Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820730 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2730 on: October 04, 2013, 10:14:48 am »

Now's the the time to invade. They'll never see it coming

I like that people are giving food away to people out of work. That's a nice bit of humanity there. Oh, and I can concur with the "looking-up-what-the-heck furlough meant". :P
But how can Brits not know that word? It's even got British spelling and everything! If it was an American word, you know we'd be spelling it ferlo or firlow or something.

I can't speak for the British, seeing as I'm Australian, but here just calling it "leave" would be much more common.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2731 on: October 04, 2013, 10:15:35 am »

Actually, according to the first online etymological dictionary I found, it's dutch. Probably past by UK English first, got itself inserted in the Shutdown law (Which is pretty old), then died out. With the shutdown, they dredged it up.

1620s, vorloffe, from Dutch verlof, literally "permission," from Middle Dutch ver- "completely, for" + laf, lof "permission," which is related to the second element in believe and to leave (n.).

The -gh spelling developed by 1770s and represents an "f" that was once pronounced at the end of the word but disappeared fairly soon thereafter in English.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: October 04, 2013, 10:35:37 am »

Actually, according to the first online etymological dictionary I found, it's dutch. Probably past by UK English first, got itself inserted in the Shutdown law (Which is pretty old), then died out. With the shutdown, they dredged it up.

1620s, vorloffe, from Dutch verlof, literally "permission," from Middle Dutch ver- "completely, for" + laf, lof "permission," which is related to the second element in believe and to leave (n.).

The -gh spelling developed by 1770s and represents an "f" that was once pronounced at the end of the word but disappeared fairly soon thereafter in English.
No, the usage is wider than that. Before the term "R&R" gained popularity during the Vietnam era, soldiers on leave from base were "granted furlough" (land equivalent of "shore leave").

I can't speak for the British, seeing as I'm Australian, but here just calling it "leave" would be much more common.
Well, y'all use "queue" (or at least the Brits do) whereas we just say "bunch of people standing in line". Not as efficient, but a hell of a lot easier to spell.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: October 04, 2013, 10:47:17 am »

Or we just say "line".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: October 04, 2013, 11:39:59 am »

Republicans have suicided all future election chances. Speaker Boner could let the House vote right now and end it. Those people who say this is a negotiation, I'd like to refer to a statment by GOP:

The committee Republicans, fourteen of whom are still in the House, wrote:

We have serious and growing concerns about the process and composition of any potential CR… At a time of extreme spending and political fatigue, it is simply unacceptable to use a must-pass CR as a legislative vehicle for more wasteful federal spending or completing an array of unfinished political business before the election.

They concluded, “we want to make our position abundantly clear: we will not support efforts to pass a CR that contains any unnecessary spending or legislative provisions unrelated to maintaining government operations."
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/10/01/2710681/shutdown-flashback-clean-cr/

Height of shame.

What's stopping the senate from passing a CR with mandatory federal background check amendments? 90% of people supported that.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2735 on: October 04, 2013, 01:38:21 pm »

10. British people now know what 'furlough' means

Concurred. Now is the time for 1812, WHITEHOUSE BURNING BEST DAY OF LIFE
GIVE BACK BRITISH CLAY

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: October 04, 2013, 01:40:32 pm »

Speaker Boner
Sigmund, we have a problem.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: October 04, 2013, 01:42:41 pm »

10. British people now know what 'furlough' means

Concurred. Now is the time for 1812, WHITEHOUSE BURNING BEST DAY OF LIFE
GIVE BACK BRITISH CLAY

I, for one, welcome our new tea-drinking overlords. I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground crumpet mines.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: October 04, 2013, 01:43:59 pm »

Fool! Crumpets grow on trees. It is treacle that we mine.
This is a blank sig.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: October 04, 2013, 01:48:29 pm »

Wouldnt that be more like an oil rig then? Treacle is a sticky syrup, not a hard chunk!

SURELY you mean "Work in the tea fields, toiling endlessly to meet the UK's insatiable demand for quality black tea leaves" right?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: October 04, 2013, 01:49:34 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new tea-drinking overlords. I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground crumpet mines.
... wouldn't that be our old tea-drinking overlords?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: October 04, 2013, 01:50:50 pm »

I'm afraid you'll have to ask Terry Pratchett about that one, wierd. My understanding was that the Welsh mined pot noodles.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: October 04, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »

Republicans have suicided all future election chances. Speaker Boner could let the House vote right now and end it.
I really wish this were true. Unfortunately I know a lot of republicans will only respond to this with a sarcastic "Thanks Obama!"

Never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: October 04, 2013, 01:59:57 pm »

Terry Pratchett is not the first one to mention the Treacle mines. I mean, they were referred to in the Original Alice in Wonderland

Wikipedia

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: October 04, 2013, 02:10:22 pm »

Thank you for correcting me, 10ebbor10.

I really wish this were true. Unfortunately I know a lot of republicans will only respond to this with a sarcastic "Thanks Obama!"

Never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

I second this. What it may do though is drive any people who were still open minded about voting Republican well over to the Democrat side.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 667