Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Whimcrafted succession game  (Read 7186 times)

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whimcrafted succession game
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 09:17:26 pm »

Wait, so is it my turn? Ive been really busy lately so I havent been keeping up  ::)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 10:27:53 pm »

Yup, it's your turn.  I gave up after half a year, demoralized, so I leave the choice to you whether you want to continue from my dire savefile or rewind back to chaosgear's save.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 11:33:50 pm »

Let it be known, folks! It wasn't my fault!
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2013, 01:00:07 am »

Yup, it's your turn.  I gave up after half a year, demoralized, so I leave the choice to you whether you want to continue from my dire savefile or rewind back to chaosgear's save.

Did you just suggest I savescum? Ill never revert to an old save so long as Im still breathing. Aaand I just remembered that I died.

Anyways, Ill play from the current save, cant be too bad. Ill start my turn tomorrow

Sorry, family matters came up recently so I might be busy for a week or two. Can you bump me down two or three turns?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:05:12 pm by UristTheGrey »

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2013, 04:09:13 pm »

Bump
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2013, 08:46:27 pm »

Anyone willing to take the turn of UTG then?

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2013, 01:00:18 am »

Shall we just rotate if no new folks post?

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:33 am »

I'm up for that.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2013, 11:26:55 am »

Okay:  I'm quite busy today and tonight, but tomorrow I have some time.  We'll start back from the top of the list and go back through.

With these necromancers, this has really turned into kind of a challenge embark. :)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2013, 01:20:50 pm »

So, six women and seven kids in the caverns?

Since my own succession game didn't really garner enough interest to start, I'll take a swing at this.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2013, 02:40:25 pm »

Well folks, I tried.

20 Sandstone:
I came to the fortress of Whimcrafted expecting a thriving settlement... Oh, I had no illusions that it wouldn't be troubled, like all new fortresses are, but I expected to find some mass of happy and healthy dwarves in spite of this.

What I discovered was a charnel house.  There were more children than adults among the mass of them, and all but one of the adults were greviously wounded -- Mebil, the last, crazed survivor frantically gathering the webs of some hideous creature that had been the death of the fortress.  Setting the rest of my party to attend to the dead and the dying, I myself decided to speak with him... it seemed that he had been the one to kill the creature, but had become obsessed with it since.  I left him to creating silk from the cast-off slag of that abomination.

Despite knowing nothing about medicine, I've declared myself in charge of tending to the wounded.  I doubt any of them will make it.

10 Timber: Our new party has declared me mayor of this place.  Seems fitting.

15 Timber: Traders have arrived.  Hopefully, we'll be able to scrape together the sense to trade with them

17 Timber: A beast appeared in the depths... I hope it cannot reach us or we'll have to rely on that web-collecting lunatic.

22 Timber: I can see the beast -- Thol, the Deep Abyss.  It howls from a ledge overlooking the wreckage of Whimcrafted's depths, but cannot seem to reach us for now.  The thing seems to be made of vomit, so if there's a crossbow somewhere in this mess...

24 Timber: while scavanging for a weapon, a kobold ambush set upon our depot, traders and all.  My arm was hurt in the exchange, so I'm headed to the same hospital as the former defenders of Whimcrafted.

26 Timber: Thol has reached us... his webs litter the floor and entangle our remaining soldiers.  I fear we may not survive.

10 Moonstone: All our hopes now lie on a chick.  A baby rooster that is the only creature to last for long in a fight against Thol, now known as Thol Heartmine.  It has the creature trapped in the Hospital, but I fear no one shall get in to slay it.

1 Opal: There are only four of us left -- two adults and two children, all dying  I begged the traders to take me with them, but they said that with the fractured, dented arm I acquired, they couldn't afford to, and left me lying on the surface.  At this rate, we'll die of thirst before Thol finishes us denying us even a glorious death.

22 Opal: I'm dying here... the liasion stands over me, refusing to bring me water or food or take me from this place.  This will be my last entry...

Okay everybody... one of the recruits just outside the "hospital" seems immune to thirst.  otherwise, we're all going to dehydrate.  The FB is blindly spraying web everywhere and not finishing off the last living things in Whimcrafted, but we have no Dwarfpower at all -- the one remaining adult is out of comission, permanently even if not dead.  We beat up the FB real good, though that chick may have done more damage than the military, fracturing 5 parts while the military broke 4.  In fact, I think part of the problem may be the inability of that silk-spewing abomination to move because the chick fractured all its legs/feet.  Said chick, a former pet named Bembul Orderpaper, is still alive, and will almost certainly outlive all dwarves in Whimcrafted.  Maybe some day, after wandering the depths for untold aeons, it will emerge changed by its experience, a new Forgotten Beast raging against the masters that abandoned it in its infancy.

I failed.  I mean, I guess if that undrinking recruit lasts long enough for spring migrants, Whimcrafted would continue by forbidding everything in the depths and sealing them off, but since I grabbed the save on a whim and flopped, I don't feel the need to upload.  I'll play to 1 granite and won't abandon, in case anyone wants my mess.

Fake Edit:

Sucker finally healed enough to move.  It didn;t kill Bembul though...

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »

Hey can you upload the latest save and let me try a Reclaim.

I might need walking through the getting the save to work part, but I think I can get it to work.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »

sure thing.  Wasn't sure anyone would want that since I just stepped in and tried my hand at the save, poorly.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7401

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2013, 11:28:33 pm »

Alright I have started the reclamation of whimcrafted uneder the managment of The Board of Fortresses.

I have named the new manager (7zubb2).

The other starting 7 are.
1 miner
2 woodminer
3 farmer
4 farmer
5 crafter
6 crafter
7 manager (crafter)

We arived around the 5th of granite.
Being mercenarys we forgot to keep the books so well and it may have been a week or more before I remeber'd I'd have to tell this story.
The first order of buisiness was to get the wepons and explore whimcrafted.
The crafters all had bronze spears and the other two used their job specific weapon with the labour off to keep it from glitching.
This took a long time as I just looked and scouted while paused for maby a half hour.
Eventualy I had to order the dorfs inside.
We explored most of the fort proper but stayed inside the walls of lower whimcraft.
Unfortunatly quite most of the graves were disturbed.
Notably zubb1 the secratary and some unnameds were all buryd in a mass crypt next to the main hall of lower whimcraft.
We were going back to the surface after failed atempts to wall passages off.(don't mass unforbid everything)

4 killed thol heartmine the deep abyss the forgotten beast d.254

A report from the fight.
Got that stupid beasty, but he got 2 my woodminer.
3 went crazy somewhere in there.
I was being overwellmed by the fort's bigness.
So I had the main entrance floored over.
5 and 6 happened to still be inside.
For the Board so sais zubb2 the manager.
We moved into that shrine that was built by the first oversear(OP).
Guess who lived with us for this time, Chaosgear.
His gohst.
His really cool grave lies empty.
Zub2 engraved a slab for him personaly, between tantrums.
Miner 1 dug down into the mountain under the shrine, thats where we got the chalk.
Hardly a stone at all.
A dwarven child gohst broke the rest of zubb2's hand while he was building the child's slab.
Zubb2 went berserk and was immediatly followed by 1 the miner.
Good thing most of the fort (now suplimented by a fresh migrant wave of maby 6) was still armed with their bronze spears.
They were both put down.
The crazy 3 farmer thirsted to death.
We are burying as fast as possible and engraving slabs.
Need more migrants and less gohsts.

It is now the 18th of malachite the mid summer.

I don't really understand dorf time.

K that was my first attempt at a reclaim or a succession fort.
Gonna continue until I get the fort stable and learn how to upload a save.

Sorry to all the dead guys who are floating around.
Although it is pretty funny to get scouting reports from gohsts down in the caverns about dead has been found drowned.

This has been a report from the fort  of Whimcrafted, now under the managment of The Board of Fortresses.

EDIT:How do you take and post screenshots?

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2013, 01:51:42 am »

Hold on, we're left in a quandary:  I started tinkering with the save already, before checking this thread.  I've already survived to the next immigrant wave, so the fortress could yet live from this save.

I don't want to savescum- like I say, I started before I checked the thread.  Should we split to alternate timelines?  I do want to polish up my reports and post them...

Oh, and how to take a screenshot: if you're playing in Fullscreen mode, the print screen (often labeled 'prt sc' or 'prt scrn') button copies an image of the screen to the clipboard.  If you're playing in Windowed mode, use alt+print screen to take a screenshot of only the active window.  You then need to alt+tab over to a graphics program (like MSpaint!) and paste the image into place, save it as a jpg or png (these are more internets friendly than bmp), and upload it to an image hosting site.  Some image hosting sites provide BBcode formatted links to your images, but here's a bbcode template if you need it:

Code: [Select]
[spoiler= Title of Spoiler]
1st granite- this is the text of my update, inside the spoiler.  Here is a screenshot:
[img]http://www.example.com/image.png[/img]
[/spoiler]

Note that the image url should be a direct link to the image- it should end with the filename of the image (it might be different from what you named it, but it should end with .jpg or .png).  The spoiler is optional, but encouraged.

EDIT:  That is an epic chick.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:54:38 am by Randy Gnoman »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9