Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822230 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #4290 on: November 05, 2013, 07:54:13 pm »

Really, abortion is still a heated issue?
I remember when we had a right wing leader who supported it, and gay marriage and carbon emissions reductions... God I miss those days.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: November 05, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »

If anything, the Democratic party probably leans leftward of the general population. It is pretty common, for example, for people to back the party because of it's positions on gay rights, labor, and welfare while hating the party line on abortion and gun control.
There is evidence to suggest that American politicians extremely overestimate how conservative their constituencies are. That I think is a big problem for the American left. They're so afraid of shattering what victories they achieve that they don't do as much as they could or should due to the stereotype of America being a conservative nation.

Anyway, I'm watching the results for the Virginian election, and the Libertarian candidate is doing shockingly well given his position.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: November 05, 2013, 08:45:52 pm »

When even the Rom com isn't crazy enough, you know you are having a fun time.
So what happens after the republicans go extinct? A new age of scientific rationalism vs leftist PETA style extremists?

If that happened, and it's a pretty big if... you would probably see another "era of good feelings".  Just like the first era of good feelings, it would be full of vitriolic rhetoric but it would be pretty clear who's in charge.  If the republicans were more interested in party purity than winning elections, we could see ongoing democratic dominance of the political system, like in the US during the early 19th century and Japan for much of the postwar era.  These are both examples of first past the post electoral systems where there wasn't political space for a coalition to seriously challenge the ruling coalition.  If we assume that the republicans don't change course, that's what we'd have because there is no room for them to secure any political alliances beyond the libertarian alliance they already have.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: November 05, 2013, 08:47:46 pm »

Same-sex marriage has passed the Illinois state legislature. I think it's going to go to the governor tonight? Man, these are just falling like dominoes these decades.

And Chris Christie wins New Jersey's gubernatorial election, to the surprise of pretty much nobody, getting impressive results with Hispanics, blacks, women, and everyone else the GOP has alienated in the last couple of decades, despite his standard Republican position on same-sex marriage, abortion and economic issues. (I suspect he'll change his tune on gay marriage by 2016, though). Mittens may be right: he might be the man to save the GOP in its eleventh hour. But will they take him?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:55:55 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: November 05, 2013, 08:52:48 pm »

If anything, the Democratic party probably leans leftward of the general population. It is pretty common, for example, for people to back the party because of it's positions on gay rights, labor, and welfare while hating the party line on abortion and gun control.
There is evidence to suggest that American politicians extremely overestimate how conservative their constituencies are. That I think is a big problem for the American left. They're so afraid of shattering what victories they achieve that they don't do as much as they could or should due to the stereotype of America being a conservative nation.

That study only covered two issues. Granted, they're hot-button right now, but that can hardly be extrapolated to all issues.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: November 05, 2013, 08:54:28 pm »

So the Virginian election is at 70% reporting, and it looks like, against all polls, Cuccinelli actually has a shot.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: November 05, 2013, 09:08:09 pm »

So the Virginian election is at 70% reporting, and it looks like, against all polls, Cuccinelli actually has a shot.

Now at 81%. I've read that sometimes this happens and the Democrat wins, anyways, because the suburbs of DC are the last to report in, but it looks like it will be very close. Frankly, I'm surprised; you'd think the Libertarian candidate would steal Republican voters, not Democratic ones.

Ah, well. He's not going to survive more than a term if he does win. In the short term, his victory will only strengthen the Tea Party's influence.

Edit to the edit: I think that might have a possibility of happening. Currently, Cuccinelli is winning, but by 23,000 votes. Prince William and Fairfax counties are currently sitting at 45% reporting and 55% reporting, and they're densely populated and blue. But it's going to be neck and neck.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:13:16 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: November 05, 2013, 09:11:09 pm »

Sarvis is getting votes from all over the place. He's got 10% figures in several Republican and Democratic counties.

Edit: Amusingly, Huffington Post has declared Bill de Blasio the winner of the New York Mayoral elections ten minutes after the polls closed, with 0% reporting.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:23:11 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: November 05, 2013, 09:25:51 pm »

Update: 85% reporting. Cuccinelli is sitting at 46.8% of the vote, McAuliffe at 46.4%, with less than 7,000 votes between them. I suspect that gap will close in a matter of minutes. Also, Charlottesville is only 10% reporting.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:30:30 pm by FearfulJesuit »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: November 05, 2013, 09:40:23 pm »

91% reporting. McAuliffe has closed the gap and is now on top.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: November 05, 2013, 10:10:01 pm »

95% reporting. The Washington Post has called the election for McAuliffe.

In other news, I'm trying to find a live update of the primary currently happening in Alabama's 1st Congressional District, but can't. Why would that matter, you ask? The Atlantic has a good summary. If Byrne, the non-crazy, loses, then it points for the crazies to turn out in droves during the 2014 primary season beginning in a few months.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: November 05, 2013, 10:54:48 pm »

According to Huffington, Byrne is winning by a large margin.

Edit: The race for Attorney General is very, very close at 99% reporting. It's happening.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:27:50 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: November 06, 2013, 12:09:08 am »

Amusingly, Huffington Post has declared Bill de Blasio the winner of the New York Mayoral elections ten minutes after the polls closed, with 0% reporting.
As the New Yorker in the house, let me just say that was already a late call at that point. Most of us called it back when he won the primary and the first polls for the general came out showing De Blasio with a 40-point lead.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: November 06, 2013, 12:13:18 am »

In unrelated news, Rob Ford -- the mayor of Toronto -- announced today that he has smoked crack before.

Asked for a clarification of when this occurred, he responded "Probably in one of my drunken stupors." (this is an honest-to-God verbatim quote. Stupors. In the plural.)

Ford is not resigning and intends to stand for re-election when his term ends.

Two observations:
1. This man wins the 2013 Brass Cajones award, narrowly edging out Don "Lazy Blacks" Yelton.
2. WTF, Canada?? When did you start electing Charlie Sheen?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: November 06, 2013, 12:17:03 am »

In unrelated news, Rob Ford -- the mayor of Toronto -- announced today that he has smoked crack before.

Asked for a clarification of when this occurred, he responded "Probably in one of my drunken stupors." (this is an honest-to-God verbatim quote. Stupors. In the plural.)

Ford is not resigning and intends to stand for re-election when his term ends.

Two observations:
1. This man wins the 2013 Brass Cajones award, narrowly edging out Don "Lazy Blacks" Yelton.
2. WTF, Canada?? When did you start electing Charlie Sheen?
I recall that a video had surfaced of him smoking it was acquired by the police; the Police Chief stated there wasn't enough evidence to convict him, but that "as a citizen, I am embarrassed". He hasn't openly admitted to smoking crack up until now, but his drunken stupors are very public and well-known.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 667