Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821638 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: John Galt's Freedom Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #7860 on: July 29, 2014, 03:04:13 pm »

Not what I expected from Virginia, for some reason.
Federal judges are not exactly average citizens.
Fortunately.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: July 29, 2014, 03:10:20 pm »

Not what I expected from Virginia, for some reason.
Federal judges are not exactly average citizens.
Fortunately.
The fact that they are federal doesn't mean that they are automatically more progressive or whatever.
Case in point, Scalia.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: July 29, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »

In my experience most judges are far more reasonable and less biased either way than Scalia. He's a really far outlier.
In general, judges not on the supreme court are also somewhat less biased and tend to go more by precedent and rules and logical conclusions than by cowboyish whims.
Case in point, the majority of the federal or state judges that  have struck down local homosexuality laws have done so merely by way of mainly leaning on the recent SCOTUS case, essentially saying "the same logic as at the federal level applies lower too, guys, when we test it out and apply it in principle."

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: July 29, 2014, 03:33:53 pm »

Well lower circuits are considerably more bound by precedent than the Supreme Court, and attempting to go against it tends to get your rulings struck down. You do get firebrands and even entire circuit courts who are known for challenging existing law. The Ninth Circuit had a strong reputation for going hard to the left. And getting 80% of their rulings overturned on appeal.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: July 30, 2014, 03:12:38 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #7866 on: July 30, 2014, 03:35:02 pm »

That's just how Conservatives like their blond bombshell politicians.

Inhumanely smooth where visible, prunishly wrinkled underneath.

Basically, someone in the upper ranks of Conservatism seems to think Ann Coulter is the epitome of the Conservative Female look. Me, personally, I don't go in for walking corpses animated by money and racial animosity.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #7867 on: July 30, 2014, 06:08:07 pm »

Basically, someone in the upper ranks of Conservatism seems to think Ann Coulter is the epitome of the Conservative Female look. Me, personally, I don't go in for walking corpses animated by money and racial animosity.
I actually find the idea of a Frankensteinian Romney cadaver to be rather amusing, it certainly warrants a movie at the least.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #7868 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:15 pm »

I think it was somebody in this thread a couple weeks ago who was asking for a website where they could lay out all the basic standard arguments for various issues to stop wasting people's time rehashing them on every internet forum.

http://www.procon.org/

Just stumbled on this. Not quite exactly what was requested, but close.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: July 30, 2014, 10:02:47 pm »

I think it was somebody in this thread a couple weeks ago who was asking for a website where they could lay out all the basic standard arguments for various issues to stop wasting people's time rehashing them on every internet forum.

http://www.procon.org/

Just stumbled on this. Not quite exactly what was requested, but close.

After a quick check, I don't think I'd recommend anyone use that site for anything. There appears to be no fact checking at all, for example:

In addition, the vaccine additive thimerosal (found in most pre-1999 vaccines) has been associated specifically with the development of autism and is still found in certain meningococcal, tetanus, and flu vaccines such as the H1N1 vaccine. [39]

Which is flat out lies. There is *ZERO* scientific evidence that thimerosal causes autism, and the cite is merely to a table that shows the second half (there's still a tiny bit in some vaccines) is true, with no comment one way or another on the first half.

Furthermore, many of the other cites are just to people's personal webpages. If any kook with a website can get a bullet point that's presented as equally valid to a statement from a reputable organization such as the CDC or IoM, then the site is totally worthless.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: July 30, 2014, 10:07:56 pm »

No it's not worthless. The request I'm referring to was for a website that presents COMMON ARGUMENTS for controversial modern topics.

Absolute factual accuracy is not necessary and in fact not even desirable if what you want is an outline of common arguments that are made. Because many common arguments are wrong, and if you only allow rigorously proven ones, then you'd be censoring arguments that do in fact occur commonly, which would undermine the stated purpose of getting an overview of how discussions usually go.

You're describing a different sort of resource and a different desire -- a place that you might use to actually make decisions. I'm suggesting it only as an example of what people asked for earlier, which is a different concept -- a resource that merely summarizes how arguments tend to play out.

(I have no idea what that website itself INTENDS to serve as, but it does effectively serve as a good example of the latter sort of resource regardless)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: July 30, 2014, 10:58:07 pm »

No it's not worthless. The request I'm referring to was for a website that presents COMMON ARGUMENTS for controversial modern topics.

Absolute factual accuracy is not necessary and in fact not even desirable if what you want is an outline of common arguments that are made. Because many common arguments are wrong, and if you only allow rigorously proven ones, then you'd be censoring arguments that do in fact occur commonly, which would undermine the stated purpose of getting an overview of how discussions usually go.

If they are presenting mere common arguments then they should not have the pretension of "sourcing" them as one would for an encyclopedia full of facts. The site is useful, but that bit is misleading.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:35 pm »

If they are presenting mere common arguments then they should not have the pretension of "sourcing" them as one would for an encyclopedia full of facts. The site is useful, but that bit is misleading.

You would want to provide a source for the purpose of showing that somebody HAS made that argument.
Again, I'm not sure if that is their intention, but you would still want sources in the type of site that I am describing and that was requested awhile back. Just not sources of fact, but sources of it being an argument that is actually made.

Which is actually the prototypical usage of a citation. Citations are generally used to merely indicate who you are talking about, not to indicate somebody who is right about the topic.
As an author of actual journal articles myself, I commonly do things like "Some people are wrong about X (citation) for Y reasons."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:10:59 pm by GavJ »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: July 31, 2014, 11:25:56 am »

Kentucky's uninsured rates before and after Obamacare (with Medicare expansion);
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some assumptions there, but the 75% previously uninsured rate for ACA signups seems to be the accepted figure, with an overal 40-48% reduction in the total uninsured population (40% confirmed back in April, 48% projected). High res .pdf from here.

For comparison...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:31:57 am by palsch »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7874 on: July 31, 2014, 04:26:06 pm »

Hey, Kentucky's actually improving for once. Thanks, Obama!
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 667