Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 220966 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #1080 on: January 20, 2013, 11:27:10 am »

We are going to have a lot of fireball (or plasma) cannons on our fortress.  I just think we should have at least one chaos weapon as well and if we're just going to have one, it might as well be a really powerful one.  Remember what happened to that shaman when our dragon breathed chaos on it?  It killed the goblin and gave us an ally (albeit not an extremely useful one).  Now imagine pouring huge amounts of chaos energy on an advancing enemy army, killing tons of them and giving us legions of mutated monsters as well.  If we don't like what they turn into, just pour down some spores and turn them into fungus spawn.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 20, 2013, 11:27:59 am »

It's not actually fallout, this isn't a nuke. Also, since we already have a sort of firebolt salvo planned, I think it would be better to go with the Chaos. Alternatively, we could try to give it a few different firing elements, which would also strengthen the Chaos. Because what's more chaotic than several different elements at the same time?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29:18 am »

For that I think we would need the other gods to contribute to the weapon systems, which I'm fine with btw.
Sure thing peanut man!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29:37 am »

Indeed.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 20, 2013, 11:31:17 am »

The problem with this is that our primary enemies are all the foot soldiers of gods of order, they will have put in place measures to ensure that they can't be royally screwed over by the directed energies of chaos, a weapon that instead utilises life or fire will be much more useful since it will completely bypass the one attribute that all ten of those gods have in common, where as a chaos cannon would be rendered useless against them because of those ten gods of order.  All of whom just so happen to be orders of magnitude stronger than us.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 20, 2013, 11:34:38 am »

I think it's been shown that the ability of a mortal to shield themselves from anything sustained is rather limited.  If we had a large powerful chaos cannon, I think chances are it would be able to puncture through the defense of almost all but perhaps the most powerful enemies.  If the gods directly intervened to block our weapon than that would be different but even then, that would keep the gods busy trying to defend their followers and expending mana while we lose nothing and gain an advantage.
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 20, 2013, 11:35:04 am »

We are going to have a lot of fireball (or plasma) cannons on our fortress.  I just think we should have at least one chaos weapon as well and if we're just going to have one, it might as well be a really powerful one.  Remember what happened to that shaman when our dragon breathed chaos on it?  It killed the goblin and gave us an ally (albeit not an extremely useful one).  Now imagine pouring huge amounts of chaos energy on an advancing enemy army, killing tons of them and giving us legions of mutated monsters as well.  If we don't like what they turn into, just pour down some spores and turn them into fungus spawn.
Well, some issues...
1. Expense
2. Fallout
We have to live here. If we keep irradiating the land with Chaos, it'll be harder to do so. Even if we don't hit our village, how many traders would be willing to cross a band of Chaos-tainted land to reach us?

It's not actually fallout, this isn't a nuke.
Well duh. Fallout is just a nice metaphor for all the insanity Chaos does.

Also, since we already have a sort of firebolt salvo planned, I think it would be better to go with the Chaos. Alternatively, we could try to give it a few different firing elements, which would also strengthen the Chaos. Because what's more chaotic than several different elements at the same time?
Le sigh. How about we just make a cannon room which we can buff with life, chaos, and fire from us, and death, chaos, and snakes from Krait? Maybe even get some earth and creation in with it. Heck, let's find a Water god to infuse some into it to! But not now, not yet. For now, just get it in the air and maybe add some AA flamethrowers.

The problem with this is that our primary enemies are all the foot soldiers of gods of order, they will have put in place measures to ensure that they can't be royally screwed over by the directed energies of chaos, a weapon that instead utilises life or fire will be much more useful since it will completely bypass the one attribute that all ten of those gods have in common, where as a chaos cannon would be rendered useless against them because of those ten gods of order.  All of whom just so happen to be orders of magnitude stronger than us.
Nine gods of order orders of magnitude stronger than us.
And yeah, flamethrowers. Consider a chaos cannon later, when we have more time, more allies*, and fewer of our enemies are Order gods.
*Including a Water God.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 20, 2013, 11:36:29 am »

They can't protect any but a few of their armies, and in any case it will weaken them trying to stop our superweapon, which also costs no mana. Generally, it all balances out. As for the chaos buildup, we are a god of chaos, and can therefor control it. When it builds up, why not channel the excess Chaos energies?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:38:07 am by Remuthra »

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 20, 2013, 11:37:46 am »

Well, some issues...
1. Expense
2. Fallout
We have to live here. If we keep irradiating the land with Chaos, it'll be harder to do so. Even if we don't hit our village, how many traders would be willing to cross a band of Chaos-tainted land to reach us?

It's not actually fallout, this isn't a nuke.
Well duh. Fallout is just a nice metaphor for all the insanity Chaos does.

Also, since we already have a sort of firebolt salvo planned, I think it would be better to go with the Chaos. Alternatively, we could try to give it a few different firing elements, which would also strengthen the Chaos. Because what's more chaotic than several different elements at the same time?
Le sigh. How about we just make a cannon room which we can buff with life, chaos, and fire from us, and death, chaos, and snakes from Krait? Maybe even get some earth and creation in with it. Heck, let's find a Water god to infuse some into it to! But not now, not yet. For now, just get it in the air and maybe add some AA flamethrowers.

Nine gods of order orders of magnitude stronger than us.
And yeah, flamethrowers. Consider a chaos cannon later, when we have more time, more allies*, and fewer of our enemies are Order gods.
*Including a Water God.
+1

I think it's been shown that the ability of a mortal to shield themselves from anything sustained is rather limited.  If we had a large powerful chaos cannon, I think chances are it would be able to puncture through the defense of almost all but perhaps the most powerful enemies.  If the gods directly intervened to block our weapon than that would be different but even then, that would keep the gods busy trying to defend their followers and expending mana while we lose nothing and gain an advantage.
It would be cheaper for them to shield an entire army then each individual, presumably, and since there are a whole lot of 'em with a whole lot more power than us, when they've got their full power focused on us, we wont be able to do much.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 20, 2013, 11:39:04 am »

They can't protect any but a few of their armies, and in any case it will weaken them trying to stop our superweapon, which also costs no mana. Generally, it all balances out.
Once again, there are nine of them.  Their followers number in the millions.  I don't think they really have to worry about power lossage on that front because the can combine their power/swap out who's holding the line.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 20, 2013, 11:43:14 am »

Mechanical weapons first, Uristel is the one making the fortress, we will only lift in into the air together with Krait, remember? We may and will add something later, but now it should be armed with what Uristel can create, catapults and so on. And that's universal weapons, hard to get block by any magic, and extremely long range due to our height advantage

You guys are prone to the awesome but unpractical trope. Simple solutions do work

And Corruptor is gonna hate us reading all that spam

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 20, 2013, 11:45:05 am »

Mechanical weapons first, Uristel is the one making the fortress, we will only lift in into the air together with Krait, remember? We may and will add something later, but now it should be armed with what Uristel can create, catapults and so on. And that's universal weapons, hard to get block by any magic, and extremely long range due to our height advantage

You guys are prone to the awesome but unpractical trope. Simple solutions do work

And Corruptor is gonna hate us reading all that spam
Agreed, start with regular weapons, we'll add flamethrowers and WMDs later.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 20, 2013, 11:45:41 am »

Couldn't they block just about any attack by us in that manner though?  Would it even matter if we shot chaos energy, fireballs or whatever else considering the amount of power they have?  I know the plan's not fool proof but it does give us another weapon in our arsenal, one that we don't have to use all the time but that could be very effective in choice circumstances.  Also keep in mind if we don't use it until a large battle, they won't expect it and probably won't be able to defend their soldiers in time (we would sort of have the element of surprise).

Catapults are good but I prefer canons which I think is something he should be able to make and they aren't really that impractical.

Lastly, does anyone think it might be interesting to try and sneak into the enemy gods' afterlife(s) and open up a tear to the void?
Sure thing peanut man!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 20, 2013, 11:49:12 am »

Couldn't they block just about any attack by us in that manner though?  Would it even matter if we shot chaos energy, fireballs or whatever else considering the amount of power they have?  I know the plan's not fool proof but it does give us another weapon in our arsenal, one that we don't have to use all the time but that could be very effective in choice circumstances.  Also keep in mind if we don't use it until a large battle, they won't expect it and probably won't be able to defend their soldiers in time (we would sort of have the element of surprise).

Catapults are good but I prefer canons which I think is something he should be able to make and they aren't really that impractical.

Lastly, does anyone think it might be interesting to try and sneak into the enemy gods' afterlife(s) and open up a tear to the void?
I think that would be just wrong, and besides, do we really want to go tampering with the void?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 20, 2013, 11:54:09 am »

We are way too weak for raiding afterlifes, and it's not trivial to find them
And killing souls just because they worhiped a wrong god... seem wrong for a god of life

And we should respect power of chaos,  we know that  it can be destructive and use it wisely, mostly in controllable ways.

And as a god of life we should respect it and destroy witout very serious reasons, carpet bombing with raw chaos, will hurt life... + we will fight over our own territory

And yes, weapons of chaos are the worst choice against order, they have huge experience dealing with it... We should use chaos mostly to protect ourself against order and attack with our life and fire
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 130