Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36

Author Topic: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry  (Read 71234 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2013, 01:25:40 pm »

I think the biggest issue is unfair manipulation of the thought process through false reviews, those lying and vague trailers etc which is all to common in the game industry.
Bought and false reviews are a problem, but I think the real solution to that is to just boycott the people putting out those reviews and for truly concerned gamers to get together and start making more honest and critical reviews themselves.
Or watch Zero Punctuation. He finds flaws in every game, so you can tell whether or not the flaws put you off it :P

Except Portal!

Anyway... kinda late to this thread.  So much I want to say.  Where to begin...

I think there are some points that haven't been spotlighted enough.

The "voting with your wallet" thing isn't as simple as it's made out to be.  If you're a gamer, you probably have gamer friends.  If you have gamer friends, they probably pressure you to join them in the games that they play.  If you refuse to ever compromise with them, you're probably kind of a dick.  Chances are you're going to cave in and spend some time playing shitty games.  I absolutely hate League of Legends.  Seriously, that game pisses me off so much... but the majority of my gamer friends, including my own wife, play it every single night.  I would consider myself a horrible friend/husband if I never joined in.  Somebody mentioned much earlier in the thread that they're frustrated how most games seem imbalanced towards multiplayer focus anymore.  This is why!  They're very aware of the effect of social pressures.  After a while, my frustration builds up and I'm going to feel like raging about the gaming industry.

Now... it's kind of a complex issue.  The business side of things isn't completely to blame.  Neither are the consumers.  It's a self-perpetuating and amplifying cycle between the two.

Business wants maximum profit.  So they want the broadest appeal possible.  It's greed and whatever nasty things you say about it will be true, but here's the other side.  Social gamers want games with broad appeal too, because it's the most frictionless social environment.  If every game were niche marketed, it would be really difficult to maintain a consistent group of friends that you play games with.  You would rarely agree on consecutive games to compromise on.  So the natural product of this social phenomenon is mediocre games.  If you really like something and think it's amazing, it's because it appeals specifically to your interests.  Unless your interests align directly with the majority of the population, this means very few things that you really like will ever be mainstream.  This goes for just about everyone.

So I think a large part of the trends we're seeing today are a simple sociological effect.  It operates in direct alliance with the corporate pursuit of profit, but I think it would also be a thing in the absence of that pursuit.  People would want to play games together with their friends, which means they'd have to find that middle ground compromise, which means we'd still get a lot of games that most people don't really care for but are still willing to play.  And then after spending some time with their friends, they'd go off and play their niche interest stuff, just like me and all my gaming friends do after a little LoL.

And let's not forget the pressure to be well-versed in your own culture.  Games, movies, and music are culture.  If you don't participate, you alienate yourself.  Not sharing the same experiences as people around you effects your ability to relate to them.  I don't play the majority of modern mainstream AAA titles or see a lot of movies, so I'm regularly left out of much of the socialization around me.  A lot of the fun of Skyrim for me has been inclusion in all the meme humor and player talk.  So social pressures aren't just for multiplayer games.

There is also the feedback system between marketing and culture.  Publishers identify their cash cows (as determined by the above dynamics) and market those games most aggressively, because they depend the most on them to make profit.  That marketing puts those games into the focus of cultural consciousness.  Prolonged presence of these industry trends as a cultural focus results in normalization.  Normalization gradually weakens resistance.  The argument that younger gamers don't know any better is legitimate, because they're more likely to accept something that has been marketed to them as the norm for as long as they've known.  I feel the industry deserves a little more blame for this one, but still not all of it.  It is sort of a natural progression, but it is one driven by profit more than sociology.

So I think it's wrong to say that stuff is popular just because a lot of people like it.  There are other forces at work.  A person cannot simply choose to avoid the culture that is all around them.  You can choose not to play a game, but you can't choose to have friends, family, classmates, co-workers, etc who don't.  Many will participate simply to be involved.  This stuff even has an official economics term:  The Network Effect, and it's very strong.  Once an economic force has the network effect on its side, it's incredibly difficult to break its dominance, even when alternatives step forward that are obviously superior.  It requires that everybody abandon that thing all at once.  We saw this fairly recently with Google+ challenging Facebook.  Most of my friends preferred it, made accounts, and used it primarily for a decent period of time.  But they still checked Facebook regularly to keep up with people who hadn't switched.  Over time people got worn out on monitoring two social networks.  Now only a couple of my friends still use G+ at all.  I saw the exact same thing with League of Legends.  I have at two different points got the majority of my social circle to switch over to different games as the primary group activity, but everybody still knew people who played LoL and went back now and then to play with them once in a while.  Over time, the network effect reeled everyone back in.  Not because everybody prefers the game.  Far fucking from it.  It simply is The Commons, and it's very difficult to change that. 

There is a lot of stuff that I do think operates on bad faith and is worth complaining about, and this stuff does come down to intellectual property and excessive profit maximization issues.

The console thing is horrible.  Why do consoles exist at this point?  I can tell you why they did at one time.  Most people didn't have a home computer, weren't familiar enough with them to bother, consoles were cheaper, and internet wasn't a major draw.  Now every one of those circumstances has completely flipped.  Why do they exist now?  They're not even notably different from PCs anymore!  The last two console generations have not been able to claim any strengths in comparison to PCs, only limitations.  They don't even have different games.  I think the only reason they exist is for the sake of a platform that can be controlled exclusively by the major publishers.  Nintendo's consoles are the only exception.  They at least try to offer a unique experience.

Now everything is skewed towards console support and the entire industry is suffering for it, when consoles should have evolved or died by now.  Majority of titles from major publishers are designed for consoles first and badly ported to PC.  The design principles guiding console development are bleeding out beyond their acceptable range.  It is greatly stifling progression of the art form.  They're doing this because publishers want people using consoles.  They want you where they have the most control over you.

And it is about control.  There's no doubt in my mind about that.  Publishers are one of the most vicious lobbies in the world right now, and they routinely ruin people's lives in their quest for control over what content everyone is allowed to consume.  It's the same with piracy.  They're not shutting down file sharing services because they think it's losing them profits.  It's quite plain that all their arguments on that basis are supported by bold-faced lies.  They have all the numbers that show all their claims on the issue to be completely false, but they never acknowledge the existence of those numbers when on the issue of piracy. 

The reason they're so aggressive on piracy is to shut down competition.  The same channels used to distribute pirated content are used to distribute amateur/indie content.  This is not the case as much for games anymore, but that's only changed relatively recently.  It's still very much the case for other media.  Publishers are deathly afraid of going obsolete.  They've lost their monopoly on quality content creation tools, and they can't stop people from using the internet to do their own marketing.  The thing they can attack is what mass distribution channels they don't control.  That's how they're maintaining their relevance.  I believe piracy is a legitimate means of protest against that behavior.  Publishers have shut down progress by getting it labelled as piracy, and so piracy has simply become the act of carrying on with progress anyway.

That's not to say that I don't think artists/developers should be rewarded for their work, but that's getting into the whole matter of our economic structure being horribly out of date.  This whole conversation can be summed up as "Economic pressures are enforcing stagnation, when they're supposed to encourage innovation."  It is very important that we do avoid giving out money were it's undeserved, and support people doing honest work.

I'd also like to say that the research argument isn't completely sound.  Most games don't have decent demos these days.  Many don't have demos at all, and there have been many game demos noted as being completely unrepresentative of the final product.  You can't rely completely on word of mouth, either.  Fallout 3 is an example there.  I waited quite a while before buying it.  Everyone I knew liked it.  I'm still the only person I know who didn't like it.  I watched gameplay videos and everything.  It looked amazing.  I bought it and tried really, really hard to like it.  I did like it at first.  But it was after 10-15 hours that the blandness of the environment began to sink in... and the clumsiness of the fps controls... and the horrible imbalance of the VATS system... and I finally had to admit to myself that I was really fucking bored with it.  Things that I could only learn about the game through experiencing it myself.  I felt robbed.  Then Skyrim came out and received much the same hype.  After being burned by Oblivion (not as much) and Fallout 3, I decided to pirate Skyrim to see if it would be worth it this time.  I actually liked it, and ended up buying it a few months later.  If I hadn't pirated it first, I simply wouldn't have bought it.

Then there's the fact that games have lifespans.  Buying into a multiplayer game that's two years old is a completely different experience from buying into it on day 1.  Being in a game with a bunch of other people who are all experiencing it for the very first time is a huge thrill, and it really sucks to pass on that because you're afraid all the hype leading up to that launch day might be based on deception.

Psychologically abusive game design is another legitimate gripe.  MMOs have hit on a formula that is chemically addicting.  Not only that, but they have a very strong network effect.  I watched my brother ruin a good relationship because of a deep WoW addiction.  At least with gambling, people have a pretty good idea of what they're getting into.  MMOs seem like just a harmless social game experience... until 5000 hours later when you look back and realize what just happened to your life.  And you weren't even having fun most of the time.  Just doing mindless repetitive activities as if they were your job.  This is another subject where it's not just a matter of people voting with their dollars, or else there wouldn't be fucking rehabilitation clinics dedicated to recovering from the things.

MMOs are a subject that really pisses me off, actually.  Grind mechanics are fucking horrible.  Not just because of the addiction, but because they basically turn into a required time investment before you can even play the game.  The real game in an MMO is always at the max level.  That's where the social action is.  You can't play the game as it's meant to be played until you put in however many hundred hours to get there.  It's incredibly stupid.

The thing that bothers me about it the most is MMOs were the promised land.  I was so incredibly enamoured back in the days of Ultima Online (which I couldn't run on my hardware or afford a subscription) with the idea of playing a game with thousands of other people, where the world would be driven by the interactions of the players.  Where content would organically generate itself and the game world would be like a real living thing.  Then came Everquest and then WoW, and to some extent Diablo II.  Publishers recognized the addictive qualities of that game design approach and the massive profits to be had by abusing consumers.  So the promised land fell from all our hopes and dreams.

Ugh... I'm going to stop myself here.  This is already the biggest wall of text I've written in a long time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2013, 01:47:37 pm »

Welp, I hereby declare SalmonGod to be the winner of the thread.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2013, 01:52:21 pm »

tl;dr

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2013, 02:03:16 pm »

MMOs are a subject that really pisses me off, actually.  Grind mechanics are fucking horrible.  Not just because of the addiction, but because they basically turn into a required time investment before you can even play the game.  The real game in an MMO is always at the max level.  That's where the social action is.  You can't play the game as it's meant to be played until you put in however many hundred hours to get there.  It's incredibly stupid.

The same thing that makes MMOs and games like Diablo so chemically addicting isn't inherently a bad thing. I see the name "Skinner" thrown around a lot, especially on Rock Paper Shotgun, but if I want to waste five hours on a video game, I want it to feel like delicious chocolate dopamine in my mouth.

You can't generalize games with grinding. The important question to ask is not, "is this game grindy?" The important question is, "how long will I find the grind fun?"

I love the Tales series. They have the same JRPG grind you see in final fantasy but in the form of a strategic fighting game. For some reason, the interactivity minimizes the amount of time spent waiting with dead eyes to get to the "fun part." MMOs miss out on a lot of this by tightening the grind's grip on addictive consumers' wallets and stripping away the fun of making numbers go up. Stripping away the fun outside of making numbers go up too, usually. That's what's poisonous about a large portion of the MMO market right now.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2013, 02:08:08 pm »

The thing about the grind that I was trying to get at with the "promised land" bit is they strip all the benefits of being multiplayer out of the game.  They turn into single-player games where you just happen to see a lot of other people around.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2013, 02:10:11 pm »

Oh, yeah, I see your point about that more clearly now. Definitely in full agreement with that. In some games it's less blatant than others, I think. WoW, for example, can be great for a gaming group to spend quality time, but other games minimize the possibility for meaningful player interaction in general.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2013, 02:16:34 pm »

Length Justified ; Did Read.

Welp, I hereby declare SalmonGod to be the winner of the thread.

+1 internet to salmongod.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2013, 02:19:53 pm »

The thing about the grind that I was trying to get at with the "promised land" bit is they strip all the benefits of being multiplayer out of the game.  They turn into single-player games where you just happen to see a lot of other people around.

Oh, yes, this. This is actually why I like League of Legends. For me, it seems to cut out the horrible singleplayer grind out of the game, although there still is a bit of grinding involved, while being a bit more user-friendly than DotA 2/HoN. They are trying to prune out the bad aspects of the MOBA social world as well. Not to mention that it really is more fun when it's played with friends.

This is also why I really like Monster Hunter as well, although, again, a bit of grinding is involved. It avoids most of the unfun grinding when you start out in MMOs. A pity that it's not very popular in the Western market, and personally, I think that CAPCOM's doing a shitty job of managing the franchise, especially in regards to the Western market, where games like Shadow of the Colossus, Dragon's Dogma, and Dark Souls have obviously succeeded, if I'm not mistaken.
Also often called Boowells.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2013, 02:22:30 pm »

About the "no flaws in Portal thing".

Portal is too short. c:

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2013, 02:23:00 pm »

I used to play a 'Free' to Play Browser Based MMO. *shudder*

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2013, 02:32:12 pm »

Portal is too short. c:
One could view it as not overstaying its welcome. There was only so many variations of the "Fall from really high, then make a portal somewhere else and go flying out of it" puzzle they could do before it got stale.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2013, 03:07:43 pm »

I honestly believe that piracy is more of a convenience issue that anything else.  Here is an interesting article about how steam approached the Russian market, which was rife with piracy.

I really do think there would be less piracy if there was less DRM, and if it was easier for people to get the game they wanted.

This wasn’t Valve’s approach, though – it offered the carrot instead of the crowbar. “The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work,” Newell said. “It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”
Hey at least one guy is wise.

More companies need to act like steam. Don't go against the grain, go with it. Else all you get is a lot of frustration.
Valve and steam aren't that good either. Have you ever decided to waste your time reading that contract you sign when you start using steam? Well I did.The games aren't even yours, even after you paid for them.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2013, 03:13:49 pm »

Yeah, it's DRM, yadda yadda. Have you ever had problems with steam denying you acces to all your games? Hell, most games you seem to buy on disks these days seem to be DRM. DRM is certainly a con, but the pros outweigh it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2013, 04:16:59 pm »

Portal is too short. c:
One could view it as not overstaying its welcome. There was only so many variations of the "Fall from really high, then make a portal somewhere else and go flying out of it" puzzle they could do before it got stale.

Yeah, Portal is too short in the sense "I want this game to never end" rather than the "This game should never end."

And it's a sign of the times when Steam is "good DRM." I remember when it first came out, and people were pissed about having to have this other program connected to the internet in order to play their games. Steam's gotten better than it was, and it certainly has its upsides in terms of convenience and community, but it doesn't change the fact that when the people currently in charge of Valve move on or die, the whole company could well go One Winged Angel and take all my games away if I don't throw them more money.

Is it likely? No, certainly not in anything approaching the near future. But it's possible, and I don't like it.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2013, 06:12:12 pm »

Have you ever had problems with steam denying you acces to all your games?
Actually yes. That's what made me read that goddamn contract in first place. And I don't acess my steam account in like 8 months, because of that event. I mostly pirated games, and after I had problems with steam I now ONLY play pirated games.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36