Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819911 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party
« Reply #9570 on: November 23, 2014, 01:08:23 am »

You're overly optimistic. They'll just blame Obama. I mean, people blame him for things that happened before he got into office, why do you think they'll stop when he leaves?

Edit: There's a meme in that...

Like how people in 2008-2012 blamed everything on Bush?
Yep.  It's the time-honored tradition of politics, which can be somewhat summarized in this flowchart:

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: November 24, 2014, 09:29:03 am »

All of a sudden Defense Secretary Hagel is stepping down, I don't really know the reason though.

Unless it's the usual midterm transition? CNN is certainly treating it as if it was unexpected.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:34:27 am by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: November 24, 2014, 09:44:56 am »

There is a slight difference there in that Bush left office with two unfinished wars and just after the largest financial crisis of 100 years.  (The 2007 subprime crisis was actually bigger than the black Tuesday that lead to the Great Depression, we'd just learned from our mistakes).
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: November 24, 2014, 10:08:27 am »

There is a slight difference there in that Bush left office with two unfinished wars and just after the largest financial crisis of 100 years.  (The 2007 subprime crisis was actually bigger than the black Tuesday that lead to the Great Depression, we'd just learned from our mistakes).

The financial crisis was not his fault, really.  It was the banks giving out loans that people couldn't pay back.

Iraq was based off of information that was thought to be true, and considering the climate of the area, an invasion made sense.

Afghanistan was immediately in the wake of 9/11.  Really think anyone was in their best mindset for that one?

Should note that the US was in there so long as there is a precinct that was made after one of the early wars (I can't remember precisely which one.  I think it was Mexican-American.  Interesting fact, if the attack on the 'capital' of Canada during the revolutionary war succeeded, and the treaty to the Mexican-American war had been delayed by a week, it is possible that the United States would have both of those countries as a part of it.) that after the war, we stick around to fix everything we messed up.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: November 24, 2014, 10:18:22 am »

Iraq was based off of information that was thought to be true, and considering the climate of the area, an invasion made sense.

Afghanistan was immediately in the wake of 9/11.  Really think anyone was in their best mindset for that one?

Afghanistan is still a useless war, as the attackers were from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, not the Taliban. Iraq was a useless war. Iraq war was sold to the public by an administration that knew it's information was false and/or misleading at the time when presented to the public. The war and hostilities was entirely ginned up.

[Because his daddy already had a vendetta for Iraqi oil and his VP/dark lord of bureaucracy was an Oil man]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:36:59 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: November 24, 2014, 10:26:16 am »

Afghanistan is still a useless war, as the attackers were from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, not the Taliban. Iraq was a useless war. Iraq war was sold to the public by an administration that knew it's information was false and/or misleading at the time when presented to the public. The war and hostilities was entirely ginned up.

[Because his daddy already had a vendetta for Iraqi oil]

Wasn't the war in Afganistan part of the general war on terror? Not to mention the fact that it was a safe harbor for terrorists.

I do agree with the fact that the Iraq war part was useless (despite the overthrowing a dictator justification) because it was on false information. Hell, the informant wasn't a credible one and it came via torture at the hands of the Egyptians.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: November 24, 2014, 10:32:21 am »

Afghanistan is still a useless war, as the attackers were from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, not the Taliban.

Let me see.

Pakistan - Nukes, general anger towards India, tense relations already.
Saudi Arabia - Muslim holy cities.  'nuff said.

Yeah, Afghanistan may not have been where they were from, but it was probably the only 'safe' option.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: November 24, 2014, 10:33:34 am »

pakistan and murikka were pretty bro-shaped until murikka started drone striking the fuck out of everyone without two fucks given actually

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: November 24, 2014, 10:35:29 am »

..... And this justifies creating a new front against the Taliban in the USSR's graveyard because?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: November 24, 2014, 10:36:18 am »

Afghanistan is still a useless war, as the attackers were from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, not the Taliban.

Let me see.

Yeah, Afghanistan may not have been where they were from, but it was probably the only 'safe' option.

So, basically, you just needed to invade a country and Afghanistan was the only one available?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: November 24, 2014, 10:37:11 am »

Other NATO members said the "intelligence" was BS and major US newspapers were running rebuttals.  It's not the case that nobody could have known because most people did know.  The Bush administration only got by on the benefit of the doubt because people assumed that the classified stuff must have been ironclad but it turns out the classified stuff was hot air.

Pakistan and Saudi Arabia might have been neglectful but that's not a whole lot to go on.  The Afgan government organized the attack...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: November 24, 2014, 10:38:26 am »

There was no such thing as an afghan government at that time. It was the forces friendly to Osama's cohorts. Most of them from.. Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, because the USSR had destabilized Afghanistan and made it into a hub for terror.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: November 24, 2014, 10:38:49 am »

..... And this justifies creating a new front against the Taliban in the USSR's graveyard because?

... Bin Ladin was hiding there? Or WAS anyway, we eventually found out that he was actually hiding in Pakistan, our so called 'ally'.

It's also the British Empires graveyard, they fought like five wars in there I think.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: November 24, 2014, 10:39:39 am »

... Bin Ladin was hiding there? Or WAS anyway, we eventually found out that he was actually hiding in Pakistan, our so called 'ally'.

It's also the British Empires graveyard, they fought like five wars in there I think.

No. He wasn't. He was in Pakistan at all points after the Taliban/USSR conflict. And the claims that he was on the field in Afghanistan during that time is also questionable.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: November 24, 2014, 10:40:12 am »

Wasn't he in Tora Bora?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 667