Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 67

Author Topic: Viva la Revolucion! Game Over, man, Game over!  (Read 127105 times)

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Re: Viva la Revolucion! Down with the Evil Empire! Game Begins! Week 1, Day 1
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2013, 03:25:57 pm »

I wrote this post yesterday, but then decided not to post it right away to see who, if anyone, worked it out on their own. It would have been reply #53 if I had posted it then.

Spoiler: Post Written Yesterday (click to show/hide)

I'm posting it as is because I realize I've been relying on that argument for some of the things I've said, but never posted them in the first place. I hope this clarifies some things.

What I think it says most is that there's a tradeoff between chance of success and usefulness in identifying spies.

Leafsnail is correct that a totally random team is bad because we can't infer anything from it about the organizer.

Spoiler: Tangent (click to show/hide)

I think this team ought to be rejected. Seeing what Tiruin comes up with will be worthwhile anyway.

I'd also like to point out that the organizer is the one who drafts the team, but doesn't have to be one to pick it. There's no reason we can't designate someone arbitrarily to pick the team, and force the organizer draft it. But I also think that's a really, really bad idea. I think that the way it puts the spotlight on the organizer is really valuable for scumhunting, and we should use that opportunity to put pressure on the organizer to choose a team and come up with good reasons for it. Since there's no lynching, trying to keep track of ten people at once in this setting is exhausting. I think the moving spotlight will really help to make sure no one lurks the game away.

PPE: Dariush, ToonyMan, Nerjin

ToonyMan:
There are multiple problems with your assertion that Nerjin is a spy and me and Dariush are spies by association.

First of all, spies want to be on teams with rebels, because they want to be associated with rebels, both to cast suspicion on them and to clear themselves.

Secondly, if his first proposal fails, then it's very likely the people he put up the first time will be excluded from any other teams that are assembled, which would greatly hurt the chances of getting a spy on the mission. I don't think Nerjin would take that kind of risk.

Because you don't know the name of your role?  I would have accepted some other rebel-sounding name (it's possible GG wrote up multiple names to shake the town up), but with that strike-through and the fact I highly doubt GG called you a 'Trustworthy Player' makes me doubt you extremely.
*stares in disbelief*

Given all the criticism of how Nerjin picked his team, I am curious about how his critics would pick teams. (And by the way, he did explain it. It's a bit buried, but it was essentially "because they're active. So if there's a sabotage, we have a chance to deduce who it was from their behavior").

Leafsnail: Who, other than yourself, would you most want to see go on this mission? Why?
NQT: If you had to organize a team of 3 right now, who would it be and why?
ToonyMan: If you couldn't choose yourself, what team of 3 would you like to see go on the mission, and why?
Toaster: Who would you pick for this team, and why?

Incidentally, I would pick players who are coming up soon in the turn order, so we can put them under the spotlight while the results of the last mission are still fresh in our mind. For this reason, sending the team leader is bad move, because the turn order would have to go all the way around again before he ends up in the spotlight.

Assuming Tiruin was organizing, my picks would be:
Deathsword,
Dariush,
Captain Ford

And yes, I want to be on the mission.

PPE: ZU, Nerjin

Oh my god. Would you please spoiler those quote pyramids already.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2013, 05:36:16 pm »

@Nerjin:
If you're not going to say you're a Freedom Fighter then that would make you a spy.  There is absolutely no other conclusion.  Why are you rejecting this idea??  My feeling is that you didn't actually know you're a Freedom Fighter, because you're not.

ToonyMan:
There are multiple problems with your assertion that Nerjin is a spy and me and Dariush are spies by association.
First of all, spies want to be on teams with rebels, because they want to be associated with rebels, both to cast suspicion on them and to clear themselves.
Secondly, if his first proposal fails, then it's very likely the people he put up the first time will be excluded from any other teams that are assembled, which would greatly hurt the chances of getting a spy on the mission. I don't think Nerjin would take that kind of risk.
Yeah I'll agree with you there, at the very least Nerjin is a spy.  And someone on his RNG team.

Because you don't know the name of your role?  I would have accepted some other rebel-sounding name (it's possible GG wrote up multiple names to shake the town up), but with that strike-through and the fact I highly doubt GG called you a 'Trustworthy Player' makes me doubt you extremely.
*stares in disbelief*
Is role-claiming such a baffling idea (in a game with no nights or power roles) to catch scum?  Don't you find it odd that Nerjin won't say he's a Freedom Fighter?

ToonyMan: If you couldn't choose yourself, what team of 3 would you like to see go on the mission, and why?
I'd replace myself with you, Captain Ford.  Toaster and Leafsnail would be the same reasons as before and I'd be interested in what happens, either it all goes well (even if you're a spy you just wasted your sabotage) or it fails and I'd have absolute proof one of you three is a spy.  I would of course be rooting for the former.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2013, 05:45:55 pm »

@Nerjin:
If you're not going to say you're a Freedom Fighter then that would make you a spy.  There is absolutely no other conclusion.  Why are you rejecting this idea??  My feeling is that you didn't actually know you're a Freedom Fighter, because you're not.

I'm a freedom fighter. Did that make me magically 100% rebel to you? Does it effect anything other than me saying "I'm a freedom fighter"? No? Well look at that, you've wasted everyone's time pursuing something that doesn't mean a damn thing.

ToonyMan:
Yeah I'll agree with you there, at the very least Nerjin is a spy.  And someone on his RNG team.

I'm not a spy, and I can proove it using your logic. "I am a freedom fighter." by your logic I am now a rebel. Either way I don't know if someone on that team is a spy. Like I've said, I don't really know who to send honestly and I don't like being in power.

*stares in disbelief*
Is role-claiming such a baffling idea (in a game with no nights or power roles) to catch scum?  Don't you find it odd that Nerjin won't say he's a Freedom Fighter?
... ... ... Does Dariush play a lot of games with you? If so I think I may have found out why he gets a little miffed at people.

Role-claiming doesn't mean a damn thing at this point in the game. It's a null-tell. A spy can just as easily say "I am a Freedom Fighter." why do you pursue this so doggedly?

I'd replace myself with you, Captain Ford.  Toaster and Leafsnail would be the same reasons as before and I'd be interested in what happens, either it all goes well (even if you're a spy you just wasted your sabotage) or it fails and I'd have absolute proof one of you three is a spy.  I would of course be rooting for the former.

"I'm going to just send a team with a suspected spy, who I suspect personally, and just assume that everything's gonna go to hell."

Sounds responsible, has my vote.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2013, 08:57:20 pm »

Oh wow this start...O_o

Err, sorry about absence, had to take care of a lot of IRL stuff in the past days.

PFP

Post coming soon...[So many quick posts...]

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2013, 12:11:04 pm »

I voted Yes (admittably, fairly knee-jerk) on the team for two reasons:  I'm on it and I don't have negative reads of Tiruin and Deathsword.  I can totally see the arguments for totally random teams being bad, especially since my read of Nerjin is plummeting scumward.

I checked back, and my reads of those two are null because they haven't posted jack.  Trying to change my vote now to No, because sending two unknowns won't help anything, plus that whole Nerjin bit.

Confirmed- yes, you can change your vote.  It's now a No vote.

Ford:  Myself, Dariush, and Toony.  I know I'm town, Dariush is likely town for thinking to check back on Nerjin's roll history, and Toony because he's an awesome Freedom Fighter.  In regards to self-nomination, any restriction on it should absolutely exclude the last two days, and maybe day 3 and even 2.  Today's really the only day it's something to consider, since the pool becomes so dangerous D5.

Dariush:  ...Derp.  That's what I get for posting when tired.

NQT:  What is your view of the new team?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2013, 12:49:01 pm »

-snip-
I checked back, and my reads of those two are null because they haven't posted jack.  Trying to change my vote now to No, because sending two unknowns won't help anything, plus that whole Nerjin bit.

Could you be a bit more specific what you mean by that bolded part?

Ford:  Myself, Dariush, and Toony.  I know I'm town, Dariush is likely town for thinking to check back on Nerjin's roll history, and Toony because he's an awesome Freedom Fighter.  In regards to self-nomination, any restriction on it should absolutely exclude the last two days, and maybe day 3 and even 2.  Today's really the only day it's something to consider, since the pool becomes so dangerous D5.

Blatent buddying is obvious. You're not even trying. Scum like circular logic. "He's a freedom fighter, because he's a freedom fighter." Be honest, he likes to waste peoples' time over meaningless things such as Flavor claiming. But if you're easily swayed by that sort of thing I'd like to point out:

@Nerjin:

I'm a freedom fighter.

Seriously... Next person to bring up this whole "Freedom Fighter" thing is going to recieve scathing words from me. Let's stop focusing on what equates to a grain of sand in a desert and instead focus on something more important shall we?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »

@Nerjin:
I'm a freedom fighter. Did that make me magically 100% rebel to you? Does it effect anything other than me saying "I'm a freedom fighter"? No? Well look at that, you've wasted everyone's time pursuing something that doesn't mean a damn thing.
Does it?  I think everybody can judge for themselves from how you're acted to that.

ToonyMan:
I'm not a spy, and I can prove it using your logic. "I am a freedom fighter." by your logic I am now a rebel. Either way I don't know if someone on that team is a spy. Like I've said, I don't really know who to send honestly and I don't like being in power.
Don't make it that simple, role-claiming is largely about delivery in this case and you needed quite a bit of prodding before admitting that yes, you're a rebel.  The fact you don't know who to send and don't like being in power either makes you passive town or a spy.

*stares in disbelief*
... ... ... Does Dariush play a lot of games with you? If so I think I may have found out why he gets a little miffed at people.
Role-claiming doesn't mean a damn thing at this point in the game. It's a null-tell. A spy can just as easily say "I am a Freedom Fighter." why do you pursue this so doggedly?
Hehe, I know it won't work anymore.  But I'm glad I was able to use it on you.  Obviously the spies can now claim Freedom Fighter pretty easily, but that was not the case when this started.  Not saying Freedom Fighter in that response was your biggest mistake and I was making a clear point.

"I'm going to just send a team with a suspected spy, who I suspect personally, and just assume that everything's gonna go to hell."
Says the spy.

Seriously... Next person to bring up this whole "Freedom Fighter" thing is going to recieve scathing words from me. Let's stop focusing on what equates to a grain of sand in a desert and instead focus on something more important shall we?
"Please ignore my huge scum error."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2013, 02:00:16 pm »

Nerjin:  Actually, your lack of knowledge of why Toony was going on about it is why you are scum.

"That Nerjin bit" means that you're scum and therefore I don't trust any team you propose by default.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2013, 02:15:55 pm »

Meh. I voted no solely on the basis that I don't agree with a random team going D1.

Nerjin:  Actually, your lack of knowledge of why Toony was going on about it is why you are scum.
"That Nerjin bit" means that you're scum and therefore I don't trust any team you propose by default.
Elaborate?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2013, 02:26:28 pm »

Toony, is your real name Gene Ray by any chance?

Toaster, why did you note that Nerjin gave us the first result he got, but didn't act on it in any way? Do you not consider that a sign of townness?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2013, 03:47:53 pm »

@Nerjin:
Does it?  I think everybody can judge for themselves from how you're acted to that.

I'm done with you. I tire of your semantics and your god damned annoying strawmanning!

ToonyMan:
I'm not a spy, and I can prove it using your logic. "I am a freedom fighter." by your logic I am now a rebel. Either way I don't know if someone on that team is a spy. Like I've said, I don't really know who to send honestly and I don't like being in power.
Don't make it that simple, role-claiming is largely about delivery in this case and you needed quite a bit of prodding before admitting that yes, you're a rebel.  The fact you don't know who to send and don't like being in power either makes you passive town or a spy.
I'm going to kill you with an axe. Role-claiming, as I have said means nothing. You can't Admit being a rebel because you WANT to be a rebel in this set up! You must convince people you are a rebel.

*stares in disbelief*
Hehe, I know it won't work anymore.  But I'm glad I was able to use it on you.  Obviously the spies can now claim Freedom Fighter pretty easily, but that was not the case when this started.  Not saying Freedom Fighter in that response was your biggest mistake and I was making a clear point.

THE BOLDED PART HAS NOT CHANGED!!! STOP BEING A POMPOUS ASS WHO THINKS HE'S A GENIUS AND BE HELPFUL!!!

Says the spy.

Your proof, aside from null-tells, being?

"Please ignore my huge scum error."

Which was? A null-tell?

Let me explain something to you. Lack of clarity on someone else's part does not make me scum. If he was being logical and precise about why he thinks I am scum I would be much less fucking pissed annoyed. Let me mince no words with you sir, if you try to build an vague argument atop another extremely vague argument you will have proven yourself spy. You are bandwagoning.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2013, 04:24:26 pm »

Nerjin:  The lack of clarity is why you are scum!  If you had recognized the phrase, Toony would have written you off as town.  Since you didn't, you're probably scum.  The depth you're going on about it makes it even more abundantly clear.

Let's put it this way- he claimed his role name as Freedom Fighter.  Since I have the same role name (and am town,) I am now fairly convinced of his town status.  You, being scum, have a different role name.  Since yours is not Freedom Fighter, that phrase is meaningless to you- which is why your failure to recognize/react to it is damning.

Also, bandwagon?  On what vote am I bandwagoning?

Toaster, why did you note that Nerjin gave us the first result he got, but didn't act on it in any way? Do you not consider that a sign of townness?

No.  For all we know he was intending to repeat until he got scum, but got lucky first try.  (Yes, I now think there is associative guilt on Tiruin and Deathsword.)  Choosing three random people gives a 5/6* chance of putting at least one scum on the random team, so it's hardly a point in his favor that he went with the first one.

I didn't act on it because it's not useful.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2013, 06:14:56 pm »

First off, I have some questions for the mod.

Glyphgryph:
1. How many times can we reject a team before a mission is failed? Is it 3 or 4 times?
2. If a spy wanted to know a rebel rolename, would you have told them one? Would you have sent them a role PM?

Toaster: How certain are you that there's only one role name for rebels?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2013, 06:52:30 pm »

I'll reread the thread. There probably won't be a post today (since it's 22:00 here), but I'll have something tomorrow.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:21 pm »

Ford
NQT: If you had to organize a team of 3 right now, who would it be and why?
Probably be: Toaster, ToonyMan and NQT. They don't seem as scummy as, say, Nerjin, and are active enough to be worth grilling if the mission fails. Picking myself is obvious, as it greatly reduces the chance of bringing a spy on the mission.

Dariush
NQT:  What is your view of the new team?
I don't have a strong read on DS and Tiruin yet, but Toaster seems okay. Not the most ideal, but good enough to get going with.

On that note:

ZU: Why don't you like random votes?

DS: Deathsword, me old buddy, me old pal. I'm not even going to bother questioning you because you must be a fellow freedom fighter...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tiruin: What would your strategy be if you were a spy?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 67