Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821170 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: SEDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2475 on: October 01, 2013, 08:27:04 pm »

Don't be fooled. The democrats are not good guys. Just less overt bad guys.

Or, did the DMCA, and their involvement in repealing glass-stegal, or their compliance with passing the patriot act and forming the TSA not serve as significant signs?  Perhaps we need to bring out Dodd again? You know, king of the quid pro quo gaffe?

There isn't a political party that actually wants real benefits for americans. The dems jut have a campaign angle with the less fortunate and with minority groups. I doubt *real* assistance and education programs would interest them much, because it would destroy their angle.

Sorry for being Mr Pessimist, but seriously. They aren't good guys. Just less overt bad guys.

*is tired of voting for evil.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: October 01, 2013, 08:42:33 pm »

Unfortunately, we don't really have a viable alternative right now. The current major parties are both VERY good at absorbing or quashing any others that crop up. If the Republicans explode sufficiently there might be a decent power vacuum for a new conservative party to emerge, but the only groups currently capable of filling that role are even worse than the current actors.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: October 01, 2013, 08:49:43 pm »

It's not really fair to mark a group consisting of several allied factions as "bad guys". The Democrats have issues, of course, but they are tiny next to the GOP, and not even visible when compared to the Tea Party.

Remember, it is ultimately the people who manipulate and control what politicians do. The US public supported DMCA (which really isn't that bad of a law when it is actually followed), the Patriot Act, and the TSA at the times they were passed into law. Now that this has changed, they aren't likely to last.

On the Patriot Act in particular I am fairly proud of America, because despite continuing terrorist acts like the Boston Marathon Bombing public opinion has still turned against such measures. The public is becoming desensitized to the grip of reactionary fear that allows such abuses to be made law, and soon we will be rid of them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: October 01, 2013, 08:52:42 pm »

On the Patriot Act in particular I am fairly proud of America, because despite continuing terrorist acts like the Boston Marathon Bombing public opinion has still turned against such measures. The public is becoming desensitized to the grip of reactionary fear that allows such abuses to be made law, and soon we will be rid of them.
That is what they said about the communists.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: October 01, 2013, 08:55:22 pm »

Oh indeed! I know!  The idea was to appear at least open to compromise, and to make the obstinance of the GOP become yet more egg on their face. I can rationally justify putting those 3 together.

Here, let me demonstrate.

"It is far too reckless to destroy the space agency and the environmental protection agency, while continuing funding for weapons research; in the immediate case, we would have many skilled rocketry and advanced jet propulsion and nuclear scientists out of work, unable to find new work domestically, and under extreme pressure to migrate to foriegn countries to find work. That alone constitutes a serious security problem, which is why defunding NASA while continuing funding for military R&D is beyond incomprehensible.  In the long term, military R&D freed from the oversight of environmental protection would most certainly begin work on technologies and systems that present consistent and pernicious long term threats to american providence: providence which the afore mentioned R&D programs are intended to protect. Thus, without the EPA, the very conception of such development projects going forward is a complete tautology. We have to be sure that the systems and technologies re safe for america."
How about this a plan using these guidelines
  • Super weapons are cool and solve problems.
  • One Super weapon should be a heat-laser rocket missile.
  • The sheer power of the rocket testing would damage the environment.
  • Environmental destruction would slow super rocket research
  • We should also destroy their environment when we use it
*Add "or something" to the end of all guidelines as necessary.

Therefore, Funding all three as part of the K.A.B.O.O.M.M.(the Kilo-Atomic Biosphere Obliterating Orbital Missile Mandate) is the only reasonable idea.
*is tired of voting for evil.
It is so incredibly pathetic that the democrats are the good guys in this country.
You should take a look at the new direction I am planning for the republicans/democrats/whoever-listens: "FRICKING LASER BEAM BOMBS BLOWING SHIT UP".  It has a scientific backing too: As the size of a explosion increases, the number of problems it cannot solve approaches 0.

That said, there are some very different ideas about why the system sucks, and everyone has their own. God forbid everyone is right, and this is the worst of all possible worlds.
It's not really fair to mark a group consisting of several allied factions as "bad guys". The Democrats have issues, of course, but they are tiny next to the GOP, and not even visible when compared to the Tea Party.
This. I mean, the sheer difference between say, the National Security wing and the tea-partiers is so great it's almost unfair to lump them together, and yet there they are.
COMMUNISTS?!!? ARE THEY BACK!?@?!? WHERE?!? BY GOD I'LL MURDER EVERY PINKO BLEEDING HEART I CAN SEE! THEY'RE SAPPING OUR BODILY FLUIDS AS WE SPEAK!>!>!#?@?!@#
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:56:58 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: October 01, 2013, 08:59:50 pm »

Which only proves my point further. Traumatic experiences lead to panicked reactions, followed shortly thereafter by the return of reasonable thought. Basic human psychology.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: October 01, 2013, 09:08:26 pm »

Clever Acronyms for pointlessly destructive initiatives aside, it seems increasingly like that, as the Debt Ceiling looms, the CR will be swept up into that as part of some larger Fiscal Crisis.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: October 01, 2013, 09:19:56 pm »

Well, good thing I haven't started saving for retirement. Because by the sounds of it, no one will have any left by the time Boehner is done. Unless of course your savings are invested in shorting the stock markets. :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: October 01, 2013, 09:26:20 pm »

While I know it is "well and good" (with sarcasm) that I would say such, but I was against all 3 laws, citing:

DMCA: this law provides no real effective defense against abuse by copyright holders for people that aren't media service providers. It has no protections for fair use, and has no real codified penalties to prevent spurious claims of infringement. I realize napster made the recording industry make brown stains as their asses choked on their BVDs, but by the same token, you are giving the people who were suing grandma just last year, increased power to sue, and increasing the duration of copyright ownership before entering the public domain by an additional 100 years. Seriously? How is this a good thing?

Patriot act: seriously, you want me to keep records on every user who uses my server, keep packet logs of all transactions, log all IP addresses, and all kinds of other invasive shit, because of what some low tech terrorists did with planes, box knives, and bombs? Perhaps you should re-focus that alarmism in a more constructive direction, like honestly evaluating why they felt vindicated in killing themselves to kill so many other people, in such a fashion. You know- like how we are constantly meddling in their affairs, rigging their elections, installing dictators, and shit?  Do we really need to bring up the obvious McCarthy era type hysterionics this smacks of? Really? And you are serious about passing it?  You KNOW that terrorism is a vehicle for affecting political change, in reaction to a horrific or terrifying event, right? That reacting in this fashion is what the terrorists want, and that the most sensible thing you could possibly do, is to deny them that?  No? Ok, fine. Enjoy your stazi.

TSA: Oh look. The stazi are finally here, making sure I don't have seditious materials or terrorist toothpaste. God bless the USA, land of the brave and home of the free. Certainly I can spread my legs for you officer.  ...Lower... Oh yeah, that's the spot.  Keep up the good work. Oh, you want to police the highways and bus stations too? Sure! Can't be too careful these days!

For real. How could supposedly educated people NOT fucking see these things?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: October 01, 2013, 09:37:01 pm »

What I wanna know: What the hell does Puerto Rico want to do with America, considering all this? @_@
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:57 pm »

What I wanna know: What the hell does Puerto Rico want to do with America, considering all this? @_@

Puerto Rico is a part of the American Commonwealth, though not a U.S. state. It's a bit confusing.

http://gopuertorico.about.com/od/introductiontopuertorico/f/Statehood.htm
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:54:20 pm by BlackFlyme »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: October 01, 2013, 09:56:58 pm »

They voted for statehood, though. Why. Whyyyyy.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: October 01, 2013, 09:57:31 pm »

The same reason any part of America wishes to remain part of what is still the world's most powerful state.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: October 01, 2013, 09:59:44 pm »

They voted for statehood, though. Why. Whyyyyy.
They did this before gigantic clusterfuckbombshitpolitics.
Back then it was only medium clusterfuckbombshitpolitics.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: October 01, 2013, 10:02:08 pm »

For real. How could supposedly educated people NOT fucking see these things?
Not a easy way to say this, but we can't all be as educated as you. In fact, Democracy is based around the opinions of the unwashed, unshaved, uneducated masses. Also invoking the Stazi is a pet peeve of mine.

Because they have all the suck of being in the US, and none of the good stuff. If they leave they can make their own stuff, if they join they can get the US stuff, but as of now they have a very high poverty rate (44%), a lot of crime (6x the US murder rate), disease, et cetera. Conditions are hard in Puerto Rico, and frankly Congress simply doesn't care. They are just a impoverished Central American country attached to the US by law, and being in the US has stuff like trade, federal money, US law enforcement, representation, all that good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:04:27 pm by misko27 »
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 667