Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Astronautics: Alpha demo released!  (Read 10443 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Astronautics: A 2D Space Sim
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43:41 pm »

Added a planet. Gravity is working fine and the AI seems to be doing a decent job dealing with it without any modification. Here's a pic:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 12:47:15 pm »

That's one huge ship.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 12:49:23 pm »

That's one huge ship.
Prespective, bro.

Also: When can we pew pew?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 01:01:23 pm »

That's one huge ship.
Prespective, bro.

Prespective indeed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 10:35:02 pm »

That's one huge ship.
Prespective, bro.

I kinda want to have something close to a full demo before I release it. I still have a few more features and a bunch of tweaking to do before that happens. Plus I want to have at least 4 different components per type for the demo.

I might release an alpha build before then but even so I don't feel it's quite ready at this time.

Edit: Trying to think of what I need to work on for tomorrow. I'm trying to get at least one feature done per day. I need to come up with a list of everything that still needs to be done.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:36:23 pm by Lemunde »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 08:35:25 am »

Updated the OP with a list that has everything I need to finish before I can call the demo complete. The list isn't in any particular order. Obviously I'll have to finish some features before I'm able to work on others. There may be things I need to add to this list later too.

I estimate it will take me roughly a day to finish each one so that might give you some idea of how far off the demo is. Once the demo is complete I'll have all of the groundwork finished to start working on the full version. Then I can start thinking about additional features to extend the game well beyond what the demo has to offer.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 09:09:45 am »

22 things. Add 50% for unexpected additions due to intersections and ramblings, and make it a day for each. That's just over a month. Double the time to account for not working on it every day, unexpected problems, and real-life issues...this will probably be demo-ready by mid-April or so.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 09:40:52 am »

You mention parts being damaged through overheating.
Do you have plans to make this weaponizable?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 09:57:06 am »

Would be fairly easy. Either you pick of the enemy's heatsinks/ radiators, or you hit them with lasers/ engine exhaust.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2013, 10:19:41 am »

Would be fairly easy. Either you pick of the enemy's heatsinks/ radiators, or you hit them with lasers/ engine exhaust.

Indeed. Plasma based weapons would be ideal for this. Or if you're in a pinch just move closer to the sun and hope your cooling system is better than theirs.

I think the feature of heat spreading to other components may have to be put on hold for now. The physics of heat is more complicated than it first appears and I really don't want it holding up the demo. Later I may make engine exhaust affect the temperature of components directly in it's path but I won't take it much further than that.

And for the demo I won't be using heatsinks but individual cooling units that provide all the cooling for all components on the ship. Technically heatsinks are something that need to be applied directly to components anyway. I'll have to think on this some more. It sounds like I'm going to need to make another layer for internal components.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 10:24:17 am »

Depends, you could assume that each ship is equiped with an excellent heat redistribution system. (Or add a heat redistribution system).

Then you could dump the heatsinks anywhere you want.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2013, 11:00:17 am »

oh god this is something i always wanted to make/see myself.

Good luck man! Good fucking luck!
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2013, 11:07:03 am »

How would the heatsinks work?
(In physics terms, I mean.)
Would they concentrate waste heat in some sort of coolant and eject it, or would they radiate it, or what?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »

Would they concentrate waste heat in some sort of coolant and eject it, or would they radiate it, or what?

Typically heatsinks are designed to absorb heat from a connected component and radiate it away as efficiently as possible, typically through a large amount of exposed surface area.

In gameplay terms I would probably just have the heatsink directly raise the maximum temperature of the connected component. The heatsink would also share whatever heat value the connected component has. However I doubt there would ever be a circumstance where the heatsink would fail due to overheating before the connected component did. Hell, in order for it to fail it'd basically have to melt.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2013, 01:50:45 pm »

Typically heatsinks are designed to absorb heat from a connected component and radiate it away as efficiently as possible, typically through a large amount of exposed surface area.

In gameplay terms I would probably just have the heatsink directly raise the maximum temperature of the connected component. The heatsink would also share whatever heat value the connected component has. However I doubt there would ever be a circumstance where the heatsink would fail due to overheating before the connected component did. Hell, in order for it to fail it'd basically have to melt.
Would the radiated heat be able to affect other ships, or would it be too diffuse to be worth calculating?
(Although if it is diffuse, it might be fine to leave it in, just so players can try to overheat an enemy ship with their heat sinks.)
Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10