Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745652 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #570 on: May 28, 2013, 01:23:11 pm »

How do you prove intent to harm?

I was once arrested for "being suspected of having the intention of committing a misdemeanor". (Only an administrative arrest where they hold you for a maximum of 12h, nothing serious). How can I prove I didn't have the intention of committing anything?

Surely you must know you can't tell us something like that without us asking what it was for. You tease us so.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 28, 2013, 01:29:16 pm »

If they can't prove intent they shouldn't arrest people. That's arbitrary detention.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 28, 2013, 01:33:04 pm »

We have this "neutral zone" in Brussels which include much of the official buildings (Parliament, the King's Palace, the prime minister's house) where any protest is banned by a city ordinance.

I was part of an officially non-political rave party that congregated on the edge of that neutral zone and planned to go on in front of the Prime Minister's house. Nothing heavily political, just an expression of general fed-up at our politicians inability to do anything.

Someone didn't like the idea, and the police rounded up around 400 persons before they got into the neutral zone.

The irony is that I got late and the kettle was already closed, but some cops grabbed me and threw me in because I got too close (I was looking for some friend inside the kettle). Cops really went mad and at some point they were just arresting anyone passing by.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 28, 2013, 01:34:50 pm »

I remember hearing at one point people had beard protests in Belgium; people would grow beards and only shave them off when they finally got a government.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 28, 2013, 01:39:45 pm »

Yeah, some actor started that, and I saw a few beard growing.  :P

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 28, 2013, 01:42:34 pm »

I think I'm going to make a pledge that if we don't get our independence in 2014 I won't shave until we do; on independence day I will wear a victory moustache with the ends waxed up with pride.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 28, 2013, 01:44:53 pm »

Owlbread, i want every argument, and i want it in a devoted thread. I've heard much and more about it but I'd like to hear a coherent case.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 28, 2013, 01:46:47 pm »

My point was that despite a very low number of Islamist terrorist attacks (around 1-2 years, counting foiled and failed attacks), a lot of Muslims are arrested for terrorism-related offense. It's all in the Europol reports. Islamists account for less than 1% of attacks, but 40% of arrests in Europe. So yeah, some Muslims that would have posted that kind of bull**** would have been arrested for terrorism, not some lesser offense like "inciting racial hatred".
Yes, exactly.  The idea that they wouldn't treat an Islamist threat posted online seriously is laughable.

I mean, I guess there's maybe a free speech argument to be had here somewhere, but I don't think it would've been preferable to wait until he'd gone out and seriously injured some Muslims before arresting him.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 28, 2013, 01:47:04 pm »

I think I'm going to make a pledge that if we don't get our independence in 2014 I won't shave until we do; on independence day I will wear a victory moustache with the ends waxed up with pride.
"Scottish world-record holder dies of broken neck due to beard overburden, to be given state funeral in London."
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 28, 2013, 01:47:23 pm »

Owlbread, i want every argument, and i want it in a devoted thread. I've heard much and more about it but I'd like to hear a coherent case.

But I'd have to bronze myself like a Spartan warrior before I embark on such a journey. I wouldn't leave the thread until 6 o'clock in the morning either, that's why I just let it simmer away in the background. It's like postponing a particular essay or piece of work you have to do because you know it's going to be enormous.

"Scottish world-record holder dies of broken neck due to beard overburden, to be given state funeral in London."

I just have to sig that.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 28, 2013, 01:47:46 pm »

-snip, double post, sorry-

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 28, 2013, 01:48:17 pm »

Still worth it. I've heard too much for you to hold out on me. You said it yourself  :P.
Reading a thinner book

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 28, 2013, 01:50:20 pm »

Still worth it. I've heard too much for you to hold out on me. You said it yourself  :P.

This is all coming back to haunt me. I will probably make a thread in November time after the SNP publish their white paper on independence. Right now they're still developing their model of an independent Scotland that we're going to vote for, so although I've got a rough idea of it I'd rather wait until then.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 28, 2013, 01:51:36 pm »

This is all coming back to haunt me. I will probably make a thread in November time after the SNP publish their white paper on independence. Right now they're still developing their model of an independent Scotland that we're going to vote for, so although I've got a rough idea of it I'd rather wait until then.

Well, for now tell me your thoughts on the SNP. I presume you don't trust them.
Reading a thinner book

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 28, 2013, 01:52:25 pm »

Well, for now tell me your thoughts on the SNP. I presume you don't trust them.
Oh boy, here we go.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 1393