Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1352 1353 [1354] 1355 1356 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743212 times)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #20295 on: September 17, 2015, 12:47:31 pm »

Quite a stark contrast:
Middle Eastern refugees

Hungarian refugees

Make what you want of it.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20296 on: September 17, 2015, 01:31:33 pm »

Corbyn is counter to the agenda of most of the British people.
So is basically every political party, none of them can get even as much as 40% of the vote in an election. (SNP being the exception, with 50% of the Scottish vote and still rising in the polls for the Holyrood elections.)
And basically every political party is not trying to destroy Great Britain, so what of it?
SNP won in Scotland exactly because they are Old Labour. Old Labour should do well if elections are held tomorrow.
When the two main parties are right wing with right face, and right wing with left face, why would you opt for the latter?

The main challenge is, rather, an MP revolt, especially when they might have just claimed that "I was elected on a New Labour platform so I need not restand for a proper new labour without the Trots"

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20297 on: September 17, 2015, 02:24:44 pm »

Game of showing pictures that fit your own views?

Though, I think one of those pictures is a bit outdated.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #20298 on: September 17, 2015, 02:32:03 pm »

And now you're telling me there's something in Britain besides london.* What madness this world reaps.
Also, there may be a non-zero chance I'm not being entirely serious, either. Just maybe.
*I guess you could tack on "That matters" to that, but why bother?
Hey, I'll have you know Northern Ireland is a very valuable costs-eight-billion-pounds-a-year-to-maintain part of the country.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #20299 on: September 17, 2015, 02:34:00 pm »

Next election may be more interesting than last, which as far as I can tell was basically only won because every political party exploded horrifically at once, and Conservatives someone exploded the least by promising "No really things will be better when we lose the Liberal Democrats, them being the only shred of humanity in this government is really holding us back! Why, we're barely even half-way through building the Death Star!"...

But I've become increasingly politically cynical, so cynical I oddly shot to a level of "Hey let's just be idealistic and fuck the consequences! If the world burns because of that, it didn't deserve to not burn in the first place! Vote Green! Woo!" I'd never reached before.

You know, I may actually vote Labour if things keep up like this...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:37:00 pm by MorleyDev »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20300 on: September 17, 2015, 09:13:29 pm »

Or this: an Iraqi islamic extremist got killed while trying to stab a policewoman in Berlin. He was known to the german authorities after being caught plotting to kill an Iraqi prime minister, but they couldn't deport him thanks to his refugee status.

Gee, if only there were provisions in refugee status that you not be dangerous or a criminal.  Oh wait... The guy had been a German for 20 years and the crimes were committed when he was a German.

When your movement starts getting angry that the law fails to do things that the law actually does, it's time to take a step the fuck back and rethink what kind of political movement you are letting shape your worldview.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20301 on: September 17, 2015, 09:22:40 pm »

There are?  Now, I'm purely an armchair lawyer in this sense, but from the most recent legally-binding EU directive on the matter that I could find, Directive 2011/95/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 December 2011 on standards for the qualification of third-country nationals or stateless persons as beneficiaries of international protection, for a uniform status for refugees or for persons eligible for subsidiary protection, and for the content of the protection granted...

Article 11: Cessation

1.   A third-country national or a stateless person shall cease to be a refugee if he or she:
(a) has voluntarily re-availed himself or herself of the protection of the country of nationality; or
(b) having lost his or her nationality, has voluntarily re-acquired it; or
(c) has acquired a new nationality, and enjoys the protection of the country of his or her new nationality; or
(d) has voluntarily re-established himself or herself in the country which he or she left or outside which he or she remained owing to fear of persecution; or
(e) can no longer, because the circumstances in connection with which he or she has been recognised as a refugee have ceased to exist, continue to refuse to avail himself or herself of the protection of the country of nationality; or
(f) being a stateless person, he or she is able, because the circumstances in connection with which he or she has been recognised as a refugee have ceased to exist, to return to the country of former habitual residence.

2.   In considering points (e) and (f) of paragraph 1, Member States shall have regard to whether the change of circumstances is of such a significant and non-temporary nature that the refugee’s fear of persecution can no longer be regarded as well-founded.

3.   Points (e) and (f) of paragraph 1 shall not apply to a refugee who is able to invoke compelling reasons arising out of previous persecution for refusing to avail himself or herself of the protection of the country of nationality or, being a stateless person, of the country of former habitual residence.

Those are the only reasons a refugee can be stripped of refugee status - if they become a citizen of a country where they'll be safe, if circumstances back home change so that they will be safe, or if they simply go home of their own accord.  Doesn't specify if said refugee is considered to be a criminal in the country in which they have gained refugee status.  They may be punished according to the law of the nation, but there doesn't seem to be a provision that allows them to be stripped of refugee status if they still qualify under its terms (which also don't have provisions for criminal activity). 

EDIT: I should probably reiterate that I could easily be wrong, and I'd love to be proven so.  That said, if it isn't, it could be something that calls for an amendment, though by the same token it does open a whole 'nother Pandora's box.  For instance, all those Syrian refugees in Hungary?  Charge them with trespassing, loitering, or that most wonderful catch-all for the ill-willed official of the law, disturbing the public peace.  That's a criminal offense, and a particularly-inclined government could use that as a loophole to deny them refugee status.  Which may well be why it isn't included, come to think of it. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:27:35 pm by Culise »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20302 on: September 17, 2015, 10:22:49 pm »

Look one article down, Article 12: Exclusion.  Section 2

2.   A third-country national or a stateless person is excluded from being a refugee where there are serious reasons for considering that:
(a)
he or she has committed a crime against peace, a war crime, or a crime against humanity, as defined in the international instruments drawn up to make provision in respect of such crimes;
(b)
he or she has committed a serious non-political crime outside the country of refuge prior to his or her admission as a refugee, which means the time of issuing a residence permit based on the granting of refugee status; particularly cruel actions, even if committed with an allegedly political objective, may be classified as serious non-political crimes;
(c)
he or she has been guilty of acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations as set out in the Preamble and Articles 1 and 2 of the Charter of the United Nations.

Conspiracy to commit a political assassination pretty much invalidates you from being a refugee on all three accounts.

And then later on one of the reasons for revoking is:

he or she should have been or is excluded from being a refugee in accordance with Article 12;

This is actually related to the really dickish thing that Hungary is doing, which is that they are logging a lot of refugees as criminals in the Europol database with the crime of illegal immigration.  As a result, if those people do make it into an EU country, they'll have an additional legal complication for their status.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:31:15 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20303 on: September 18, 2015, 01:27:22 am »

I believe the reason he was not deported was that Iraq still has the death penalty. Human rights, yo.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20304 on: September 18, 2015, 04:45:48 am »

Finland is closed because communist unions are refusing to let the good people work for the greater good.

Approximately 30 000 individuals, at least 90% of them anarchist infiltrators, have showed up at the raucous and disorderly riot demonstration.

Damning evidence from the anarchists' Twitter feed:

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20305 on: September 18, 2015, 04:51:52 am »

Finland is closed because communist unions are refusing to let the good people work for the greater good.

Approximately 30 000 individuals, at least 90% of them anarchist infiltrators, have showed up at the raucous and disorderly riot demonstration.

Damning evidence from the anarchists' Twitter feed:

I rather like the person dressed as Ronald's sign. Made me chuckle a bit.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20306 on: September 18, 2015, 05:05:27 am »

Finland’s own difficult economic situation
Okay, which country isn't in a difficult economic situation? As long as it's about people complaining about Capitalism and the Free Market our economies are totally fine, but as soon as workers or immigrants are involved they're suddenly all barely able to support the current population.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #20307 on: September 18, 2015, 06:15:52 am »

Well duh, those immigrants are from mostly non-Free market and barely-Capitalist countries. If you let those kind of people in, economy is sure to collapse because they are just unable to adapt. Unable! They have no manners, no civility, they are just swarming our beautiful Europe and demanding stuff! My, they are just a step away from a full-blown communists! Not to mention they are slightly brown! And they are of different religion! It is our right, no no, our DUTY to protect our CULTURE and VALUES, lest we succumb to barbaric ways of the eastern sub-mensch invaders.

Silly Antsam.

In more serious news:
This just in: Croatia to "move migrants on"
After declaring borders shut yesterday with a reasoning Croatia cannot become a migrant hotspot, it seems they will pull a reverse-Merkel. We'll see how this turns out. The move to close-shut borders was expected, but I honestly thought they'd do that earlier. The situation in Croatia is interesting after all, in recent years they saw their nationalistic part of politics strengthen quite much and the current ruling party has some disturbingly far-right tendencies.

Still, as it is a custom with Balkan Slavs, they are usually more concerned with hating their neighbors and themselves so I don't expect (a lot of) spontaneous assaults on migrants or migrant centers a la Germany. But we'll see.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:18:48 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20308 on: September 18, 2015, 10:54:42 am »

Spoiler: wall of text (click to show/hide)
tl;dr
lol jihad

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20309 on: September 18, 2015, 11:28:26 am »

tl;dr of LW's recent posts: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Beard. (sexy, SEXY beard)
Pages: 1 ... 1352 1353 [1354] 1355 1356 ... 1393