Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3899820 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: !
« Reply #19515 on: April 19, 2015, 06:57:55 pm »

I'm not much for cryptography, but hopefully this reference compilation will help all you codebreakers.
Also, a few notes:
-Letter count after the highlighted letter or for the entire line is unlikely to matter, as when Execute/Dumbo.exe asked FFS about a grammatical mistake FFS fixed the error (deleting 1 letter) without changing the highlighted letter. However, since the edit in question was after the highlighted letter on the line, letter count in front of the highlighted letter may still matter.
-All the orange letters are in the second half of the alphabet.
-Only 8 unique letters have been highlighted: y, r, u, s, t, p, o, and v.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:42:04 pm by ShadowHammer »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Halfhabet Soup
« Reply #19516 on: April 19, 2015, 07:03:29 pm »

I have a doubt about the "increment" part

It says: "method=INCREMENT_>13"

Should we interpret this as "Increment when over 13?" There are no conditionals here, so maybe this is not the correct interpretation. Could it be that each letter is added 13 so that it could be encripted? I mean, that's why we only have the second half of the alphabet. This doesn't say what to do with the letters already on the other side of the alphabet, though.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19517 on: April 19, 2015, 07:04:50 pm »

Spoiler: CRITICAL HINTS YO (click to show/hide)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19518 on: April 19, 2015, 07:07:12 pm »

I have a doubt about the "increment" part

It says: "method=INCREMENT_>13"

Should we interpret this as "Increment when over 13?" There are no conditionals here, so maybe this is not the correct interpretation. Could it be that each letter is added 13 so that it could be encripted? I mean, that's why we only have the second half of the alphabet. This doesn't say what to do with the letters already on the other side of the alphabet, though.

It might, The second and third messages say "When not increment then", and "On char set counter 0" so maybe that has something to do with it? *Shrug* I am more about the physical puzzles.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19519 on: April 19, 2015, 07:10:52 pm »

-snip-
That was Execute/Dumbo.exe, not me.

Chris the OK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19520 on: April 19, 2015, 07:11:52 pm »

Quote from: ShadowHammer
Only 8 unique letters have been highlighted: y, r, u, s, t, p, o, and v
Valuable points, ShadowHammer!

I just realized, the missing QWXZ letters are roughly what you'd expect from a frequency distribution of these letters in standard English. Or rather, the letters we see are the most likely ones for FFS to have available.

Only the absence of N - what you'd think would be the first letter of our "halfhabet" - is worrying.

The fact that these letters follow a frequency distribution roughly equivalent to their rankings in standard English texts leads me to the rather obvious conclusion that they are an arbitrarily chosen "starting point" or at least a secondary component in some larger manipulatory process. No simple cipher derived only from these letters will work. Which we all knew anyway. Still, the more we can be certain of, the better.

Anway. What the heck is going on with the letter N?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19521 on: April 19, 2015, 07:22:30 pm »

Also, ShadowHammer, wasn't it actually a grammatical mistake, which would imply that—since it was changed—letter count doesn't matter?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19522 on: April 19, 2015, 07:25:20 pm »

Also, ShadowHammer, wasn't it actually a grammatical mistake, which would imply that—since it was changed—letter count doesn't matter?
+1

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:28:45 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #19523 on: April 19, 2015, 07:25:43 pm »

Anyone else bugged by the fact it's "Halfhabet Soup" instead of "Halfabet Soup"? I'm no cryptographer, but maybe the extra h means something?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19524 on: April 19, 2015, 07:28:19 pm »

Clearly this is a coded message saying that we need to throw buckets of water at derm to solve the puzzle.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19525 on: April 19, 2015, 07:43:36 pm »

Clearly this is a coded message saying that we need to throw buckets of water at derm to solve the puzzle.

pls no
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19526 on: April 19, 2015, 07:44:33 pm »

-snip-
That was Execute/Dumbo.exe, not me.
Whoops, edited.

+1
...Oh. Um. Yeah. I... that... yeah. :-[ Nevermind that, edited. It's possible that letter count before the highlight still matters, because the edit came after the letter. Thanks for the catch :).

The last quote in your sig is so appropriate right now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:37:14 pm by ShadowHammer »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19527 on: April 19, 2015, 08:33:19 pm »

Anyone else bugged by the fact it's "Halfhabet Soup" instead of "Halfabet Soup"? I'm no cryptographer, but maybe the extra h means something?
Alphabet Soup.

That was actually bugging me, too. It's kind of a weird way to spell it, since the extra "h" makes no sense pronunciation-wise, but I don't think it means anything.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19528 on: April 19, 2015, 08:36:17 pm »

Well, the extra 'h' makes the title 'Halfhabet Soup' thirteen characters long, likely reflecting the kind of luck we'll have with solving this.  :P

EDIT: I'm facepalming, because I failed to realize that 13 is extremely relevant right now, so the choice of characters in the title isn't completely ffs jabbing at our luck.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:02:22 pm by Worldmaster27 »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19529 on: April 19, 2015, 08:44:51 pm »

Well, the extra 'h' makes the title 'Halfhabet Soup' thirteen characters long, likely reflecting the kind of luck we'll have with solving this.  :P
Notably, the extra "h" is the difference between it being an odd or even number of characters.

With the "h", the word is an odd number of characters, and the phrase can be either depending on whether you count the space.

If the word or phrase is an odd number of spaces, it can't be halved.
Pages: 1 ... 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 ... 1544