Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820798 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2700 on: October 03, 2013, 11:19:58 pm »

Do you think we could bag ourselves a Hawaii that way? I've always wanted one of those, Lord Howe Island just isn't the same...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2701 on: October 03, 2013, 11:20:42 pm »

Nah, it'll be pretty much a peaceful annex. "Yo, New England. We're loved by the world, we're incredibly similar in so many ways, and your own government just proved how incapable it is. Wanna join up?"
New England would be a match for Canada as an independent federation, I think they'd rather do that than join you. It wouldn't be the first time New England contemplated becoming their own state.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2702 on: October 03, 2013, 11:21:27 pm »

Is Canada still being run by Conservatives? Like, the guy who won the election because the other three popular parties were all liberal and split the votes, and he was responsible for committing major crimes by buying US military aircraft that he wasn't allowed to in secret, and when found out he was meant to go on trial until the rest of his party won the majority of the government positions and then just cancelled the trial?

Because if so, then I believe what Canada will actually do is say "Hey, States! I heard you got a problem, and I think I have the solution. We're best buds, right? How about we just give you all of our territory and we can be one giant United States of North America (Mexico doesn't count)? Does that sound good? Also, if you guys need cash until that happens, I can totally buy more planes."
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: October 03, 2013, 11:22:27 pm »

The Crazie has been identified as Miriam Carey, 34-yr old Dental Hygienist. Appears to be history of Mental issues, search of her house has hazmat as a suspicious letter was left on the porch; unidentified white dust was on it. The Woman was not armed with a gun, but instead used the car itself as a weapon, ramming it into a barricade and a car, injuring a Capital policeman and a Secret Service member

Interestingly, Capitol Police are currently working without pay, and a bill in the House will likely be voted on to recognize them as heroes.

Called it for lack of pre-planning. Or just REALLY BAD planning, maybe. Still, tragic rather than sinister. I hope the kid has good relatives to go to =\

Ironic, considering potatoes contain all the nutrients required to keep a human alive.*

*You will need to eat several potatoes for the desired effect.

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: October 03, 2013, 11:23:33 pm »

the other three popular parties were all liberal and split the votes
Wait, does Canada has First Past the Post or Preferential voting?
Seriously, how does Canada not have preferences?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: October 03, 2013, 11:29:25 pm »

* Descan shrugs.

We're dumb.

Each area elects a representative, via FPTP. The party with the most representatives gets the prime ministership.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: October 03, 2013, 11:32:03 pm »

Sounds like the pretty standard parliamentary system so typical of the commonwealth, but seriously, preferences, get on that Canada (And the US for that matter!) they work a lot better than FPTP.
Although block voting tickets can be a problem apparently, so avoid those.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: October 03, 2013, 11:40:30 pm »

I looked it up and most reform-minded Canadians (not that there seem to be many) want proportional representation over preferences.

Would it be so hard to have a kind of running tally vote? Like, a website run by Elections Canada where you cast a(n informal) vote for your candidate, changeable at any time?

Dudes in power can see how much they're fucking up and who people prefer after them, and if the number slides so the second-place party over-takes the first-place, a general election is called.

Seems like it'd work for any actual-voting method. Whether proportional, AV/preferences, or even FPTP.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2708 on: October 03, 2013, 11:47:32 pm »

I imagine it would get botnetted, hacked and proxy-spammed to hell. Then again, I'm not sure how many people care about Canadian politics other than Canada. Even if that were taken care of, the running tally would still be highly volatile. Maybe require the second-place party to maintain its higher votecount for a week or so?

Also, you guys need better radar. Seriously, Canada's version of the US's National Weather Service has really crappy radar. I get that you guys don't have a lot of storms, but it looks like your radar is our radar from like 20 years ago. Also, you need better press about it, because a friend of mine didn't even know you guys had something like a "National Weather Service".
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: October 03, 2013, 11:51:49 pm »

Is this now an anglosphere survival thread?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: October 03, 2013, 11:55:06 pm »

The actual method of it would probably need some work. I'm really only caring about the "Running tally that calls a general election" idea, regardless of it's from carrier pigeon or mind-to-mind telepathy.

Though you're right, the inherent volatility would definitely require a waiting period.

Edit: Why isn't Canada giant burly lumberjack on a horse? Why doesn't America have like, 50 guns? Where's the U.K.'s tea? Or Australia's... uhm... ...

Pretty sure New Zealands correct, though!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:56:59 pm by Descan »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: October 04, 2013, 12:15:40 am »

The Crazie has been identified as Miriam Carey, 34-yr old Dental Hygienist. Appears to be history of Mental issues, search of her house has hazmat as a suspicious letter was left on the porch; unidentified white dust was on it. The Woman was not armed with a gun, but instead used the car itself as a weapon, ramming it into a barricade and a car, injuring a Capital policeman and a Secret Service member

Interestingly, Capitol Police are currently working without pay, and a bill in the House will likely be voted on to recognize them as heroes.

Called it for lack of pre-planning. Or just REALLY BAD planning, maybe. Still, tragic rather than sinister. I hope the kid has good relatives to go to =\
Currently the child is in protective custody.

Sounds like the pretty standard parliamentary system so typical of the commonwealth, but seriously, preferences, get on that Canada (And the US for that matter!) they work a lot better than FPTP.
Although block voting tickets can be a problem apparently, so avoid those.
Preferences, get on our level. The US doesn't need Parliamentary system to be unstable, and I don't see any benefits.

Also, we have hit significant de-rail levels. At this rate of increase, we risk the situation going critical!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: October 04, 2013, 12:16:03 am »

Pretty sure New Zealands correct, though!
no needs a black singlet, gum boots, floppy  hat and a sheep dog

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: October 04, 2013, 12:18:06 am »

Canada is part of America, so Canadian politics is totally relevant.
Heck current affairs in Brazil would technically be on topic.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: October 04, 2013, 12:29:53 am »

Also, we have hit significant de-rail levels. At this rate of increase, we risk the situation going critical!
I refuse to re-rail the thread until the other side refuses to stop not talking about bears. You have the power to end this -- TALK ABOUT BEARS.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 667