Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Astronautics: Alpha demo released!  (Read 10438 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Astronautics: A 2D Space Sim
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2013, 10:54:11 am »

Woohoo! Got a bit of actual gameplay going now. Once your hull goes into the black your ship is a goner. You'll get a nice flame effect for a couple of seconds followed by a nice big explosion. Tomorrow I'll do a little work on getting weapon efficiency down when the weapons become damaged and maybe add in a cooling unit that can be destroyed and thereby cause your weapons and engines to start overheating with use. After that I'll probably post another video.

Edit: Here's some pics for you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:06:29 am by Lemunde »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2013, 11:55:40 am »

Nifty!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2013, 11:59:22 am »

Do you still get to control the flaming wreckage?

Does the explosion do anything to nearby ships?

Do other ships explode?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2013, 12:34:33 pm »

Do you still get to control the flaming wreckage?

Does the explosion do anything to nearby ships?

Do other ships explode?

No, but this is easy to change if I decide it's better.

Not yet.

Yes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2013, 12:40:38 pm »

I think it would be better to change, so you could take an enemy ship with you.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2013, 01:04:53 pm »

I think it would be better to change, so you could take an enemy ship with you.

Yeah, I actually added code so you couldn't control your ship when it's dying. It could potentially allow for some exploits, like docking at a space station at the last second so you don't die. I'll have to play around with it to see how it works.

On an unrelated note, I've found that putting engines on the wings of your ship to steer has some drawbacks. They're usually the first things to go when the fighting starts. All of a sudden I find I can only turn left, then look at my damage display and see my left-most thruster way in the red.

I did manage to fend off all six of the attackers a couple of times. Even though they're faster and more maneuverable, if you turn at the right moment they'll overshoot you and you can catch them from behind.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2013, 01:42:33 pm »

Well, you could turn off docking at spacestations, obviously, and some other things. But making a blind suicide rush just when your ship is going to die is pretty awesome. Jam the throttle all the way up and get the fuck in the escape pods.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2013, 03:39:46 pm »

Well, you could turn off docking at spacestations, obviously, and some other things. But making a blind suicide rush just when your ship is going to die is pretty awesome. Jam the throttle all the way up and get the fuck in the escape pods.
Or cause the docking animation to take a few seconds or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2013, 11:41:35 am »

Been really busy the last couple of days with non-game-making related stuff so I haven't really gotten anything done. The netbook I've been developing/testing the game on was acting stupid so I had to reinstall Windows on it and between all the updates and installing Visual Studio and XNA... Oh yeah, this game will run on a netbook, BTW.

Focused on drawing some more ship parts today. Got the cooling unit done for when I finally implement it.

I'm also gutting the player inventory system, at least as far as ship parts go. My original idea was to have a sort of player storage hold on every space station to hold all of the ship parts you've collected, but the more I thought about it the less practical it sounded. I mean you could end up with dozens of ship parts spread out across several star systems and going to and from each one just to make modifications to your ship would get really tedious.

So I devised another solution. Instead of collecting ship parts you collect part schematics. Whenever you stop at a space station for modifications you can just pay to have the parts manufactured and automatically added to your ship. Each station will also have it's own inventory of parts you can purchase, giving some incentive to explore to find the station with the best parts. However stations will only carry base parts, meaning if you want a part that has some modifiers like lower mass, better heat resistance, less power usage, etc... you'll have to find a schematic for it.

I'm still deciding how exactly you'll be collecting schematics. I'm thinking something like disabling an enemy ship then doing some kind of thorough scan to see if it has any non-base parts on it and copying the schematics to your ship's computer. Guess I'll have to come up with some scanner parts too.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2013, 12:07:14 pm »

Possibly "quests" or using weapons/systems that don't blow up an enemy or hijack one with very low HP?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2013, 03:35:33 pm »

Oh yeah, this game will run on a netbook, BTW.
Excellent.
Sig

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »

Humph. I don't own a netbook- but I assume its not a netbook exclusive.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:50 pm »

Humph. I don't own a netbook- but I assume its not a netbook exclusive.
I doubt it as well. I'm not sure how you would do that.
Sig

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2013, 08:15:18 pm »

I assume things like .NET- which, if this is made using the latest .NET my laptop won't have anything to do with it :P

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:17 pm »

I assume things like .NET- which, if this is made using the latest .NET my laptop won't have anything to do with it :P

What are you running? Windows ME?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10