Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745382 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #600 on: May 28, 2013, 04:20:32 pm »

Except they're not terrorists, they're average run of the mill football yobbos.
Faith Matters, an organisation working to reduce extremism and interfaith tensions, has been one of the most cited sources for those who have noted an increase in anti-Muslim activity.

Their site features a statement on the 162 calls received since Wednesday, up from a daily average of between four and six. To report these numbers, Faith Matters have drawn upon one of their pre-existing projects, Tell MAMA, whose name is an acronym explaining what they do, Measuring Anti-Muslim Attacks.

In its first 12 months since launching in March 2012, Tell MAMA reported that there had been 632 anti-Muslim hate incidents, 58% of which were against women. If reliable, Tell MAMA's reports over the past week represent a 15-fold increase on last year's average.

They have also recorded ten attacks against mosques since Wednesday as shown below. These incidents, which have occurred across the UK, include smashed windows, attempted arson and, in the case of Cardiff's Shah Jalal mosque, bacon being left outside.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2013/may/28/attacks-on-muslims-numbers-detail

Once again; Is this still just rhetoric coming from these right-wing terrorists [who also like soccer]? If there were Muslims demonstrating en masse and throwing firebombs into churches you'd be less tame I'm sure.

And yes, this is terrorism:
ter·ror·ism 
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Their political aim is to ostracize and expunge Muslims. So far they've done a good job of making Muslims [often rightfully so] feel unsafe in their own country. Or if you happen to look Muslim. That's always nice.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:27:01 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #601 on: May 28, 2013, 04:37:30 pm »

Once again; Is this still just rhetoric coming from these right-wing terrorists [who also like soccer]?
Football. There is a very large football subculture based around mob mentality. This is important.

If there were Muslims demonstrating en masse and throwing firebombs into churches you'd be less tame I'm sure.
Ah yes, I disagree with imprisoning people for expressing intense hatred, I must be a right-wing-conservative-fundementalist-Christian being apologetic for the massacre of Muslims.

No.

It's the line I talked about, I defend the right for people to say things like: 'Behead those who insult Islam.'
When they behead people, it's a different matter altogether.
Straw harder.

And yes, this is terrorism:
ter·ror·ism 
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Their political aim is to ostracize and expunge Muslims. So far they've done a good job of making Muslims [often rightfully so] feel unsafe in their own country.
Definition of mob
noun
1. A large crowd of people, especially one that is disorderly and intent on causing trouble or violence:
a mob of protesters.
Unless you mean to say any violence intended to instill terror is terrorism, then just about everything is terrorism.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 28, 2013, 04:39:32 pm »

just about everything is terrorism.
This is the standard policy approach on the government level, right?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 28, 2013, 04:52:05 pm »

Loud Whispers, I'm waiting for a practical argument. If there hadn't been a deterrent i doubt the last few days would be any better.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #604 on: May 28, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »

Loud Whispers, I'm waiting for a practical argument. If there hadn't been a deterrent i doubt the last few days would be any better.
Practical argument for what in particular?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 28, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »

For leaving them to it?
Reading a thinner book

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #606 on: May 28, 2013, 05:18:10 pm »

For leaving them to it?
Leaving them to what? Spout ignorant crap on facebook? Did you even see how many people spoke out in defence of the innocent Muslims who were being persecuted?

I'd suggest doing nothing and encouraging society to educate the next generation on how to be better people whilst supporting the current ones in integration and acceptance.

This intense media saturation of anti-muslim attacks and selective coverage of arrested yobs has only succeeded in encouraging the hatred and xenophobia, and they know this. By arresting people calling for violence and sending them to prison, you make them into a criminal - one who will eventually be back on the streets, one who is already being called a terrorist. This is a more terrifying prospect than people saying 'kill all x.'

Placate them with communication - positive actions. Communication is so much more powerful than galvanizing their hatred.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 28, 2013, 05:23:17 pm »

It's not happening to me so it must not be persecution, right?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 28, 2013, 05:24:50 pm »

Did anyone post this blog post by Russel Brand yet? I do feel it makes a summary of recent events quite well.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #609 on: May 28, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »

It's not happening to me so it must not be persecution, right?
No, it is quite literally persecution.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 28, 2013, 06:08:56 pm »

I doubt that ignoring it, combined with the media focus, would help more then the current setup, particularly if they notice.

As for Russel Brands blog, what's all this about the establishment? Has he changed dramatically? It's not what i remember him for at any rate. On the other hand, at least he's astute enough to note that extremism is an outlet not a cause. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on his points about "culturally neglected" white working class men, and football violence as the only access of social power. I know little enough about football, and understanding it better would be useful.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:11:38 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #611 on: May 28, 2013, 06:11:38 pm »

I doubt that ignoring it, combined with the media focus, would help more then the current setup, particularly if they notice.
I did not say ignore it. I proposed letting the betters of communication increase understanding.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 08, 2013, 02:15:40 pm »

How's PRISM going over where you are?
Reading a thinner book

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 08, 2013, 02:47:05 pm »

Not heard a lot of it. Granted, I'm in exams, so I'm kinda shut off from the outside world.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 08, 2013, 02:52:34 pm »

Nope, it just hasn't been mentioned. At all.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 1393