Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Ballad of the Stars (IC) - Chapter 1: Derelict Frigates and Mining Colonies  (Read 7419 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Ballad of the Stars (IC) - Chapter 1: We've got options.
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 01:34:30 am »

Jerrod looks up when the engineer enters the room. "Hello, Aster. Is the captain in need of my assistance?"
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 06:19:57 am »

Greg looks at his co-pilot "Lazy I may be, but I don't do anything half-assed." He put his hands on the controls "Shall we move, captain."
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 10:42:57 am »

(Sorry i havent been as active as i could be, came down with the flu....)

"I have plenty of misgivings about boarding a derelict which contains unknown lifesigns, espcially a derelict that may have lost pressure and life support"

Kara looked towards her conrade in arms, Jarrod, before continuing.

"It reminds me too much of the botched recovery of the Battlecruiser 'Diomedes' during my time in the navy....." She shudders as she remembers the zero-g, vacuum-dwelling aliens that attacked her team.

Kara decides to quickly changing the subject:
"Are we looking for anything important? like equipment that could help give this old hulk some half-decent engines?"
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:45:27 am by kahn1234 »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 01:23:38 pm »

Akito nods to his pilots. "Yeah. Let us be off. Take us in real close, and hold her steady. If there is an ambush waiting, I want them to think we have docked so that they play their hand early. I guess the guards can come up with their plan while we wait to see if the coast is clear."

Akito gives the move order, and then watches the sensors for incoming hostiles while the Engineer and Guards come up with a plan of action for the raid.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »

Mm. These schematics will do. I could set up a triage zone here. May I come along when this ship is thoroughly inspected for anything untoward. I would like to look over the medbay and I don't think having a grunt doing my shopping would work out to well. I will hang back in the triage zone, if that is quite alright.

Ready for boarding. And head back to room. Once near docked attempt to communicate with spirits aboard the vessel.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:19:06 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »

Erick follows Trevor as he's not really keen on getting lost and being alone for a few days.

"It might be best for us to get communicators for the whole crew, just in case the captain sends out a larger ground team in the future. Also, I'm pretty sure none of us actually know what ship parts would be better for our ship, so it's be pretty useless for us to try to find ship parts.

Look for work, food, and communicators in the town.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 05:08:01 pm »

"Well, our first priority will be to locate and identify the lifesigns aboard the ship, to find out if they're civilian or pirate, and see if they need our help in any way. Fara and I will have to look over the schematics to set up a plan of attack and identify some fallback positions and escape routes in case things go wrong."

Jerrod takes a copy of the schematics so that he may confer with Fara on their plan of attack, tactical positions within the ship, and possible escape routes just in case.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 11:01:18 pm »

"Righto, Cap'n!" Saluting leisurely and blowing a stream of acrid smoke, Homura leans forward to flick switches, activate consoles, and plug wires into her skull, before stubbing out her joint and reclining again, her body going slack as her conscious control switched from her body to that of the ship, and her voice crackled out from the speakers in the command console.

"Warmin' up VTOL an' Realspace engines. Ass in gear, Dopey, we're on the clock!"
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:04:05 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 11:15:17 pm »

Unanimously deciding a need for communicators, food, and other supplies, the ground crew heads first in search of the local markets. Perhaps there will be jobs there, as well. As the most experienced in commerce, Erick leads the way.

It doesn't take long for him to find several providers of food and other sundry. Though Volk IV is primarily a mining colony, it seems that several crafts stop here to resupply on other, non-mining related routes as well. Though the local suppliers mostly deal in Protein Rations, as there isn't much in the way of flora or fauna on this planet, some basic cooking supplies can be found here as well. If Trevor can cook nutritious meals with them, you may be able to get a bit more mileage out of your credits, with such supplies.

Spoiler: The General Store (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, while the parts needed to repair communicators are readily available (at a varying price dependent on what parts you need), communicators themselves are not being sold. You could purchase a handheld radio for 100 Credits, but with the advent of Warpdrives, the radio horizon is at about 75' for such devices.
Still, you do see a number of the local guards utilizing personal communicators. Perhaps whoever is in charge of the local barracks might be convinced to cut you a deal...

There is, of course, also a local junkyard where varying parts might be found, in various states of repair and disrepair. It's not the grandest, but none of you bother to check it out, anyways.

Jerrod downloads a copy of the frigate's known schematics to his personal computer. It's a fairly simplistic layout, of a design common to Magpie class vessels. 11 A class of ship which, Greg would recall - if he were examining such things- went out of commission around the same time the manufacturer Exponire went out of business several years ago.

It features a hangar on the topside, with direct access to the Bridge following a decompression chamber. The bridge itself access the central cargobay through what are likely a pair of stairwells. From the cargo bay, one can access the living quarters and other rooms, often customized based on the needs of the crew, through a pair of doors which each lead to a U shaped hallway.
Aster can probably tell you where the various pieces of equipment are most likely to be located, once she decides what she wants to try to salvage.

34+33=69

It takes approximately 1.5 days for the Black Sea to reach the frigate, and despite a local asteroid belt- too small to have been detected by the ship's sensors- the pilots manage to direct her there without any difficulty. Pulling up alongside the Frigate's topside hangar, and prepares to dock...and then does not.

The crew waits.

As the crew waits, both the Captain and Medic retreat to their private quarters, and begin to work spells. While Akito expends a fire ring to cast Commune, Leera expends an Earth Ring to do the same.
Perhaps unbeknownst to one another, they both unfurl the scrolls and begin to chant their respective prayers at the same time...
Oddly, neither bother to check and see if there are any spirits to be found here.

The air heats up in Akito's quarters, and though he cannot see it, he knows that a spirit has answered his calls. As sweat rolls down his cheeks, a presence invades his mind...
A serene calm fills Leera's quarters, the gravity of the ship seeming to heighten. As she finishes her calls for communion, a presence finds her mind...

"Why, MORTAL, have YOU called upon ME!?" queries the raging flames, "And what REASON have I to give ANSWER?! What GIFTS do YOU bring?!"
"You have questions," the earth states, "Ask them now."

Spoiler: The Ship and Her Crew (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:17:09 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 11:21:21 pm »

Let's buy enough repair parts, then let our good friend Aster use them to build communicators.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 12:30:14 am »

Let's buy enough repair parts, then let our good friend Aster use them to build communicators.
With your knowledge of mechanics, you know that it would require someone with the Craft: Mechanics skill to make such an item. Aster most likely has this skill.
With that same knowledge, of course, you'd likely be able to pick out the spare parts needed to build a communicator. Will the cost come out to more than a communicator is worth? Will there be unforeseen issues with using communicators made of cobbled-together bits and pieces? You don't really have any way to know for sure.

Regardless, all told, you'll need the following parts for one communicator:
  • Antenna
  • Circuitboard
  • Speaker
  • LED Display Unit
  • Microphone
  • Battery

The same shop which sells the radios, sells these parts-

Spoiler: The Electronics Shop (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:03:44 am by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: Ballad of the Stars (IC) - Chapter 1: Derelict Frigates and Mining Colonies
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 01:00:30 am »

"Genetically engineered." Trevor's tone was bland, almost dark, his mix of accents slipping into a cultured, civilized one to spit out those two words with as much venom as possible. As he stared at the package of cooking supplies in his hand he suppressed the urge to shove this junk down the throat of the shopkeep, instead sighing slightly over-dramatically and re-checking the price.

"Ring this an' this an' this up fa' me." he growled, setting a flashlight, a package of cooking supplies and a bottle of sake on the counter-top. "Is there any-where I can fin' some real food or, barrin' tha', a job?"

Ask about jobs. And REAL FOOD.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:15:47 am by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 01:32:55 am »

(Sorry i havent been as active as i could be, came down with the flu....)

"I have plenty of misgivings about boarding a derelict which contains unknown lifesigns, espcially a derelict that may have lost pressure and life support"

Kara looked towards her conrade in arms, Jarrod, before continuing.

"It reminds me too much of the botched recovery of the Battlecruiser 'Diomedes' during my time in the navy....." She shudders as she remembers the zero-g, vacuum-dwelling aliens that attacked her team.

Kara decides to quickly changing the subject:
"Are we looking for anything important? like equipment that could help give this old hulk some half-decent engines?"
"Well, our first priority will be to locate and identify the lifesigns aboard the ship, to find out if they're civilian or pirate, and see if they need our help in any way. Fara and I will have to look over the schematics to set up a plan of attack and identify some fallback positions and escape routes in case things go wrong."

Jerrod takes a copy of the schematics so that he may confer with Fara on their plan of attack, tactical positions within the ship, and possible escape routes just in case.

The engineer scratches the back of her head, shrugging at Kara with a cryptic expression on her face as she moves to heft a large halberd, the haft nearly twice her tiny frame, over her shoulder with disquieting ease, "Your guess s'good as mine, buddy. The scans indicate that the derelict's got a bunch a'parts tagged Exponire, which have a reputation for bein' mediocre but cheap. Warpdrive's Sonuius-made, though, and they're usually pretty reliable as far as drives go. Every company has its goods and its bads, though; won't be able to tell for certain until I can actually get my hands on those suckers. Unless y'have a database a'every hunk a'space junk that's ever been manufactured somewhere around here that you haven't seen fit to tell me about before, slater?"

She pauses and turns toward Jerrod, the blade of her halberd missing by centimeters nearly anyone and everyone in her vicinity as she comments seriously, "If there's any living thing of known space still alive in there, drop 'em by the Imperial labs for the whitecoats to poke and prod at, 'cause someone just discovered the secret of immortality. Or at least the secret of surviving in a zero-oxygen, zero-pressure, and absolute-zero environment. Those hulls couldn't possibly be running life support in that condition."
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 02:20:56 am »

Akito sighs. It would be nice to see a fire spirit without a stuck up temperament once in awhile. Shaking his head and smiling slightly he produces a small yet appropriate offering to the spirit from his pouch of powders, salts, and other ritual supplies. Holding his offering in his outstretched palm, he speaks. "There is a dead ship with potential life on it near here. I would like to explore and salvage it if it is safe to do so. I have exhausted my mortal means to investigate it and figured the honorable local spirits might have an understanding of the situation they would be willing to share."

The captain abruptly switches to the firm and business like tone that he prefers to use when dealing with indignant spirits. "If you have information for me, please share or at least name your price. Otherwise I see no point in us wasting each other's time any further."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:25:01 am by Weirdsound »

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 07:48:36 am »

"This is no contract, I have questions. What are the life signs on the derelict vessel? Hostile? Criminals? Animals? Where should we look on the vessel for things of value, be they hidden away? A gift will be given if valuable riches found, hungry spirit."

Ask about the vessels habitants, and the valuables contained inside such a vessel.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:33:02 am by Gotdamnmiracle »
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8