Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819378 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: John Galt's Freedom Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #7470 on: June 30, 2014, 09:05:56 pm »

Alright.  Hadn't read into it that deeply.  I've only seen all the uproar about it among my few politically vocal friends on Facebook, and I've only been home for about an hour after a grueling day at work.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: June 30, 2014, 09:06:31 pm »

Because it honestly went about the best that could be expected. It's a narrow (if extremely poorly justified) judgement that orders the government to cover the cost of those treatments itself so they are still available to people, only allows the company to opt out of 4 out of 12 different contraceptives, only applies this to "closely held" companies and only in that one particular area. (those 4 contraceptives)
There's a thing called precedent.

2 years later: My religion tells me it is wrong to have a minimum wage or to keep meat below 40 degrees or to clean off my prep surfaces before preparing food on them.
"If the government insists on these public health and welfare rules being available, they can just cover the cost of a refrigerator and prep staffperson and the difference of $2 in wages for all my employees."
Why not? Same logic.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: June 30, 2014, 09:08:30 pm »

Because it honestly went about the best that could be expected. It's a narrow (if extremely poorly justified) judgement that orders the government to cover the cost of those treatments itself so they are still available to people, only allows the company to opt out of 4 out of 12 different contraceptives, only applies this to "closely held" companies and only in that one particular area. (those 4 contraceptives)

2 years later: My religion tells me it is wrong to have a minimum wage or to keep meat below 40 degrees or to clean off my prep surfaces before preparing food on them.
"If the government insists on these public health and welfare rules being available, they can just cover the cost of a refrigerator and prep staffperson and the difference of $2 in wages for all my employees."
Why not? Same logic.

Taken to its most extreme logical conclusion:  Guaranteed Basic Income achieved and people stop working for bad companies   :D
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:01 pm »

Why not? Same logic.

Because precedent in the legal sense is more narrowly defined then that.  The slippery slope is a logical fallacy, not a constitutional amendment.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: June 30, 2014, 09:13:21 pm »

Taken to its most extreme logical conclusion:  Guaranteed Basic Income achieved and people stop working for bad companies   :D
No that's only true if the government DOES/CAN cover the costs themselves. Maybe they can for contraception somehow, but not the things that lie further down the slope. Because these companies aren't offering to pay any more taxes, nor does this guarantee customers or anybody else votes for such taxes.

I.e., Nothing about the ruling implies a new source of revenue, yet it obligates a new expenditure.  So taken to it's most extreme logical conclusion, it definitely does not lead to utopia. I'd argue it is actually more like "government can't do shit, either enforce or pay for anything itself" as the logical conclusion. In other words, a Dickens novel.

Because precedent in the legal sense is more narrowly defined then that.
I don't mean just legal precedent. it's also "Oh hey they won that case. Let's try to bring this other case to the supreme court now, that' a little edgier" and the same court is likely to hear it, and likely to rule similarly. Not because they legally have to due to legal precedent. But simply because they're the same court with the same "logic"

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: June 30, 2014, 09:15:32 pm »

So taken to it's most extreme logical conclusion

So taken in the way that Supreme Court precedent does not work...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: June 30, 2014, 09:16:08 pm »

Generally, people try to stop them.
Yup. And bringing them up in conversation is the first step to trying to stop them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: June 30, 2014, 09:16:11 pm »

No that's only true if the government DOES/CAN cover the costs themselves. Maybe they can for contraception somehow, but not the things that lie further down the slope. Because these companies aren't offering to pay any more taxes, nor does this guarantee customers or anybody else votes for such taxes.

I.e., Nothing about the ruling implies a new source of revenue, yet it obligates a new expenditure.  So taken to it's most extreme logical conclusion, it definitely does not lead to utopia. I'd argue it is actually more like "government can't do shit, either enforce or pay for anything itself" as the logical conclusion. In other words, a Dickens novel.

I was being cheeky  :)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: June 30, 2014, 09:18:47 pm »

Precedent is at work here, though. For better or for worse, the US is a common-law country, and precedent in common-law countries cannot be overturned lightly.

It is already legal, for example, for very conservative Christian colleges to make their professors sign contracts stipulating that they will not drink on company time or property. I don't like this (nor do I like a company being able to tell its employees whether they can or can't take contraception), but it is the legal reality. The SCOTUS ruling handed down today isn't a conspiracy against women's rights, as much as clickbait writers would have you believe. It's the application of an established doctrine to the legal clusterfuck that is Obamacare.

The real takeaway here is that a) precedent can be a bitch, but it's necessary, and b) employers shouldn't be involved in their employees' healthcare, but we already knew that, and it's a much bigger hill to die on.

For that matter, I wonder, just out of curiosity, what the repercussions would be if SCOTUS had ruled differently? I can't imagine they'd be worse than the current situation, but, for example, in not-at-will states, employees cannot be fired except for cause. Having an affair is not a crime. So should the Catholic Church be allowed, on religious grounds, to fire priests who have affairs? Surely most of us would agree they should be allowed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:23:04 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: June 30, 2014, 09:24:44 pm »

I'm not so sure about this.

It's a narrow ruling in effect, but used some extremely broad reasoning. I've been discussing this elsewhere and can't pull everything together again now, but basically as precedent this has incredible value to anyone who wants to challenge anything on religious grounds, in that literally any religious claim (core to the decision was that the court can't assess such claims, only assume they are valid) by any closely held company (including those that employ around 52 percent of private employees) will have to pass an extremely high judicial test; that of meeting a compelling state interest (or one that 5/9 judges find compelling - apparently 4 of the majority here didn't) in the least-restrictive manner possible. The 'narrow' part here is based on the decision being made on the latter part, demonstrating that there is a less restrictive way to provide contraceptive cover (as done with religious non-profits) and assuming that the judges or challengers can't just dream up some other equally improbable-to-pass-Congress less restrictive paths for other aspects.

Basically I think that Ginsburg had a stronger point in her dissent. This is opening a minefield.

Anyway, a good primer on the decision here.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: June 30, 2014, 09:25:22 pm »

It is already legal, for example, for very conservative Christian colleges to make their professors sign contracts stipulating that they will not drink on company time or property.
Uh, isn't that legal for ALL colleges to make rules about? This isn't a religious issue at all.
1) Drinking alcohol is not a protected class. (neither is contraception taking)
2) There aren't any laws guaranteeing a right to alcohol consumption I'm aware of anywhere. (this is where the contraception example differs)

Thus institutions can make whatever rules they feel like about drinking. Public or private.

Also, you know, minor niggling details like contraception being a healthcare option, and alcohol being a recreational drug.   ::)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: June 30, 2014, 09:28:36 pm »

It was poorly written, but I think he was saying that it's legal for *example of people who would desire doing this* very conservative colleges, not that ONLY THOSE types of colleges are legally allowed to make such a restriction.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: June 30, 2014, 09:29:50 pm »

It was poorly written, but I think he was saying that it's legal for *example of people who would desire doing this* very conservative colleges, not that ONLY THOSE types of colleges are legally allowed to make such a restriction.

Right. Yeah, I should have phrased it better, but it's night and I'm getting tired.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: June 30, 2014, 09:30:13 pm »

Both colleges I have attended were not religious and both of them disallowed drinking anywhere on campus by anybody. One private (secular), one state public.
Edit: one of them had an exception for greek houses, but I think it was because the university didn't actually own them in that town.

Edit 2: My current state university actually will even kick you out of housing not only for drinking at any age, but for being in a room with alcohol, or displaying empty bottles as decoration, even one full of soil with a plant growing in it could lose you your housing and get you a suspension plus a fine.

They also arrest people for being intoxicated on university premises, hypothetically even if you're of age as a resident, for trespassing due to having signed an agreement to not do so while on the site. If not a resident, they may suspend whoever's guest you are.

Smoking is also banned everywhere on campus.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:38:28 pm by GavJ »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: June 30, 2014, 09:49:20 pm »

OK, one last go before sleep.

This wasn't about past precedent. This was more about a new reading of current legislation.

One important part of the case was whether the RFRA applies to for-profit corporations. Now there is a good case that it does, but as made by Volokh here it only rests on precedent by analogy to other rights. At no point in the past has there been a directly applicable finding binding that interpretation of the RFRA. Rather it's the fact that corporations are granted similar rights and that granting them religious liberty in this case makes an extended logical sense.

Once was is granted the court had to decide how to assess religious claims by the corporation. Here there is rather more precedent, but all about religious claims of individuals. One example they used was of a Jehovah's Witness who worked in a steel plant, cutting sheets for use in weapons. He was moved to a position where he was directly building tanks using the same steel. He protested this was a violation of his religious beliefs. The nuanced difference might make no sense to someone else but his claim was upheld. The court held that it can never assess the validity or nature of religious claims, only whether they are being violated in a valid or invalid manner.

In this vein the gross hypocrisy and scientific illiteracy of Hobby Lobby's position was essentially inadmissible. The fact that they made the claim as a religious belief was enough for their claim to have to be treated as valid and protected, regardless of past behaviour or the facts of the situation. It raises the test for the validity of a law to strict scrutiny, a very hard barrier for any law to pass.

The danger here is that taking these two together gives any private company a way to issue a very strong challenge to damned near any law. I can't really imagine it working all that often, but if this decision is read a literal precedent rather than in the narrow way it is being argued it should be then those challenges have far greater validity than I believe they should, or are likely to be granted by future courts.

This case had the added level of political spanking that pushed it in the direction it went. A future case with less delicious political angles is unlikely to go this far, and I wouldn't be surprised if some elements of the precedent here got walked back quickly within the next decade.
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 667