Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66824 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« Reply #840 on: July 12, 2014, 06:55:51 pm »

Russano nods slightly before resuming his walk towards the assassins. "Has this not dragged on long enough?" In his opinion, even escaping requires a measure of skill, and if you're still within your pursuers range and close enough to make them bother following you, then that's already a failure - and he wants something a bit more thrilling. Though his idea of thrilling is flexible enough that a chess game would probably be delightful as well.

His eyes narrow behind his mask and his brain starts to work on reproducing the same structure he had analyzed and recreated back at the palace. Tracing an area with your mind, defining its exact point in the fabric of time and space and then begin to twist it to your will - deciding to try and disable their most problematic member, the diplomat tries to impinge upon him the one time-related power the mage doesn't seem to have any experience with, the time bubble.

Try to create a time bubble around the Yellow Mage.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 13, 2014, 05:43:02 am »

"No nothing... it like he's armor is... just plain armor. Just like there's nothing to sense in the building... I wonder what else is like that..." Ryan answers... and then wonders out loud slightly toward the end. He decides to try sensing for electronics and technology throughout the city... considering he could use his powers on a moving spaceship at least thousands of miles away, a whole city should be within his sensing scope.

Search for working technology throughout the whole city. Tell the two professors what I found out.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 13, 2014, 07:46:09 pm »

"Or maybe i just needed a burst of adrenaline to heal and my enchanting skills just suck." says kenjaro with a sigh.

Find a secluded corner and try to decipher my ball'o'hurt some more.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 13, 2014, 10:55:27 pm »

As the fury dissipates, Dominic moves to a sitting position whilst cradling his abused neck.

Oh, my neck. Those cursed beasts seem to have fled.

He then takes in the surrounding destruction, unknowingly caused by him. He notices his ally Russano walking towards 4 figures, who presently appear to be running from him.

Oh, Russano is present. I wonder where he came from. Regardless, I feel far too weak to assist him. I best watch him from a safe distance.

Watch the unfolding conflict from a distance. Rest while eating more popcorn to regain strength.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 14, 2014, 12:21:34 am »

Roll 89

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

superBlast, AKA Ryan

[2+1] Unfortunately for everyone, the entire city seems to be affected by this mess. You wonder if it was really you that caused all this...

[5+1] Either by sheer luck, or intentional exclusion, the hospitals are left running. Interesting how your mind just snapped to those points after you got a general sense of what was going on in the city.

New Ability: Techno-Sense

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

Since the city is rather quiet, what with all the car alarms not going off as they normally do in such chaos, you head to an alcove underneath some walkways to be free from the occasional ambulance noise, and proceed to study.

[2+1] You ball'o'hurt isn't a failed enchantment, per se, it just didn't turn out the way you wanted to. It definitely has potential, but thinking about the last few encounters you've recently had, you've come to the conclusion that Life... and Death are interrelated. That's an obvious concept, but you can apply it on a different set of scales as well.

Your powers do not work very well under normal conditions. However, when you are injured, your body quickly acts to neutralize that injury. You thrive off of a disequilibrium. But after a time, everything settles before all of your problems are solved, because your body adapts and lacks the motivation to continue. It is only in a state of dynamic combat where injures come and go where you can thrive. And as such, it would greatly help to simulate combat in all situations... your ball-o'hurt has shown that you can definitely concentrate pain in certain spots. Perhaps by taking advantage of momentary fluctuations, you can focus tiny 'injuries' such as cell regrowth into bigger ones with a greater effect, activating your powers. Sort of like Maxwell's demon.

New Ability: Life Tap

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

You focus on creating a bubble of stopped time and trapping the yellow mage inside of it. However, this would require only the utmost concentration... hopefully that silencer mage hasn't noticed your presence...

Overload (interrupt)

Of course they had to.
[6] You form a time bubble around yourself, and mirror it to the yellow mage's position. There is something strange that you notice right away: you aren't stopped in time, and can still think or move around. However, you seem to be surrounded by a black and endless void. The only other person inside this abyss is the yellow mage, who is standing directly in front of you.

"Greetings, Russano. This is actually a perfect way for me to talk to you. I have something very important to tell you about the messenger. Our actions were not malicious in intent. You just need to listen..."

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

You feel something sizzling in your pockets. In fact, a great deal of heatstroke seems to have come upon you. Reaching inside, you find some of the popcorn you had stored about a week ago in Lokhis. Some of the kernels had remained unpopped--until now.

Pleased that nothing is attacking you thus far, you consume the remainder of the popcorn. Can't go fighting on an empty stomach!
[5]

New Trait: Interim Recovery

You notice some Royal-Guard-looking fellows in the distance. Additionally, you spot a party of adventurers wearing colored cloaks. There is a large silver bubble in the midst of each group.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 14, 2014, 02:10:33 pm »

Russano interrupts the man, apparently not pleased with how the runaway mage is acting. "Murdering messengers and only resorting to dialog when you are being pursued is a remarkable way to show how pure your intentions were, gent. I still have not forgotten your condescending tone when you tried to contact me before I cut off the connection either." he says, raising an accusing finger as he talks.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 14, 2014, 02:16:59 pm »

Russano interrupts the man, apparently not pleased with how the runaway mage is acting. "Murdering messengers and only resorting to dialog when you are being pursued is a remarkable way to show how pure your intentions were, gent. I still have not forgotten your condescending tone when you tried to contact me before I cut off the connection either." he says, raising an accusing finger as he talks.

Your opponent's wrinkled face shows no response to your accusatory remarks.

"Russano, our party has been here longer than you have been able to read and write. You had no idea what was lurking inside those messenger's bodies. Not people. But your people never listen to us, they only cast judgement, as you have. We have tried many times--and even died--all in the name of keeping the peace. Yet throughout all this, our good deeds have always gone unnoticed."

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 14, 2014, 02:44:06 pm »

"Looks like the whole city has been affected... except weirdly the hospitals..." Ryan tells the two what's going on. "I thought just here had everything fried... I didn't expect the city to be like this."

Ryan started to really feel like he might've caused this... or it a hell of a coincidence that nearly every electronic in the city broke when he was thinking of shutting down the power no matter what... and the destruction that would've happened because of him... he didn't want to think about it... so he didn't... just focused on now.

"What do we do now?" Ryan asked Geronimo.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 14, 2014, 03:17:04 pm »

((I suppose I don't I get a point towards successful casts due to the whole Overload shenanigan.))

"That is still no excuse for what you have done. Let me expound on what my knowledge of you is composed from so far: I receive information that assassins have attacked people I am acquainted with and killed brainwashed messengers. The messenger I am trying to extract information from suffers an attack by said threat and your group causes chaos around the city. You escape and talk smugly to me." the diplomat bends slightly at the waist in a rather sarcastic bow. "My deepest apologies if I was misled by your rather generous and obviously benevolent actions."

Russano straightens up and stares with obvious suspicion at the man in front of him. "I hardly doubt trying to contact me and testing the waters before acting like criminals would have caused you any major inconvenience. Now that you have decided to be civilized, albeit late, I have to say, do tell me what you have to."

Check the current location's properties to know whether it's possible to adjust them in order to restrain the annoying guest.
>Yes?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 14, 2014, 05:44:45 pm »

"Looks like the whole city has been affected... except weirdly the hospitals..." Ryan tells the two what's going on. "I thought just here had everything fried... I didn't expect the city to be like this."

Ryan started to really feel like he might've caused this... or it a hell of a coincidence that nearly every electronic in the city broke when he was thinking of shutting down the power no matter what... and the destruction that would've happened because of him... he didn't want to think about it... so he didn't... just focused on now.

"What do we do now?" Ryan asked Geronimo.

Geronimo glances at the destruction.
"We walk. Or at least I have to. My duty would be to help carry people to safety, but I can't do it while weighed down in useless armor. I will be heading to the palace, and you are free to come. Valenkin," he turns to the professor, who was silently staring off into the sky.
"If you wish, you may take refuge with us in the palace. Your skills would be useful in rebuilding much of our systems."
After a pause, Valenkin nods.

((I suppose I don't I get a point towards successful casts due to the whole Overload shenanigan.))

"That is still no excuse for what you have done. Let me expound on what my knowledge of you is composed from so far: I receive information that assassins have attacked people I am acquainted with and killed brainwashed messengers. The messenger I am trying to extract information from suffers an attack by said threat and your group causes chaos around the city. You escape and talk smugly to me." the diplomat bends slightly at the waist in a rather sarcastic bow. "My deepest apologies if I was misled by your rather generous and obviously benevolent actions."

Russano straightens up and stares with obvious suspicion at the man in front of him. "I hardly doubt trying to contact me and testing the waters before acting like criminals would have caused you any major inconvenience. Now that you have decided to be civilized, albeit late, I have to say, do tell me what you have to."

Check the current location's properties to know whether it's possible to adjust them in order to restrain the annoying guest.

"Do we not have the right to defend ourselves like any other human being? Regardless, both you and I know that repairing the trouble caused is a mere trifle. Perhaps you haven't fully explored your own capabilities yet, but physical damage is nothing that cannot be reversed. You will notice that we have not killed anyone during our efforts, other than the messengers we reached. If you do not believe me, you will be surprised soon enough. We are not amateurs.
But first, before I suggest anything, I must tell you what truly happened to the messengers:

We are, at least publicly known, as the Shadow Fellowship. We take the guise of terrorists and assassins, but in actuality, we are more like... detectives. All four of us have nothing to lose, you see, so we have devoted ourselves to unveiling the mysteries of our past.

Your expedition was heading into uncharted territory. Naturally, we follow the efforts of the Queen's expeditionary forces. In fact, all of us but Black, are native Aldrosians. As a group, we normally follow expeditions, stowed away on the ship, on the off-chance that somewhere we will discover clues leading us to find answers. And answers we found--along with a threat unlike any humanity has discovered yet. Our precursors fled their world,"

His voice becomes more tense.

"...Something made them flee. As the expedition discovered, the world of Origin was covered in ruins, despite being perfectly habitable. It wasn't devoid of life--its ecosystem was thriving. The only sentient beings left, however, were arcane guardians, bound to shards of the planet's native Obsidian, left behind presumably to warn us. And warn us they did--but it was too late. There was another human force already inside the system. They called themselves the Central Navy, sent from Terra to rediscover its colonies. There is something about Terra, and the Sol system that you yourselves know. It is cut off from the wormhole network, and any ship that goes there must spend years travelling and expending fuel just to get there, let alone return. That fact has kept us from understanding what has happened to Sol since the first colony ships launched. But somehow, the Central Navy found Origin first, and as we found out, they lacked experience with psionics."

He goes on and explains further.

"The CN encountered a prison world on a dwarf planet far from the four primary stars of Arcas, circling the tiny star Arcas Epsilon. This world was where the people of Origin sent their dangerous psionic individuals--immortals, reality-warpers, psychopaths, and basically anyone who had the potential to destroy the planet if left uncontained. Here they left psionically-animated beings, which we have dubbed ourselves 'Arcanids,' to act as wardens, maintaining a protective barrier around the dwarf planet, keeping everything inside within a space not unlike this time bubble, although the bubble was much stronger, maintained by the collective focus of the Arcanids. The Arcanids, needing neither sleep nor rest, no food no water, or even air, were perfectly capable of keeping the inhabitants of the world locked away forever. That is, until first contact with the CN turned out badly, and resulted in the barrier being broken, and most of the Arcanids protecting it slaughtered.

The remaining Arcanids communicated with their society on Origin, who, during first contact, informed the expedition--and warned everyone to stay away from CN vessels as there could be terrible, terrible things locked away inside that planet. As it turns out, the CN ship in the system had detected your expedition as soon as we entered the system, and boarded it as soon as they could. They brought with them some sort of psionic plague--one that feeds off the mind, and spreads through ideas--and infected everyone on the ship with it, except for our fellowship, which remained undetected. Before we could figure out what was happening, they started sending back the courier ships, and that was when we knew we had to act quickly.

We were forced to infiltrate both ships and destroy them, which we had no qualms with as everyone on them was already infected. Before we sent your expeditionary vessel into one of Arcas' suns, we made ourselves known to the ground-side camp, assured them that we would be back, and launched the last courier ship, along with an infected messenger whom we slew and made it appear as if his body had died due to an accident."

He pauses after the long exposition, and then reaches his conclusion:

"So there you see, Russano. We came to stop any chance of the infection spreading. Fortunately for us, and humanity as we know it, the bodies of the messengers did not last long. They were reduced to babbling idiots from a combination of the infection and their isolation, making them unable to communicate properly and thus unable to spread the infection. But we watched first-hand what happens when the infection gets loose. Every non-psionic person is torn from their selves, their bodies then linked to part of a hivemind that communicates at superluminal speeds and gets only more intelligent with more people. It was absolutely imperative for us to stop the messengers before the chance of transmission became too great."

((Whoops, I didn't realize I had written this much. TL DR: The assassins are part of a group that spies on your expeditions. The Queen's latest expedition uncovered a psionic plague that is transmitted by communication and turns non-psions into a hivemind. They are killing the messengers because they are infected.))
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:50:36 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 14, 2014, 06:48:20 pm »

"I'll come and help... I'd rather not sit around if I could be doing something to help..." Ryan get's ready to go with Geronimo before an idea hits him. "Ah... we might not have to walk though... if my idea works..."

Find a vehicle of some sort and try to see if my UPGRADE!!! ability will work on technology even if they are broken and I can't access them as I normally do. A goal for the upgrade would be to simply get in running again.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:51:57 pm by superBlast »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 14, 2014, 09:38:27 pm »

cast life tap, attempt to attach my broken dagger to my soul ready for enchanting.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 15, 2014, 01:45:08 pm »

Russano rubs his chin and sighs, still suspicious and a little more than miffed at the assassins' behavior. "If what you are saying is true, did you bother registering or recording your trip in any way, psionic or otherwise?" he asks, staring at the old man. "I will appreciate if your assassination attempt did not cause any casualties around the city, but either you have solid proof of your claims or it is far easier for me to believe you have spun a fantastic story to hide your true motive to kill the messengers."
>Yes?

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 15, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »

"Wait, wasn't Russano walking towards the colored people? Who are they even? I should ask the royal guard, they might be able to inform me.."

Walk to the guards and ask them about their mission and the adventurers.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 15, 2014, 03:55:48 pm »

Roll 90

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

[5+1] The space around you is not closed. However, some observation reveals that you can see images of yourself in the distance, mimicking your motions, and likewise the yellow mage's image doing the same. This seems to imply that the space is a four dimensional sphere, wrapping around itself multiple times and keeping whatever is inside permanently trapped until affected by the outside. At least, you realize, this is the interaction with psionic victims of a Time Bubble. You try to twist and distort the space, becoming used to working in four dimensions, and before the conversation finishes you already open a slight gap in the bubble, leading to the outside world. Air starts hissing in through the pinhead-sized hole, as does sunlight.

"Erm, we normally have ways of convincing people of the veracity of our claims by ways other than evidence..."

The mage, having stumbled, takes some time to contemplate a response.

"I believe the only way to prove this to you would be to bring you to the Arcas system. You may have to organize a second expedition... but since you do not trust us, I do not think you would be excited to bring us onboard as well. But in the meantime, we can show you our camp inside the courier ship. We were forced to wipe out any visual and audio records of the incidents because the infection spreads through any means of contact as long as its source is alive, so we have none of those to show you.

Now, if we can find a way out of this bubble, I shall undo the damage dealt to the city, although it will take some time to retrace my steps."

New Miniquest: Wormholes

superBlast, AKA Ryan

[5] You spot a crash in the distance, so you move closer to investigate. The driver appears miraculously unharmed, but the car itself is totaled. Waiting in the bushes, you hold your position until the man leaves the side of the crash, his phone unresponsive and with no police in sight. Then, you move out and UPGRADE!!! the car [6] into some sort of hover-bike, without wheels, and powered by a high-voltage plasma battery. The keys appear in your hand.

UPGRADE!!! ---> UPGRADE!!!!

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

[3+2] You bind the dagger to your soul for enchanting. It is now a part of you, like... an extra tooth.

You cast life tap on yourself, [Injury Type: 6+2] breaking every bone in your body! Fortunately, you feel your powers healing the injury as soon as it begins. At this rate, it will be over very soon. You feel some sort of power building up inside of you.

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

You walk up to the Aldrosian party, not minding the adventurers investigating their bubble and observing your group from afar.
One of the knights from the spaceport seems to be here, as well as Perfectio. The knight, whose name is Jo (you remember all names, no matter how little attention you paid to them in the beginning!), asks you a very strange question:
"Excuse me sir, but what exactly were you doing out there?"

Strange. It seems that something has indeed happened, as the land around you is now covered in small, glistening metal shards. Picking one up, it feels almost alive in your hand... shaking of its own accord.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:51:15 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 75