Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864877 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16110 on: February 28, 2015, 09:13:27 pm »

I will point out, I wasn't talking about the modern internet, I was talking about a kludged together 80s'esque hacker network that might appear after a while, as people try and reestablish communication.
Some kind of network using old wifi routers, and satellite dishes (search it you can use them to pick up wifi over very long distances)?
So basically using radios for internet? It's not impossible, or necessarily unreasonable. It's just that as far as I know there's not a great deal of precedent for people to work off.

EDIT: Actually, there totally is precedent. So that's something. It's not exactly widespread but it's developed enough to be workable, especially in an apocalypse where people are going to be much less choosy about bandwidth and latency.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:23:27 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16111 on: February 28, 2015, 09:54:21 pm »

As it turns out, rubber gloves do not help you against shockers when unarmed. At least that character had just started, so no big loss for me.

Awww you thought this was a Roguelike didn't you? :P

Sarcasm aside... Yeah that is the sort of thinking these sort of games should be encouraging.

The reason I tried to get into Roguelikes in the first place was because I found out the "Orb of poison" could be picked up safely if you were wearing gloves.

Using wooden weapons instead of metal ones worked, so I figured that they might've thought to add this too. I'd love to see this in the game.

And I started playing Roguelikes for the exact same reason, I love the ridiculously high attention to details they tend to have.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16112 on: February 28, 2015, 10:13:53 pm »

Ah, just a public service announcement. Using the construction menu to place a charcoal forge makes it buggy. You can keep dumping hundreds of charcoal in the forge and it only registers the last load you put in. Also, adding new charcoal overwrites the exiting total. However, you can just pick the forge up and reload it in your inventory as usual, then drop the item on the ground and use it for crafting as per normal. This is as of last night's version (2/27).
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16113 on: February 28, 2015, 11:47:25 pm »

When farming, do I need to be away from the plants for 21 days, or is it enough to just leave and come back after 21 days have passed? The wiki isn't very clear and it's a lot of time to wait for something that won't work because I'm doing it wrong.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16114 on: February 28, 2015, 11:55:45 pm »

EDIT: Actually, there totally is precedent. So that's something. It's not exactly widespread but it's developed enough to be workable, especially in an apocalypse where people are going to be much less choosy about bandwidth and latency.
Indeed. The military has been using data over radio for decades now, long before mobile phones were anything other than voice.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16115 on: March 01, 2015, 01:41:20 am »

When farming, do I need to be away from the plants for 21 days, or is it enough to just leave and come back after 21 days have passed? The wiki isn't very clear and it's a lot of time to wait for something that won't work because I'm doing it wrong.
I believe that you can leave and then come back. That said, it would be relatively easy to check.
1) Make a new world.
2) Set season length to something like 2 days.
3) Debug yourself some seeds, plant them, and leave far enough that they are unloaded from the reality bubble.
4) Wait for a few days.
5) Come back.

If the plants have grown, you know you can just leave, else you will need to stay nearby.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16116 on: March 01, 2015, 11:51:15 am »

Another random thing from me, but I kinda always figured that the places that had working power just had solar panels for emergency power. 

It's not like it's going to be generating tons of it, just enough to be powering essential systems like control consoles, while the lights stay out.   In fact I vaguely recall seeing one console, I think in radio stations, specifically saying they are operating in low power mode.  I was actually thinking that if z-levels were implemented going to the roof of certain buildings with tools could be a source of solar panels.

As for ATMs and vending machines there are already solar powered vending machines and ATMs in the world right now, let alone in the future.

...anyway headcanon man awayyyy!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16117 on: March 01, 2015, 01:47:47 pm »

I'm finally wanting to give this game a serious shot.
But uuhhh, the link on the OP isn't working?

(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16118 on: March 01, 2015, 01:51:28 pm »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16119 on: March 01, 2015, 02:00:33 pm »

Ahhh, thanks.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16120 on: March 01, 2015, 04:37:19 pm »

Indeed. The military has been using data over radio for decades now, long before mobile phones were anything other than voice.
Neato. I've never heard of it outside of a hacky amateur radio context, so the fact that it's more conventional than that is reassuring for post-apoc internet.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16121 on: March 01, 2015, 07:27:11 pm »

It's actually even simpler than that.  Like, in WWII they were deploying radio-guided torpedoes, which worked by sending data via radio to the torpedo, which would then interpret that into commands.  Remote control cars work the same way.  These are just simple, in terms of "Frequency A" vs "Frequency B" for simple logic, but it's just a step up to turn A into 1, and B into 0, and then transmit binary via radio pulses...

The main issue with radio is being generally not secure, and highly visible to anyone else listening for it, so it's not super popular as a means of data sharing.  It's also super easy for anyone to jam signals just by producing a lot of radio noise.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16122 on: March 01, 2015, 07:40:26 pm »

Unless you want to create completely new network infrastructure for all the computers on the new internet you'll want to be using the protocols that are in place now, in a way that encodes it onto the radio wave in a way that is universally agreed upon.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16123 on: March 01, 2015, 07:48:55 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-hopping_spread_spectrum
Can be secure and unjammable unless you jam everything, including your own.
Blinding yourself to blind the enemy is a very poor tactic.

But yes, plain-text single-channel transmissions (typical civilian radio) are both public and easily jammed.
Unfortunately, in the US, civilian use of encryption over public airwaves is illegal for the most part.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16124 on: March 01, 2015, 07:52:36 pm »

This is after the cataclym. Any enforcer of the law who is alive probably doesn't care you're sending encrypted messages through the shithole you're in.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 1086