Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751987 times)

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4335 on: March 18, 2014, 02:52:42 pm »

Posting this picture was more entertaining than I thought.

Though you guys couldn't be more wrong about it.
It was made by szarvas who is a gif wizard on tumblr, he has a minor connection to the liberal media.
If I remember it right the origin of the picture was that a motorist bombed a banking center after closing time so that's the reason why the AK and the RPG point at the currencies.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: March 18, 2014, 03:01:04 pm »

Why the arabic?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: March 18, 2014, 03:15:17 pm »

Because radical Islamism is connected to Arabs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:18:55 pm by WarRoot »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: March 18, 2014, 03:31:00 pm »

Has this been linked here yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O37yJBFRrfg

Suddenly I understand how crazy the EU is :V

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: March 18, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »

Actually, you can get to the UK without a passport, at least for most EU countries. It's just that they have the right to ask for one, they just choose not to.

Anyway, the US, with its state, territories, dependencies, Puerto Rico, US citizens and nationals, protectorate etc etc is a mess too.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: March 18, 2014, 03:57:14 pm »

Posting this picture was more entertaining than I thought.

Though you guys couldn't be more wrong about it.
It was made by szarvas who is a gif wizard on tumblr, he has a minor connection to the liberal media.
If I remember it right the origin of the picture was that a motorist bombed a banking center after closing time so that's the reason why the AK and the RPG point at the currencies.
And we hadn't even started with conspiracy theories yet.  ;)

Has this been linked here yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O37yJBFRrfg

Suddenly I understand how crazy the EU is :V
You think that's crazy?  ;) That's nothing, just some basic stuff. Territorial issues are the least of the EU's problems, most citizens aren't even affected by it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: March 18, 2014, 04:41:52 pm »

Yeah, that's only a very thing selections of the interesting things that happen within the European Union. I mean, there's a reason why EU decisions on cabbages tend to be longer than most constitutions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: March 18, 2014, 04:50:55 pm »

Actually, you can get to the UK without a passport, at least for most EU countries. It's just that they have the right to ask for one, they just choose not to.
Ayup. Had to show my ID though, which is sort of the same thing*

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: March 18, 2014, 05:43:17 pm »

About Ukraine, because implications for the whole of our glorious Motherland that chick that was almost raped by a bull once Europe:
Apparently shots have been fired on Crimea, and the Ukrainian military has been authorized to use their weaponry in self-defense. War is a very real possibility.
Any thoughts on how Europe should react?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: March 18, 2014, 05:52:38 pm »

He said "should", not "will". Sending observers should be good. I'm afraid this will turn into Georgia all over again. The 58th army that invaded Georgia is on Ukraine's borders.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: March 18, 2014, 06:18:36 pm »

Soldiers would be more a NATO thing, nothing the EU could do. Maybe we should remember suddenly that we had scheduled some huge maneuvers in Poland and the Baltic a long time ago.  ;) That could help calm down the Eastern EU states a bit.
What the EU should do is continue negotiations and apply sanctions as necessary. Sanctions have just started anyway, they can still go much further if necessary.
Negotiations seem to run more through the various national government channels anyway, rather than EU channels.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: March 18, 2014, 06:19:51 pm »

As much as Ukrainian Ranger may hate me for saying this, it's times like this I wish Scotland was independent so the lives of our young men won't depend on the good judgement of a government we never voted for in the first place.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: March 18, 2014, 06:25:26 pm »

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure the Scottish can vote, just like, you know, those English people.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: March 18, 2014, 06:34:51 pm »

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure the Scottish can vote, just like, you know, those English people.

The Scottish electorate can vote, but we did not elect the current government in Westminster that represent us in every meaningful way and make the decisions about war, defence etc.

The problem is that no matter who we vote for (we've voted Labour consistently since the 1960s) we are unable to influence the results of elections without enough of the English electorate voting our way too. Everything hinges on the English vote, but that's just fair - England has a population over 10 times the size of Scotland. We've been able to influence the outcome of some votes by doing things like turning a Labour minority into a Labour majority, but that didn't protect us from Thatcher, nor from this government either.

Here is an article explaining the situation better than I can right now.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: March 18, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »

I can understand the sentiment, though. If your entire voting area consistently goes one way, but are over-ruled by a majority elsewhere, that's a problem.

Of course, where you draw the line is another question... A city? Especially one like New York that could conceivably sustain itself as a city-state. Is it just enough to be consistently divergent from the majority, or do you need to have a historical excuse (cultural homogeneity, or a nation/state)?

But a cultural bloc/nation like Scotland or Quebec is a good place to start, I'd say. Not being able to fix it perfectly is not an excuse to not fix it at all, just a reason to make sure you do it as mindfully and openly as possible (so you don't cut off future solutions from being used)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:06:28 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 1393