Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825140 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8475 on: August 27, 2014, 04:58:23 pm »

Another threat of government shutdown could be on the horizon.
Ordinarily, I'd refuse to believe anybody could actually be that stupid. But these are the House Republicans, so here we are, I guess.

Not...stupid, exactly. Just responding to bad incentives (the threat of being primaried in very conservative districts).

(At least, that's what I like to believe...)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: August 27, 2014, 04:58:57 pm »

which makes it actually a quite reasonable weapon type to consider for a "protecting against an unjust military" conception of the 2nd amendment.
There is no way that the weaponry available to the general population is going to be able to hold off the government. It's an outdated concept that has no practical application, only catering to that big old gun fetish.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: August 27, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »

which makes it actually a quite reasonable weapon type to consider for a "protecting against an unjust military" conception of the 2nd amendment.
There is no way that the weaponry available to the general population is going to be able to hold off the government. It's an outdated concept that has no practical application, only catering to that big old gun fetish.

Not entirely. Sure, they might not be able to take out a tyrannical government entirely.

But tyranny isn't really about who's at the top, it's about who's at the bottom. You can't run a totalitarian regime if your bureaucrats and secret policemen are being shot up all the time.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: August 27, 2014, 05:08:14 pm »

Very little (if any) legislative change is needed. Like all fully-automatic weapons, Uzi's are already illegal under Federal law (barring an extremely small number of pre-1983 examples) without special (and extremely expensive) permit, and reckless endangerment is already a serious crime. All that really needs to be done is to revoke the establishment's full-auto permit  (not certain if the law allows confiscation of the weapons under permit, as bill of attainder would apply unless special provision was made in the permit law), but it would absolutely prohibit them from allowing any non-permit holder to fire them, and arrest the management staff for reckless endangerment homicide.
Oh. Fair enough - I had, apparently naively, assumed their business was legal. I'll withhold judgment until the law's actually had an opportunity to be enforced, and just expect a surge of people to come to their defense because it's a gun issue, and there is a big chunk of society for whom that means "we need to protect our rights".

It is probably legal, as they probably have the necessary permits. My point is that all that is needed to shut them down is to revoke said permits, and the mere fact that they put a notoriously uncontrollable SMG in the hands of an extremely small girl means that an indictment on reckless endangerment charges is about as open-and-shut as it's possible to be.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:13:51 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: August 27, 2014, 05:27:14 pm »

Not entirely. Sure, they might not be able to take out a tyrannical government entirely.

But tyranny isn't really about who's at the top, it's about who's at the bottom. You can't run a totalitarian regime if your bureaucrats and secret policemen are being shot up all the time.
Hunting rifles are perfectly sufficient for that. Urban insurgency lives off of mobility - what good would a heavy machine gun do?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: August 27, 2014, 05:38:26 pm »

In theory if a revolution happens the military should stay neutral.  Who the hell knows what would happen in practice.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: August 27, 2014, 05:45:59 pm »

In theory if a revolution happens the military should stay neutral.  Who the hell knows what would happen in practice.

48% of the military would support one side and 48% the other, in proper American fashion.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: August 27, 2014, 05:48:00 pm »

Hunting rifles are perfectly sufficient for that. Urban insurgency lives off of mobility - what good would a heavy machine gun do?
Few people are advocating for ready access to heavy machine guns. The .50 caliber weapon that kicked off this tanget was a .50 caliber semiautomatic rifle. The (extremely common) confusion likely arises from the name of the cartridge, which is designated .50 caliber Browning Machine Gun to differentiate from other 12.7mm ammunition.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: August 27, 2014, 05:57:24 pm »

Regarding the US military, if a revolution happens the military would probably support the people cause you know that little oath they swear, with very few actually supporting the Federal Government.

oath
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: August 27, 2014, 06:01:02 pm »

... that oath doesn't say a damn thing about supporting the people of the united states.

E: Actually, that oath would by all appearances appear to be an explicit declaration of allegiance to the federal government. Guess we better hope there's a lot of oathbreakers in the military if the rebellion ever comes around.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:07:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: August 27, 2014, 06:08:51 pm »

One of the damn things do the fifty of the damn things for the army ALONE, give me the second to find it.

Edit: http://oathkeepers.org/oath/ this is relevant since at least four years ago they made up a third of the military, they also have a page detailing what orders hey wouldn't follow(basically one which would cause a civil war/ Revolution.)

still googleing.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:19:00 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: August 27, 2014, 06:14:20 pm »

... if some other one does, it, well. Wouldn't really matter if that one is one of the ones sworn. One way or another, an army that does anything is going to be oathbreakers by the end of the day in the case of a large scale rebellion, if you've got one like that among the rest.

Point being, I would probably suggest not putting much weight on the things when it comes to figuring out which way the military would jump. Those kinda' sworn oaths very rarely matter to any notable extent, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: August 27, 2014, 06:22:54 pm »

What are you talking about? This isn't a yes/no thing, it's a proportions thing.

In any given rebellion, you're going to have:
1) Some proportion of the population actively rebelling
2) Some people who don't fight / don't offer much help to anybody
3) Some loyalists who will actively side with the standing government

The better armed the civilian population is, simply the lower the relative advantage group #1 can have and still succeed, versus a less well armed population.

For example, if there were no military at all, then all other things equal, you'd expect a rebellion to succeed with a 51% ratio of group #1:#3

With a military, rebels have to have a larger proportional advantage to compensate for the more prepared and trained standing army. But there's always an upper limit, because at the maximum 100% group #1:#3 ratio, the government obviously couldn't ever win, since they'd have zero supply lines with no civilian support (and most of the soldiers would be defecting as well)

So the reality is always in between those two extremes somewhere. And wherever the magical number might be right now for any given proportion of the population in revolt, it moves up by some amount, in a continuous, incremental fashion, as citizens get more modern armaments, and it moves down in a continuous fashion as they get fewer and more outdated armaments.

Generally, I would suspect that most Americans would want the ratio to be somewhere much higher than 51% (unstable) but also much lower than 100% (implying completely unsupported totalitarian reign of horror). And at the same time, we want to balance not too much crime. So there's a balancing act in there, and everybody simply has different opinions, but it all MATTERS.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:24:52 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: August 27, 2014, 06:24:09 pm »

Ordinarily, I'd refuse to believe anybody could actually be that stupid. But these are the House Republicans, so here we are, I guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Republicans loose both the political battle the last shut down was over as well as the public opinion fight? Why would they even want to repeat that?
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: August 27, 2014, 06:37:22 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Republicans loose both the political battle the last shut down was over as well as the public opinion fight? Why would they even want to repeat that?
Because they live in a different world from the rest of us. Also, right-wing populist grandstanding right before elections.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 667