Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864870 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16140 on: March 02, 2015, 07:09:30 pm »

Spoiler: kinda spoilery (click to show/hide)
Durnit guys yer not supposed to make me sad when I'm playing as a coke-d up bionic mutant kung-fu god of war.  Stahp.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16141 on: March 02, 2015, 07:13:06 pm »

That is exactly the correct time to add a bit of emotional underpinnings. Now that coke-d up bionic mutant kung-fu god of war will be out for !!JUSTICE!! for that kid.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16142 on: March 02, 2015, 07:21:02 pm »

Judging from the trees the trifflid grove will be my next target.  Sure it's in the completely other direction but that is the only possible culprit.

I was perfectly happy just coming by and punching (and biting, fangs yo) you walking salads for the easy sustainable food.  but this means war.  Just need to fuel up my jackhammer.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16143 on: March 02, 2015, 09:23:16 pm »

Basically, I run outside of the evac shelter, head to the nearest town because otherwise I starve to death, and get swamped by special zombies like the dogs and feral hunters, even when abusing their pathing. Are towns not advisable to raid during the daytime anymore?
In the experimental version zombies have some modicum of night vision, so it's probably worse to go at night. :P

That said I'd say your problem is that you are trying to go to deep at the beginning. What you basically want to do is this:
1) Find an edge of the town as far away from the shops (which is where the majority of zombies will be), ideally a few houses that stick out in a suburb type thing.
2) Lure 1-2 zombies out and kill them, using bushes and whatnot to slow them down so you don't get hurt.
3) Continue part 2 until you've cleared out the zombies in an area.
4) Loot the cleared buildings.
5) Continue steps 2-4 until you feel you can survive/handle more.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #16144 on: March 02, 2015, 10:59:31 pm »

Or do what I did on my first (and only) successful non-cheat character: find a LMOE shelter and camp there for eternity, living on stew made from stray dogs.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16145 on: March 03, 2015, 12:16:25 am »

Does quadrupling the number of starting points count as cheating?

Actually, I don't think it matters. I've never had a character survive more than a few days.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16146 on: March 03, 2015, 12:22:29 am »

I'm actively preventing myself from attempting to cheat, at least. Still haven't had a character last more than a day or two, but it's an improvement over them lasting a few minutes.

On a side note, what's a good season to start in? Every time I've started a new world in Spring, it's snowing outside. And while none of my characters have lasted long enough to worry about frostbite in the long term when there are dead things gnawing on them in the short term, I feel like it's a huge potential hindrance.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16147 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:00 am »

Spring is the best start. Cold won't matter after you smash the shelter to bits for crafting materials, make some armor and a weapon and get your looting on.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16148 on: March 03, 2015, 12:32:17 am »

Approximately how many bashes are required to smash a bench or counter top, with 10 strength? Mostly I get the message that I don't appear to be doing any damage to the object.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16149 on: March 03, 2015, 12:33:33 am »

Go outside, grab a rock, wield it, and you'll smash it in about 5 hits on average.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16150 on: March 03, 2015, 12:54:06 am »

Go outside, grab a rock, wield it, and you'll smash it in about 5 hits on average.
Yeah, if you get the "you don't appear to be doing any damage" message it means you'll never break it. Use something to improve your bashing power (like the suggested rock) and you'll be able to bash through many more things.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16151 on: March 03, 2015, 01:17:32 am »

I've never figured out how to use thermite. How do you put it on, say, barred windows or a metal door? Would it even work against those?
Nothing important here, move along.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16152 on: March 03, 2015, 02:11:57 am »

You'd stick it in a bag and tape the bag to the bars. The heat would melt most of the wall, but there you go.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

blazing glory

« Reply #16153 on: March 03, 2015, 02:30:50 am »

Is there a tailors kit for metal objects? Or is my firemans helmet cursed forever to remain un-kevlarfied and un-leatherfied?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16154 on: March 03, 2015, 02:34:40 am »

Real men use thermite for cooking!
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1086