Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36

Author Topic: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry  (Read 71242 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:39 pm »

The largest thing to remember that when it comes to Piracy... If someone wants to buy the game and can do so, they will.

The worst games to try to get your hand on are REALLY old games. Wanna try to get your hands on the disk version of Disk world 1 and 2? GOOD LUCK! get ready for pain.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2013, 01:54:33 pm »

I honestly believe that piracy is more of a convenience issue that anything else.  Here is an interesting article about how steam approached the Russian market, which was rife with piracy.

I really do think there would be less piracy if there was less DRM, and if it was easier for people to get the game they wanted.

This wasn’t Valve’s approach, though – it offered the carrot instead of the crowbar. “The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work,” Newell said. “It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”
Hey at least one guy is wise.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2013, 01:56:43 pm »

The largest thing to remember that when it comes to Piracy... If someone wants to buy the game and can do so, they will.

The worst games to try to get your hand on are REALLY old games. Wanna try to get your hands on the disk version of Disk world 1 and 2? GOOD LUCK! get ready for pain.
Found it....
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2013, 02:18:40 pm »

Found what? a unicorn?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »

EAs soul?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2013, 02:53:26 pm »

Speaking of EA, I'm no law student or very well versed in the various terminologies, but aren't they on the approach to being a monopoly?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2013, 02:55:16 pm »

Speaking of EA, I'm no law student or very well versed in the various terminologies, but aren't they on the approach to being a monopoly?

Nah, there is tons of competition.  They are huge, but they aren't close to a monopoly yet.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2013, 03:36:10 pm »

Lets take the problem at the source, i know a lot of pirate who take games because they are tired to pay company for their practice
An easy way not to pay a company for their practices is... not to buy the game. If you steal the game, then you must like the practices (of making the games) you just feel you shouldn't have to pay for it.
or just want try the game instead of taking a chance to be ripped off. If they would stop making shitty game maybe their would be less pirates and more sales.
BS.  That's a convenient excuse, but there's usually demos, player written reviews, etc.  Why would you steal the game to play it if it's so shitty?

Any of you saw Battlestar galactica? You know when they are on new caprica and the cylon cry the human are not happy with them and instead of understanding they just keep being more oppressive? Well i feel the same way here, while not the very same situation, instead of fixing WHY their sales are dropping, they go straight to the easiest resolution, try to stop pirate. Instead of fixing the *WHY* is there pirate.

Why are there pirates? There are game pirates for the same reason there are any other thieves.  They want something for nothing.  It's a childish and ENTITLED attitude.  Like, the for real dictionary definition of entitled.

Pirating an old game because you can't find it legitimately is something else.  I still won't do it, but I'm not going to call you a thief for doing that.

Someone makes a game.  If it weren't for them, the game wouldn't exist.  So they make the terms.  You don't like the terms? Fine, don't get the game.  You don't deserve the game just because it exists. They spent their time, and use their ideas. You like the result, pay them for their time and ideas.  By the way, when you steal the game, they just pass the cost of those lost profits on to the paying customers. So you're also stealing from the honest people who believe in paying for what they want.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2013, 03:46:58 pm »

A little bit of me dies when I see people act as if all pirates are malicious.

I cannot afford games. I have maybe three dollars to my name (which I need this week for bus transfers so I can get to this job assistance program), have been unable to find work, have to pay child support, and have had to move in with my father. However I still have down time. And I like playing video games. I've got a 5 year old laptop literally held together by tape and sheer willpower with a battery that holds zero charge. So yeah, I pirate games out of "necessity". And when I have the money, I do buy the game from the company. Even though the games I pirate are older. (Silent Hunter 3, IL-2 Forgotten Battles, Crusader Kings, for example).

While I may not be supporting them immediately, I do have the intent, and have acted upon it (as is the case with, most recently, Hearts of Iron 3). If wanting a new experience and eventually supporting the company for the effort they put into it makes me the bad guy, even when all the money I can spare goes to them, then so be it. But just know that your gross generalizations and accusations of lying or some other such underhandedness are low blows for at least one person out there.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2013, 04:51:17 pm »

A little bit of me dies when I see people act as if all pirates are malicious.

I cannot afford games. I have maybe three dollars to my name
I comprehend you brother.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2013, 05:05:19 pm »

Piracy isn't always a lost sale either.  I have no way of knowing for sure, but I'd bet in most cases if a person wanted to pirate a game but couldn't, they wouldn't go out and buy the game instead.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2013, 05:44:49 pm »

or just want try the game instead of taking a chance to be ripped off. If they would stop making shitty game maybe their would be less pirates and more sales.
BS.  That's a convenient excuse, but there's usually demos, player written reviews, etc.  Why would you steal the game to play it if it's so shitty?

There are a lot less demos these days and you can't really know if you'll enjoy it until you play some. I try before I buy and if the game is worth playing I'll buy it. I do the same with albums with an initial listen through YouTube or Grooveshark. GoG has got a lot of sales because of this.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:55 pm »

Why are there pirates? There are game pirates for the same reason there are any other thieves.  They want something for nothing.  It's a childish and ENTITLED attitude.  Like, the for real dictionary definition of entitled.

Hmmm so all rebels in dictatorship's country should be killed on sight then. Interesting point of view, Sure there will always be theives, but some theives are good thieves, are you saying if robin hood was real, he should be tried and jailed? taking from the corrupt and giving to poors?

Now just in case you dont see the logic beinhind what im saying, im simply saying that if they would understand the message and stop trying to opress more than deliver quality games and innovate, maybe they would be less pirated. Its in the human genetic, the more you oppress them the more they rebelle, same goes for what the company does to us, the more they piss off their customer the more will turn their back on them. See it how you want, thats the fact.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »

Now just in case you dont see the logic beinhind what im saying, im simply saying that if they would understand the message and stop trying to opress more than deliver quality games and innovate, maybe they would be less pirated.
That is ridiculous. So you are saying you're oppressed by the fact that some companies put out bland games lacking innovation? It's not like they're stifling innovation, it's that they have huge budgets and they want to make a return on them. Don't like the economics of big budget games? Don't buy them, don't play them. Piracy is not the solution and you're not sending them a "message" that their games aren't worth paying for, you're telling them that you want their games, you want them but you don't want to pay for them because you don't have to. That's what they see and that's all they're ever going to see from the situation.

If you want to encourage innovation that solution is to buy innovative games to donate to innovative creators. You aren't going to get anywhere by trying to change companies business models because they don't want to innovate. Instead you need to foster innovation where it already occurs and you do that with money not piracy.

Don't tell yourself you're some kind of freedom fighter when you pirate a game, you aren't. You aren't evil, you aren't a thief, but you haven't done a jot to help gaming.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2013, 06:22:52 pm »

When i speaks about oppression im talking about less content, more DRM, less consumer freedom by limiting the number of install per key, all other tools they shove down our troat to *control* the pirates, thats what im talking about when i speak about the opression. They put more money into *pirate control* than content, same as dictator putting more effort into controling rebels, instead of fixing their shit.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36