Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748344 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9210 on: August 16, 2014, 03:21:03 pm »

Don't jinx it UR, if it comes to war everyone's already lost.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: August 16, 2014, 03:34:05 pm »

I doubt that I am that powerful jinxer...

But just in case if I am:

Hmmm.... Siberia will start an independence war in the next few months!

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: August 16, 2014, 03:49:02 pm »

Siberia? Naaahhhh.

Urist McFreedomFighter cancels riot: too cold
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: August 16, 2014, 03:50:20 pm »

Don't jinx it UR, if it comes to war everyone's already lost.

Well, if Russia attacks and there is no war, then only Ukraine lost; so war is a more favourable outcome then.

Because, when I said before that sane people prefer war to Russia, it is because war tends to be less devastating to society and country than Russia. We have had a few wars here, and Russia was here a few times too, we can compare the two.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: August 16, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »

I dunno, I live in Russia for more than 20 years and I'm still alive.

I doubt that I would be alive after 20 years of war.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:02:37 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: August 16, 2014, 04:08:27 pm »

Like how staying alive is the main priority. Tells a thing or two about a person
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: August 16, 2014, 04:18:05 pm »

I was outlining the stupidity of comparing Russia and war. Especially when coupled with saying that Russia is somehow worse than war. Which is dumb because people die in wars much more often than in Russia. And being dead is bad, because when you're dead you cannot advance the world further.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9217 on: August 16, 2014, 04:23:27 pm »

Well, if Russia attacks and there is no war, then only Ukraine lost; so war is a more favourable outcome then.
Because, when I said before that sane people prefer war to Russia, it is because war tends to be less devastating to society and country than Russia. We have had a few wars here, and Russia was here a few times too, we can compare the two.
The effects of whatever happens in Ukraine will be felt globally BK, everything else is preferable to war.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: August 16, 2014, 04:27:36 pm »

Sergarr
You want to compare by body-count ignoring other stuff? OK

1933: Holodomor: Total deaths : 2.4 to 7.5 million.

That is only one year of Russia in Ukraine. And that is what will repeat if Russia will win that war (or we give up without a fight). Europe will express many-many deep concerns while Ukrainians will be genocided again

Loud Whispers
Yes. I know. For Europe millions of dead Ukrainians will be preferable to war

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: August 16, 2014, 04:27:59 pm »

1) it's humanitarian aid, the citizens (and probably rebels/terrorists, too...) out there need it and nobody else (except for Ukraine) is moving in to provide it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/15/world/europe/a-ukraine-city-under-siege-just-terrified-of-the-bombing.html
“I have everything I need but peace,” Valentina Simonyenko, a retiree standing in line for water from a spring, said Thursday. Later, she said, she would buy bread. “Look around, everybody is just terrified of the bombing.”

Russians confirmed for living in alternative reality.  Again.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: August 16, 2014, 04:34:11 pm »

Sergarr,
And forgot one thing. Expect millions of dead Russians after economy of your country will collapse and Putin will recreate new USSR with extreme poverty, militarization and Gulag 2.0. That will happen. That is the direction Russia heading.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: August 16, 2014, 04:49:21 pm »

USSR circa 1922: A country which has barely survived after 4 years of world war, then two revolutions, then 4 years of civil war, with illiterate populace, destroyed economy and encircled by enemies from all sides.

USSR circa 1957: A country, after ANOTHER 4 year world war, after having half of it's production territory occupied, has become one of only two superpowers on the planet, has launched the first satellite into orbit, has nuclear reactors producing electricity, with literate populace and high-precision industry required for space and nuclear technologies.

Russia can literally turn from a complete wreck of a country surrounded by enemies into a technological superpower in only 35 years. Wanna bet this will happen again?
._.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: August 16, 2014, 05:05:05 pm »

And how many people will suffer before this new "Golden age" type-deal comes back again? An entire country?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: August 16, 2014, 05:07:42 pm »

Considering that the USSR's ability to do things was plagued by Stalin's purges from the time of him coming into power until it collapsed, I'd have to dispute your analysis, Sergarr.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: August 16, 2014, 05:13:06 pm »

Dispute what? The fact that USSR has turned into a superpower from a wreck in 35 years? The purges were bad, but they weren't the thing that made USSR strong. Scientists, engineers, mass education, literacy, mechanization of agriculture and electrification of all cities and most villages (an extraordinary feat, considering the harsh natural conditions in Russia) are the things that made USSR into, well, USSR.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1393