Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Ballad of the Stars (IC) - Chapter 1: Derelict Frigates and Mining Colonies  (Read 7422 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Ballad of the Stars (IC) - Chapter 1: We've got options.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »

(I'm about to leave for work and wont be back until after 7:00 PM PST. If the DM gives good information based on my action assume I delegate the task of planning the actual salvage to Aster Red (Who knows what to look for on a salvage mission) and Jerrod Hu (Who likely knows what to do in case something goes wrong).

If we can't find anything out from the sensors, Akito will inform Leera that we will come up with the actual plan while we are waiting half a day to see if the pirates come.)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »

"That is a fair concern my child." Akito scratches his reaches for the controls. "Lets see what the sensors can tell us..."

Captian Naples attempts to look up as much as he can about the dead vessel.

Akito activates the sensors, running a quick sweep of the nearby frigate. The results are fairly simple, though an Engineer might be able to make more sense of them.
Reading through the scroll of numbers and symbols, Akito is still able to make a fairly educated guess, however.

Spoiler: The Frigate (click to show/hide)

The ship is a bit larger than your own. With a conical hull and a large wingspan, the docking zone is likely attached to the top of the bridge, which itself sits atop and central to the craft. The cargo bay likely sits within the belly of the beast, surrounded by supply rooms and living quarters. There may be a medbay, but it's more likely that medical procedures took place in the living quarters more often than not.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 04:30:13 pm »

Aster yawns widely, not bothering to cover her mouth as she leisurely wanders the bridge. Her left hand absentmindedly plays with a white marble, tossing and catching and rolling it over her knuckles dexterously. She makes her way towards a nearby display console, muttering a gruff, absentminded greeting towards the resident captain and medic even as she rudely cuts in front of them to peer curiously at the console.

"A derelict, eh?" The engineer muses to herself as she taps a few buttons with her right hand, looking over the data brought up by the sensors. Her left hand slips the white marble into a pocket in her jacket as she skims through, blowing a strand of short red hair out of her eyes. "Alright, let's see what we've got here..."

Take a look at the data Akito gathered and see if I can glean some more out of it. Furthermore, try to discern what sort of damage the ship has sustained, and guess at what exactly caused that damage.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 06:14:17 pm »

Trevor gets ready for visiting the mining colony, making sure all his gear is in good condition and etc.

((My next post will have moar rp, just not feeling it now))
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 06:27:00 pm »

Greg waked up once more "Tell me when you want to go, ok?"
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 07:35:41 pm »

Aster yawns widely, not bothering to cover her mouth as she leisurely wanders the bridge. Her left hand absentmindedly plays with a white marble, tossing and catching and rolling it over her knuckles dexterously. She makes her way towards a nearby display console, muttering a gruff, absentminded greeting towards the resident captain and medic even as she rudely cuts in front of them to peer curiously at the console.

"A derelict, eh?" The engineer muses to herself as she taps a few buttons with her right hand, looking over the data brought up by the sensors. Her left hand slips the white marble into a pocket in her jacket as she skims through, blowing a strand of short red hair out of her eyes. "Alright, let's see what we've got here..."

Take a look at the data Akito gathered and see if I can glean some more out of it. Furthermore, try to discern what sort of damage the ship has sustained, and guess at what exactly caused that damage.

Tapping away with an absent-minded leisure, Aster activates a lesser known recalibration mechanism unique to Quonam VacLas Sensors. Within moments, the frigate has been rescanned.

Spoiler: The Frigate (click to show/hide)

In addition, there are life signatures aboard the ship. You don't yet have any way to know what that means.
Based on the damage that your sensors are picking up, it would appear that the majority of the frigate's injuries come from the local asteroid fields. Aster has seen that sort of damage before- It's fairly easy to recognize.
However, that some of the components have taken damage indicates a more powerful striking force than simple asteroids. Either they decided to spend a month just letting themselves get battered- something which would have required they follow the shower around- or there was another damaging factor at play. Because the hull and frame don't seem to have any visible external damage that weren't caused by asteroids, it's likely whatever damage dealt was internal.

Aster will need to be able to examine the components in person before she has any idea what they're truly capable of.

The ground crew prepares to head down to the mining colony, and as Aster, Leera, and Akito pour over the sensor data regarding the derelict frigate, Greg and Homura direct the Black Sea to the surface. Luckily, there are no payments necessary for pick-ups and drop-offs in this port, only for semi-permanent and permanent landings.

Erick, Trevor, and Joe are left in Central Volk IV, the main hub of the Volk IV mining colony. It's a rustic place- Most of the buildings are constructed of thin sheets of rusted, oxidized iron, and the ground is composed of a dusty, reddish brown rock type. You'd guess that about a quarter of the population is either composed of miners, guards, or other mine personnel in direct service to the local magistrate or the daimyo which he serves. Their family's, however, form the basis of the town's structure, running the stores, restaurants, and other non-mining services.

There is plenty to be found here, and as you'll be stranded here for about three days- at least- given the Captain's plans to salvage from a derelict freight, you've got time to take the maglev system to sections of the colony which are farther afield, as well.

Spoiler: The Ship and Her Crew (click to show/hide)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 07:52:11 pm »

"I suggest we start by looking at available ship parts, we could use better sensors."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 11:55:37 pm »

Idly scuffing up some rust-colored soil with a boot, Trevor glances to Joe. A slight frown appears, before he shrugs, reaching down to adjust the Katana strapped to his belt.

"Ya'll can do tha', but seems sort o' stupid ta' feck with parts and shit when we don't have nah' mechanic. 'least ta' me it does. How 'bout we go buy some -REAL- grub, maybe eat some, look for a job or two fa' some cred'..."

He spits on the ground, then glances towards the settlement, if it could be called that. With another shrug he steps off towards it.

Head towards any markets.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:59:37 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 12:01:48 am »

Do we have communicators of some sort?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 12:04:23 am »

Do we have communicators of some sort?
Unfortunately, only one member of the crew, the Captain, has bothered to acquire a personal communicator thus far.
Luckily, the people you landed with are still standing right next to you.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 12:10:35 am »

"Oy! Get some communicators for yourselves!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 12:28:10 am »

"Life signs aboard the scrap heap... huh." Curious. Akito comments as he looks at his engineer's new and improved scans. "Aster, go find the guards. I will trust you to figure out what we need to grab, and them to figure out how to safely grab it."

The captain leans back in his chair and considers the situation. A ship that was torn apart from the inside and left to float with life still aboard. In all likelyhood it is just a case of space piracy gone wrong, but the circumstances of the derelict don't rule out the supernatural, and any chance to discover something new or strange is a chance Akito dosn't intend to pass up.

Once the guards and engineer come up with a plan of action, Akito gives to order to move into docking range of the derelict and waits up to 12 hours without docking to see if any pirate traps make themselves apparent. While he waits he will also spend a fire point to try and call up a local spirit to see what he can learn about the target ship.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 12:41:51 am »

As the ship lands and the ground team disembarks, Homura calls after them through the external speaker by the landing ramp; "Good luck and have fun, boyos! We'll come pick you up in a couple days, so take care of yourselves!

...An' bring me back a souvenir!"

Chuckling as she unplugged the last of the interface wires from her head, she reclines further back in her seat, digging through the pockets of her over-sized sweater for a small piece of paper and some dried herbs.

"So, off to beat up dudes and loot that ship, yeah? Just say the word, Cap'n, an' I'll get us there in a jiffy!" She pauses for a moment, to lick closed the smoke stick, "...Or, y'know, rescue them, if they're, like, survivors or somethin'.

An' assumin' that dozy fuck doesn't drop off again before we get goin'."
she mutters, giving a slight jerk of her head towards her co-pilot's seat as she lights up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:06:06 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 01:03:41 am »

"Looks like the ship was hit by a shitton of asteroids, though that kind of damage isn't exactly easy to come by accidentally. With those engines and a half-decent pair a'pilots, 'isn't exactly easy' becomes 'you must've been on fumes'." Aster remarks as she straightens, tucking an errant strand of rust-red hair behind an ear as she continues,

"With hulls in that condition, I'll be damned if the life support is still online." She pauses to let that sink in, then adds as she turns to leave the bridge and gather the two guards, wherever they may be, "Make sure we have back-up."

Get the two guards, grab supplies, get into envirosuits, etc.

[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 01:14:51 am »

(Don't bother with the enviro suits. We still have to fly over and wait a few hours to see if its a trap.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8