Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Whimcrafted succession game  (Read 7166 times)

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
Re: Whimcrafted succession game
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2013, 03:46:57 pm »

This was first succession fort, as well.
My current (second) succession fort is also having a bit of an undead problem...
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2013, 08:15:18 pm »

First one as well, it was fun while it lasted right?  But yeah, Whimcrafted was dead but we tried to recreate it. 

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:01 pm »

I wasn't playing DF during Lent, but I felt bad about how everybody died when I took my turn.  The fort had a lot of promise and I'd hate to see it end there.  So I've gone back to the zip file and re-started my turn, whether anyone's interested or not!

Reviewing the situation at the beginning of the year:
We are under siege by the undead with multiple necromancers on-site.  It took me a while to figure this out last time, but the only reason we are alive is because there's a tree growing in our entryway.  The previous architects designed the entrance as two levels of ramps down to a winding labyrinth that leads right to an ordinary unlocked door.  Currently a tree is growing in the labyrinth.  I'll have to remember not to cut it!

These beautiful rooms in the upper fort are indefensible sieves.  Do you notice the twelve hatch covers in that round room?  Those are up/down stairways so there's actually 26 different exits an intruder can take from that room if he gets through.  This is no place to mount a defense.  The floor above this one is similar.  See the drawbridge on the left?  When lowered, it closes off the ramp down to the labyrinth and replaces it with a road to the trade depot.  This will be the beginning of our grand entrance (the passage at right goes all the way down to the caverns, in a premature anticipation of our conquest of them).  But it is also an indefensible sieve.  I like the man-made cave on the left, I'm calling it "the grotto".

Finally, my predecessor began the workings of a Lower Whimcrafted in the first cavern.  The problems here are three: (1) no safe way to get to/from the lower fort: the indicated ramps lead to a winding twisting route through the caverns up to the upper fort; (2) no way to close the door to visitors; (3) too many damn dimple cups in the food stockpile [edit: the actual problem was that barrels/pots were forbidden from the food stockpile].  My first run-through, all of our meat spoiled because there wasn't any space in the stockpile.

My plans:
1. organize the military
2. re-architect the upper fort to be a cylinder of blood with no exits. nice round rooms for our military to kill invaders in.
3. built a safe, vertical connection between the lower and upper forts.
4. tame a little bit of the cavern at a time, rather than assuming we'll have an idyllic coexistence with all the creatures of the dark
5. use the grotto and the cavern as substitutes for "outdoors" until we can figure out how to deal with necromancers!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:04:28 am by joeclark77 »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2013, 12:15:57 am »

8th felsite:

As before, I created a 4-man axe squad under Zubb and a 10-man crossbow squad under Chaosgear.  Unlike before, lower Whimcrafted can be closed off with a single drawbridge.  However... upper Whimcrafted is still open to the caverns.  I better take care of that FAST as the military has no armor and only weak weapons.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:59 am »

13th felsite: I got a quick wall put up, so we are able to seal the door to the FB if it gets close.  Today a small kobold ambush (4 spears and a bowman squad leader) appeared on the surface.  Let's see if they become part of the necromancers' army or drive it away.

[...]

17th felsite:  Another squad of kobold spearmen arrived as well.  They battled the undead and appeared to be winning.  As the necromancers fled, the kobolds ran after them, off the map.  So now there are four animated corpses left on the surface and a lot of bodies to bury.  With the necromancers and kobolds gone, I'm going to risk a sortie.

[...]

All clear!  The last few zombies left before we could fight them, so I sent our troops out after the local wildlife (chinchillas).  They did superbly, although I'm worried about the quantity of bolts the archers fired.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2013, 01:00:44 am »

12th Hematite:  Smuntstu, being a forgotten beast, will path to buildings he can destroy if he can't path anywhere more interesting.  I'm sorry to inform my predecessor that the beast has made its way into his carefully prepared tomb.  On the bright side... it's empty! (Also note: the reservoir didn't overflow this time.)

21st Hematite:  11 new migrants have joined us!  All the males have been drafted except one who is a highly skilled carpenter.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:50:04 pm by joeclark77 »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2013, 01:44:39 am »

16th Galena:  While hunting hoary marmots, our militia commander flushed out an ambush of goblin hammermen.  Nice knowing you, Zubb... you died (again).  This is why we shouldn't fight battles naked.  Miners are looking for that malachite vein again, don't remember exactly where I found it before.

A human caravan arrived about the same time and they made short work of the goblins.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2013, 02:04:57 am »

11th Limestone:  The FB hasn't destroyed Chaosgear's tomb yet, it's just hanging out there.  So I walled off the tomb and reservoir.  It could still exit through the river entrance, theoretically, but it's not in any hurry.  Meanwhile, I built a FB trap near lower whimcrafted should we need to recapture Smuntstu or another like him.  Basically just three armor stands in a little room with drawbridges to seal the beast inside, should he try to destroy the furniture.  Won't kill him... we don't have any spears for spear traps!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2013, 02:17:53 am »

A miner was possessed and created a gabbro bed called Tithlethum, "The Rumored Nails".  Apparently "rumored" not to be very comfortable.  I'm putting it in the mayor's bedroom.  We have a mayor now.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2013, 03:19:56 am »

Somebody must be a good crafter, because we were able to buy out almost every metal item in the dwarf caravan this fall based on stone crafts (and a few pots of prepared meals).  Things are going very well now at Whimcrafted.  If that FB escapes, or another one emerges, it could all change very fast though!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2013, 09:05:55 am »

20th Timber:  The dwarf caravan is still here and just in time for another kobold attack.  Two squads of spearkobolds totalling about 12 units.  A dwarven child, Sarvesh Leromezum, was killed.

Just as the caravan and our axedwarves converged on the kobolds, an announcement!

I'm worried about those poisonous vapors, so I'm calling everyone inside the safe areas and will try to trap the beast.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:42:14 pm by joeclark77 »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »

The caravan guards dealt with the kobolds in short order.  We need to expand our underground refuse stockpile a bit now, lest there be lots of bodies strewn about when the necromancers return.

12th Moonstone:

This one looks a bit tougher than the mud beast we spotted last month.  So just to review, we now have two FBs roaming the caverns and one relaxing in Chaosgear's tomb.  I'm going to install that artifact bed in the small trap I built previously, and maybe catch one or even two in it.  I'm digging a new shaft to Chaosgear's tomb and I'll install a fortification there so an archer can kill Smuntstu.  Hopefully Chaosgear himself will do it.

Everything is sealed such that you need not activate the civilian alert.  Civilians just can't get into the open caverns.  The only way an FB could get out is to go through the plumbing, knock out the floodgate, and exit to the river.  The river is frozen now so I'm going to try and wall off that chink in our armor.  On the other hand, we are not well-protected from surface threats... they still come right into that big room with all the exits.  We've been fortunate to have ambushes arrive at the same time caravan guards were stationed there.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2013, 03:54:57 pm »

The legendary miner "Rocknlol" gave his life today in glorious victory over two forgotten beasts.  An opportunity came up that was just too good to miss:

Observe two forgotten beasts admiring an artifact bed.  Unfortunately they were standing on one drawbridge (there are two drawbridges to make sure the trap closes in both directions) so I couldn't simply pull the lever and lock them in.

Observe a block of solid stone hanging by only a single floor tile...

Rocknlol decided to take a brief nap before channeling the last tile.  This happened while he was snoozing:

Bombs away!

Problem solved.

The body of the quadruped has been found, but the scorpion is totally destroyed.  No matter... neither beast was edible.

Sadly, Rocknlol was also caught in the blast of dust, despite being several floors above.

Our engravers haven't carved the fortification yet so we haven't begun shooting the remaining FB (in Chaosgear's tomb).

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2013, 04:09:42 pm »

19th Obisidian:

There are maybe 16 goblin spearmen with one war Jabberer so far.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2013, 04:14:06 pm »

Likot Seretur, marksdwarf under the command of Chaosgear, killed the Forgotten Beast, Smunstu.  I wanted Chaosgear to kill it himself, but sadly he didn't have a quiver.  So he "led from the rear" as his squad killed the beast.  A memorial slab for the FB will be placed in Chaosgear's tomb to mark the spot.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9