Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36

Author Topic: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry  (Read 71249 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2013, 08:20:53 pm »

If the increase in sales came from people genuinely wanting these things (although I doubt that's the case with DRM since it offers the consumer nothing) I do not see a problem. They are just putting a product on the shelf for people to buy if they so wish. In a fair market enviroment, the COD MW100 would sell because people genuinely want it. I think the biggest issue is unfair manipulation of the thought process through false reviews, those lying and vague trailers etc which is all to common in the game industry. It is more common than the movie/book industry, where finding a negative review of a blockbuster just after release is not very hard.

That's the reason why I never preorder anything and I always wait to check people's opinions (not reviewer's) and REAL gameplay videos (that is, videos recorder by people playing it, not the devs or reviewers) before I buy any games. I think everybody knows not to trust gameplay videos coming from the devs itself and trailers don't tell anything about the game anyway.

Also, most big company devs love to lie (mostly because executive meddling kills their ideas, but still), so I tend not to really listen to them. I avoid overhyping and that's probably why I enjoyed Spore. Man, that was actually a good game. If you didn't hear anything about it before and bought it just because the cover looked cool and the price was %95 cut, the game would make it to your top 10 games of the year list. The seller said the disk was "legitimate enough not to be corrupted or have viruses or anything but you'll need a crack" so I'm sure nothing wrong with that guy.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #196 on: January 24, 2013, 08:41:50 pm »

This statement doesn't make any sense. There is no reason for him to be in the OC just because they intend to charge more for him. DLC are usually downloaded. That's why it's called Downloadable Content. It isn't hidden among the content you already paid for.
By "on the disc" I mean "exist at all" since the disc was its medium of existence. Anyway, I think the main reason developers include content with the disc and then unlock it through DLC is to also unlock that content with the collector's editions, since collector's editions use the same printing of the game. And like I said, I think that character was actually in the standard game, and the DLC only allowed him to be recruited into your party.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:25 pm »

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but thought I should dispel that false belief. That prothean character does not exist (in the game world) unless you buy the DLC. I played through the game without any of the DLC, except for the free stuff (e.g. the extended ending, and such).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2013, 10:55:49 pm »

But do you think that content would have been on the disc if they hadn't intended to charge extra for it?

This statement doesn't make any sense. There is no reason for him to be in the OC just because they intend to charge more for him. DLC are usually downloaded. That's why it's called Downloadable Content. It isn't hidden among the content you already paid for.

Except when it is, but it usually isn't.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2013, 01:29:10 am »

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but thought I should dispel that false belief. That prothean character does not exist (in the game world) unless you buy the DLC. I played through the game without any of the DLC, except for the free stuff (e.g. the extended ending, and such).
Ok, I actually looked it up, despite my avoidance of ME3 info until I play it, and it seems like the actual situation is that only the character as a squadmate existed on the original disk. The dialogue, mission, etc that came with the DLC were not included in the original files. I don't have any exact proof for this, only testimony from people who've enabled the character without the DLC, but if that's the case I really don't see how anyone could be bothered by that.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2013, 03:15:36 am »

I think the biggest issue is unfair manipulation of the thought process through false reviews, those lying and vague trailers etc which is all to common in the game industry.
Bought and false reviews are a problem, but I think the real solution to that is to just boycott the people putting out those reviews and for truly concerned gamers to get together and start making more honest and critical reviews themselves.

Given that the law pretty much says "No boycotts are not going to work" I am going to side with... no.

Payola is illegal for example. Why don't we just boycott those stations?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2013, 04:48:36 am »

Boycotting won't do nothing, only if you do  it with the indiie plataform games with 8-bit sounds and toady. The large publishers wich own a gigaload of IPs, fans, devs, lawyers and most important money and power won't even notice such small group of people that alreaady hated them and never bougth their games "boycotting" them, . Speaking of money and power, EA shares were so cheap last year as they were past 98, and yet that... thing suvived. And haven't you see that bill that will IIRC make games without ESBR rating illegal? For those who don't know, that rating costs the souls of 10 firstborns that only large publishers are able to kidnap. Such bill certainly was created to help these publishers and studios, because it would make the development of indie 3deep4you plataformers unprofitable for lonely devs like toady.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2013, 09:28:08 am »

It not going to pass it already been declared unconstitutional once.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2013, 11:25:27 am »

it already been declared unconstitutional once.

This. There's no reason to think that that is going to go anywhere.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2013, 12:05:27 pm »

it already been declared unconstitutional once.

This. There's no reason to think that that is going to go anywhere.

In Canada they were long since declaired unconstitutional simply because our contract law STATES that a contract is only valid if you read it or have it read to you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2013, 12:31:51 pm »

Please. I can find flaws in everything too. I just can't make it funny.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2013, 01:25:06 pm »

You know how I avoid getting ripped off by lame ass P2W mechanics, dlc, and crappy games? I don't buy them.

But don't say "I really really like CoD, but I disagree with what they charge for level packs, so I'm just gonna steal it".  If you disagree with the deal, don't take it. Saying you steal games because you disagree with DRM is pretty stupid.  The DRM is there because you keep stealing it.  Not that it's very effective, but that's why it keeps getting more draconian.   

Now, I'm entirely against measures taken to limit competition, such as EA buying a competitor and liquidating them, just to get rid of the competition, but nobody seems to be complaining about that here. 

If your real complaint is that most people don't like the same games as you, therefore companies aren't making games targeted toward you... too bad.  I don't like most people's ideas when it comes to politics.  Oh well, I live in a democracy.  I can educate people (which a good complaint about games should do).  Or I can feel entitled, and take dishonest measures (just like stealing games because you claim to disagree with something or other).   

Everyone's entitled to share their viewpoints.  You're not entitled to a great game every 2 weeks.  Your friends all playing a game doesn't mean you "have" to buy it.I haven't bought an EA game in years.  If nobody bought them, they wouldn't exist anymore.  If they make a good game, I'll probably buy it. Vote with your wallet.  Or you can just steal it, then complain that they treat gamers like thieves...   

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2013, 01:36:50 pm »

I'm entirely against measures taken to limit competition, such as EA buying a competitor and liquidating them, just to get rid of the competition, but nobody seems to be complaining about that here

I never really got that from EA. They just seemed to buy people up and were too incompetent to do anything GOOD with them... and THEN liquidated them.

They are like the Prince from Katamari. Sure they are making a big load of junk and rolling iti nto a big ball... but they are just going to blow it up in the end.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2013, 01:44:26 pm »

Lets take the problem at the source, i know a lot of pirate who take games because they are tired to pay company for their practice or just want try the game instead of taking a chance to be ripped off. If they would stop making shitty game maybe their would be less pirates and more sales.

Any of you saw Battlestar galactica? You know when they are on new caprica and the cylon cry the human are not happy with them and instead of understanding they just keep being more oppressive? Well i feel the same way here, while not the very same situation, instead of fixing WHY their sales are dropping, they go straight to the easiest resolution, try to stop pirate. Instead of fixing the *WHY* is there pirate.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2013, 01:51:31 pm »

I honestly believe that piracy is more of a convenience issue that anything else.  Here is an interesting article about how steam approached the Russian market, which was rife with piracy.

I really do think there would be less piracy if there was less DRM, and if it was easier for people to get the game they wanted. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36