "All of my WUT." Atheism is as viable as religion. There is no proof there isn't a God. Let people respect their God daily, but maintain the freedom of the individual.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:50:16 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: March 24, 2014, 01:04:22 pm »

Quote from: article
Oldknow’s pupils are mostly but not entirely Muslim
Heh, replace 'Muslim' with 'Christian' and this article would be a little too close to a lot of small rural-American schools. In contrast to what MonkeyHead and Owlbread are describing, the official church/state separation here seems to foster a "let's see what we can get away with, poor persecuted us" mentality. Especially among conversion-happy types like the Baptists. No spending state funds on religious stuff that I can remember, but my high school science teacher was a vehement young-earth creationist...

Given that England is officially Anglican, this type of thing will probably be a recurring problem in Muslim-majority areas. I guess one of the lessons here is 'nothing reinforces an ideology like a persecution complex, even if you're the majority'.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: March 24, 2014, 01:09:34 pm »

Heh, replace 'Muslim' with 'Christian' and this article would be a little too close to a lot of small rural-American schools. In contrast to what MonkeyHead and Owlbread are describing, the official church/state separation here seems to foster a "let's see what we can get away with, poor persecuted us" mentality. Especially among conversion-happy types like the Baptists. No spending state funds on religious stuff that I can remember, but my high school science teacher was a vehement young-earth creationist...

Given that England is officially Anglican, this type of thing will probably be a recurring problem in Muslim-majority areas. I guess one of the lessons here is 'nothing reinforces an ideology like a persecution complex, even if you're the majority'.

Not just ideology. Any group. Literally any at all. If you want to make a group cohesive, give them an enemy. Ideologies are the strongest when they have an enemy - be it something specific, or just all unbelievers.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: March 24, 2014, 01:15:31 pm »

Not just ideology. Any group. Literally any at all. If you want to make a group cohesive, give them an enemy. Ideologies are the strongest when they have an enemy - be it something specific, or just all unbelievers.
That's completely true. Look at those idiots, the EDL. The message is more than a bit over done, despite having a valid fear at the root. Personally, I believe that if you move to a country, you don't try to change its religion. Keep your own, don't force the system. No one minds the Jews, because they don't kick up a religious fuss and act superior.

Suppose I should mention that I'm agnostic, in case I come across as a fanatical Christian or somesuch :P What I said applies to every religion in every country.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: March 24, 2014, 01:28:20 pm »

* scriver coughs uneasily and subtly motions towards the ultra-orthodox crowd
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: March 24, 2014, 01:31:10 pm »

I know what I am. Don't insult me.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: March 24, 2014, 01:36:39 pm »

I know what I am. Don't insult me.

...Er. What? It was referring to the line about "Jews don't kick up a religious fuss and act superior".
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: March 24, 2014, 01:42:14 pm »

Ah, oops, sorry. I took a cursory glance at it and associated it with something someone else said in the RAAGE thread. It had something to do with orthodoxy, and they tried to say (Through a misreading mistake, I think) that I wasn't agnostic.

Sorry about the mix up there. :P

I responded before I thought  :-[
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 1393