Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822280 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #4275 on: November 05, 2013, 12:31:07 pm »

Happy Election Day! It's an off year, but there are still a few elections to watch:

-Ken Cuccinelli, Tea Party darling and all-around lunatic, against Terry McAuliffe (who is very likely to win), today in Virginia.

-Chris Christie, moderate GOP governor of New Jersey, against Democrat Barbara Buono, state senator. Christie is likely to win.

-New York is electing a new mayor, now that Bloomberg's reached term limit. The likely winner is Democrat Bill de Blasio.

-Detroit will get to elect a mayor with almost no power whatsoever.

It's also the five-year anniversary of Election Day 2008. How much changes in half a decade, and how little...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:34:28 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: November 05, 2013, 01:10:42 pm »

Glad to see the Tea Party (hopefully) on it's way to it's political grave.

If Chris Christie wins, I see that as another blow to the Tea Party and also the harmful to everyone Republican obstructionism movement in general. If he can manage to continue to be a compromise candidate focussed on getting things done through working with Democrats rather than an all or nothing approach, it sends a clear message to the Republican party how they should handle their business in the future.

In New York, the issue being raised most commonly that I've heard is whether the new Mayor will support the stop and frisk policy. To me, it seems like a policy which might do beneficial in my opinion things like find and remove from circulation illegal and serialless concealed firearms. However, it also could send members of targetted communities to jail or prison for relatively minor crimes such as possesion of a controlled substance, notably cannibis, where they are forced into association with practicioners of much worse crimes, where they may be influenced into accepting as normal and right violent crimes or attrocious exploitation of their fellows for profit by peddling such things as meth or heroin or presciption drugs or cocaine. For this reason I have to say I do not support this policy.

In Detroit, since I don't get the Free Press, I'm less knowledgable than I should be. I can't recall Mayor Bing being a bad Mayor, but Mayor Kilpatrick was well known in Michigan to be a very poor Mayor. I think it's more because of the repurcussions of that era that the Governor appointed the Emergency manager. Hopefully, should the next Mayor prove to be able and competent, the City Council will vote to revoke the Emergency Manager once it's able to do so, in order to restore the city back to it's own elected official rather than an appointed official of the Governer's office. I don't have an opinion on the EM's effectiveness, as I am embarressingly poorly informed about his performance due to being limited by my finances in affording the Detroit Free Press, the main Detroit newspaper, to my regret. I recall one scandal he was involved in that I posted about on this forums, but to be honest I've forgotten the details other than it was misuse of finances.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: November 05, 2013, 02:44:49 pm »

My local neck of the woods is also electing a mayor. Granted that being mayor of my neck of the woods is like being principal of a home school.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4278 on: November 05, 2013, 03:01:02 pm »

....In New York, the issue being raised most commonly that I've heard is whether the new Mayor will support the stop and frisk policy....

To add to your other points, I would like to say that Stop and Frisk is blatantly unconstitutional. You can't just have police officers walking up and searching you for stuff. It's not a slippery slope, it's not that it has bad side effects, it is the actual bad thing that other things are slippery slopes to!

Being unsecure in your personal belongings is the definition of tyranny.

As a method of securing safety, it's like keeping a child safe from harm by cutting their face off so that their horrifying scars will scare off potential threats.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: November 05, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »

It's bad when you have a policy not being unanimously seen as unconstitutional, when almost that exact policy was the reason that the amendment banning it was originally added to the Constitution in the first place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: November 05, 2013, 03:57:57 pm »

No, that would be being a non-inherited monarch.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: November 05, 2013, 05:18:24 pm »

No, that would be being a non-inherited monarch.

Sure, if you're using archaic definitions while completely ignoring the other modern and widely accepted definitions.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: November 05, 2013, 06:06:27 pm »

And we're back to nobody agreeing on what anything means.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: November 05, 2013, 07:13:28 pm »

Mittens has reappeared from the shadows to invoke Chris Christie as the savior of the GOP. Good luck getting past the primaries.

And, a bill to outlaw discrimination in the workplace based on orientation or gender identity has overcome a few hurdles in the Senate. I fully expect it will die a slow, painful death in the House, which (as per the Washington Post's Greg Sargent) is likely to rile up Democratic voters come 2014. That's important, since Democrats have demographic trouble during midterms. But hell is going to freeze over before Boehner brings it to pass with mostly Democratic support.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:21:15 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: November 05, 2013, 07:24:05 pm »

Mittens endorsing Christie probably hurts him more than it helps him, especially since Mittens himself is on the way to becoming a traitor to the Republicans, as are all members of the party who fail them and do not retreat further into madness.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: November 05, 2013, 07:26:32 pm »

When even the Rom com isn't crazy enough, you know you are having a fun time.
So what happens after the republicans go extinct? A new age of scientific rationalism vs leftist PETA style extremists?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: November 05, 2013, 07:26:51 pm »

Mittens endorsing Christie probably hurts him more than it helps him, especially since Mittens himself is on the way to becoming a traitor to the Republicans, as are all members of the party who fail them and do not retreat further into madness.

It gets better, since it looks like Romney didn't even like Christie that much during the campaign, especially in regards to Christie's rather rotund appearance (and the article stressed that Romney was not, technically, endorsing Christie for tonight's election). According to the article, his campaign's codename for Christie was "Pufferfish".

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: November 05, 2013, 07:36:33 pm »

When even the Rom com isn't crazy enough, you know you are having a fun time.
So what happens after the republicans go extinct? A new age of scientific rationalism vs leftist PETA style extremists?

The left in the USA would be conservative anywhere else.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: November 05, 2013, 07:40:04 pm »

The governmental left. But I'm wondering, is the actual population all that different?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: November 05, 2013, 07:49:17 pm »

If anything, the Democratic party probably leans leftward of the general population. It is pretty common, for example, for people to back the party because of it's positions on gay rights, labor, and welfare while hating the party line on abortion and gun control.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 667