Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821648 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: John Galt's Freedom Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #7845 on: July 27, 2014, 10:08:33 am »

It does though, because Social Security outlays and Medicare, which are both mainly aimed at seniors make up over 50% of the government spending already, and that is projected to increase as the Baby Boomers retire.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2014/03/07/how-much-do-federal-entitlement-programs-like-social-security-cost-as-a-percentage-of-gdp/
If current laws remained generally unchanged in the future, federal debt held by the public would decline slightly relative to GDP over the next few years, CBO projects. After that, however, growing budget deficits would push debt back to and above its current high level. Twenty-five years from now, in 2039, federal debt held by the public would exceed 100 percent of GDP, CBO projects. Moreover, debt would be on an upward path relative to the size of the economy, a trend that could not be sustained indefinitely.

From your own link. And the prokected increase is almost all from Social Security / Medicare outpayments.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:11:03 am by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: July 27, 2014, 10:09:03 am »

I wonder what that spike in non-interest spending back in '09 was.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: July 27, 2014, 10:14:25 am »

There wasn't really a spike, not according to any actual graphs.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/federal_spending_chart

Revenues plummeted, that's what caused the deficit. Federal spending did increase in dollar terms during the Obama years, but it actually decreased once you adjust for inflation, one of only two presidencies (at least since the 20th century) for which that is true.

The graphs that show the "spike" are all scaled by "percentage of GDP" not actual dollars. What Obama actually did was to maintain spending levels rather than cut spending as the economy collapsed. That's the government's basic job in Keynesian economics: don't make the situation any worse by pulling money out of the economy when everyone else is going broke.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:52:08 am by Reelya »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: July 27, 2014, 10:38:29 am »

Government spending would still have to change. Even if a wealth tax was applied, it doesn't help much if spending habits don't change.

Err... no? That's not really true at all?

If government spending habits remain stable, but you increase the amount coming in, then... that fixes the problem. It helps a lot, in fact!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: July 27, 2014, 10:50:06 am »

I wonder what that spike in non-interest spending back in '09 was.

Stimulus+obligations to the unemployed (Medicaid, unemployment insurance, etc.)+lower GDP
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: July 28, 2014, 06:07:03 pm »

So Hobby Lobby case decision in favor of christian fundamentalism may backfire in the most deliciously ironic way I could imagine - by giving women a sound, practical reason to join the Church of Satan.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: July 28, 2014, 06:54:07 pm »

I hate to nitpick, but the Satanic Temple(in the article), is different from the Church of Satan.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: July 28, 2014, 09:38:27 pm »

I wasn't aware of that, actually, but it will be all the same to a fundie.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:23 pm »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: July 28, 2014, 10:27:21 pm »

I'm starting to think we could just replace FJ with generic stamping machine...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7855 on: July 28, 2014, 10:38:10 pm »

*Misses the joke completely*

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: July 28, 2014, 11:24:10 pm »

Thought experiment, while brainstorming other ways to use hobby lobby to ironically further Liberal agendas:

In the spirit of Hobby Lobby, couldn't I argue that if I owned a business, I could employ undocumented immigrants legally? Let's say I have a religious belief that sloth is morally wrong, and I believe that of all the applicants to some position, the undocumented immigrant had the strongest work ethic. Or whatever. Since you apparently don't have to actually show any record of consistent belief, fill in whatever you feel like that's convenient. It doesn't even have to be factually true, so if you prove somehow during the case that some other guy had a stronger work ethic, whatever, no biggie. I believed otherwise.

If so, then according to Hobby Lobby, the RFRA protects my corporation from the burden of having to hire a more slovenly individual which I believe would be morally evil. Unless the government can demonstrate that doing so is:

1) in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest AND
2) is the least possible restrictive means of furthering that interest.

Presumably the government interest is merely the danger of unpaid taxes, yes? As far as the company is concerned, that is. There may be other concerns about immigration, but they would all be stuff off the clock and thus not my concern. For the business side, all I can see is taxation issues.

Well, here's a possible, less restrictive means of furthering that interest: Allow me to go ahead and pay the employee's income tax FOR him (on top of and above at least a minimum wage), assuming the highest tax bracket, and then get a reimbursement check IF my employee files their income taxes (which you can do and many undocumented immigrants do, without retaliation)

That's less burdensome on my religious belief and still fully furthers the government interest, so they should be obligated to offer this service and also be disallowed from prosecuting me for employing said individuals.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:26:27 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: July 29, 2014, 12:09:37 am »

The good news about Hobby Lobby is that it is definitely going to cause backlash on how well religious organizations are respected by society. I've seen more than one analysis to that effect already, and hopefully there will be some new polling data for it soon. This will, if nothing else, show people how they are affected when religious entities are allowed to dictate policy and their personal lives, and thus why they must be kept in the secular box.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: July 29, 2014, 02:59:25 pm »

In positive news, a Federal Court in Virginia has ruled that gays have an "inalienable right to marry", making it illegal to prohibit gay marriage in Virginia and the other states in the same court district (W. Virginia and the Carolinas, I think).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: July 29, 2014, 03:01:03 pm »

Not what I expected from Virginia, for some reason.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 667