Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819918 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party
« Reply #9555 on: November 21, 2014, 06:28:24 am »

You know, the way many here imagine the life of the super-rich reminds me of medieval dragon legends...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: November 21, 2014, 06:32:28 am »

The "eating poor peasants" part, or the "sitting of a pile of gold" part?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: November 21, 2014, 01:32:26 pm »

Little of column A, little of column B.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: November 21, 2014, 02:02:30 pm »

If you want a good idea of what the super-rich are like, imagine how the people in your high school graduating class would behave and live if they had hundreds of millions of dollars. Money doesn't make people different, it just makes the good and bad points of their character much more noticeable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: November 21, 2014, 07:25:05 pm »

Except the good points don't tend to be conducive to expanding or maintaining significant wealth.  So the exercise is likely more accurate if you lend more weight to the bad points.

I'd like to offer a re-framing on this debate.

I don't think it's necessarily that people want more.  I think most people just want better.  They want consistent positive change and in some areas variety.  I don't see how this means that they want more stuff. 

I don't want many things.  I want a nice, up-to-date computer with good quality internet access, steady access to healthy/not-unpleasant food and comfortable shelter, access to medical care, and the ability to travel or attend a cultural event once in a while.  I don't think that's much.  When I have all those things, the only want left is time.  And I know this, because I do mostly have those things (I'd give halfway on the last two).

Now, there is of course a lot that this entails.  I have to buy new computer-related stuff with regularity.  I have to buy a new vehicle once in a while, and coincidentally it will likely be a better one when I do.  Some would interpret wanting a better computer every 3 or 4 years as wanting more.  But in terms of economic expansion or rate of resource-consumption, I don't see it that way.  I only interpret it as wanting change.  Positive change, if possible.  You could interpret my consumption of media as wanting more, but as long as it's digital, that doesn't really expand the economy or consumption of resources.

I don't understand how what your average person wants or needs necessitates infinite growth.  It does necessitate advancement, but the typical context when I hear talk about growth entails expansion, which is not the same thing.  And yes, I understand that I'm not your average person, but I don't think I'm too far from analogous to your average person.  I don't think many people really care about having a gigantic garage where they can park a new designer vehicle every year.  They just want enough to have reliable transportation, and an interest in upgrading once in a while.  And I think it's the same with most things.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: November 21, 2014, 07:49:16 pm »

... of course those don't necessitate infinite growth. It's not a necessary thing in the vast majority of situations. It's not a minimum-needs thing, it's a +1. Desirable, but incredibly rarely needed to actually accomplish whatever goals you might have.

As for it not meaning they want more stuff... maybe not necessarily, but if it's hard to figure out that positive change and variety (even if in limited areas) don't entail more stuff, I'm not really sure how to better frame the discussion to elucidate. Change is generally going to mean new stuff, even if not necessarily a net increase in total stuff owned, and variety is almost certainly going to mean either new stuff or more stuff. Either way, even if you're not looking at a total increase in personally owned stuff, you're definitely looking at a total increase in societal-level stuff. If your population is growing or stuff-supply deteriorating, that means more stuff. And digital media definitely takes up more resources than you're giving it credit, methinks. It's cheaper than physical media, usually, but it's still by no means inexpensive or an example of resource paucity, from what I understand.

... that said, at least from what I've seen on the ground you're definitely rather extremely anomalous, SG. Most people I've met actually kinda' do want that massive garage with cars for every occasion, and various equivalent things. The extent they "don't care" is actually equivalent to the extent they can't figure out how to get it, not a lack of desire. It's incredibly easy to get locked into that cycle of "More stuff == more better" when you have the resources to do so -- more cars, more clothes, more houses, more whatever.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: November 22, 2014, 05:57:01 am »

Yeah. Also, SG, when we said "growth is better", we means "all other things being equal, more wealth is better". Of course, al other things are never equal. For starters, more wealth means more pressure on the environment. Also, a lot of time, policies to achieve higher growth at policies that come at the expense of workers (Although they might get it back later, in the short term there is a trade-off between growth and well-being).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: November 22, 2014, 09:16:07 pm »

Someday I just need to accept that I'm living on the wrong damn planet, but I haven't figured out yet what exactly that will entail.  Probably nothing good.  Every time a topic like this comes up, I get "SG, you don't understand just how strange you are."

Anyway...

House Republicans just passed a bill forbidding scientists from advising the EPA on their own research
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: November 22, 2014, 09:27:00 pm »

Somalia?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: November 22, 2014, 09:28:46 pm »

I...

*sigh*

I'd move back to Canada, but I hate it as much there as I do here, and will hate it wherever else I go. Where's the one country that just doesn't have politics?

Pacific micro-nations?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: November 22, 2014, 09:31:35 pm »

Ah, 2014-2016, also known as "The Years in Which the President Vetoed Everything". How fun.

Well, assuming it gets through the senate, anyway. It's going to be a very repetitive next couple of years.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: November 22, 2014, 10:21:57 pm »

At this point, I'm really sort of hoping the GOP keeps Congress in 2016, and takes the White House. The only way for America to learn why it doesn't want the Tea Party running things is to live it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9567 on: November 22, 2014, 10:26:14 pm »

You're overly optimistic. They'll just blame Obama. I mean, people blame him for things that happened before he got into office, why do you think they'll stop when he leaves?

Edit: There's a meme in that...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:30:04 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: November 22, 2014, 11:17:38 pm »

You're overly optimistic. They'll just blame Obama. I mean, people blame him for things that happened before he got into office, why do you think they'll stop when he leaves?

Thanks Obama...
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: November 23, 2014, 01:06:42 am »

Like how people in 2008-2012 blamed everything on Bush?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 667