Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864847 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16125 on: March 01, 2015, 08:04:03 pm »

Cata's reality bubble doesn't care if you're sending any messages at all.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16126 on: March 01, 2015, 10:05:16 pm »

This is after the cataclym. Any enforcer of the law who is alive probably doesn't care you're sending encrypted messages through the shithole you're in.
That wasn't a reference to the then legality of it, but the unlikelihood of there being equipment and/or experience for most people to have access to the network in the near-after because of the present legality. Long-term though, assuming there isn't a complete extinction, the various factions could set up a secure and essentially un-jammable radio network.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16127 on: March 02, 2015, 11:26:40 am »

So I've been having the damn destination time getting back into this. Every character I've made ends up dying on the first day, and this has occurred about a dozen times.

Usually because there's a feral hunter lurking around the town. It's somewhat more annoying when the tiles et I'm on has those and other special zombies represented by  bland gray #, a symbol shared by things like rubble and car exteriors, as well as telling me nothing about what they are at a glance

Any tips for someone who hasn't played since the game was fully in ASCII?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16128 on: March 02, 2015, 11:31:01 am »

Your radar is your friend. There's also a hotkey that will list all items/beings in your view. Shift v? I forget. Don't have the hotkey list handy.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16129 on: March 02, 2015, 11:50:40 am »

Turn off tilesets?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16130 on: March 02, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »

All the tilesets I've seen are confusing because of shared tiles. Use the console version.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16131 on: March 02, 2015, 02:09:53 pm »

Coleen 32x tileset. Zero issues.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16132 on: March 02, 2015, 04:27:04 pm »

Last I saw, RetroDays was pretty stellar.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16133 on: March 02, 2015, 05:55:59 pm »

ASCII vehicles flat out look better.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16134 on: March 02, 2015, 06:01:37 pm »

Eh, it's not just the tiles that are at issue, I think some part I'm not getting with raiding towns in static spawn mode (which I remember being a bit easier to start), or quirks with my character build (which is a little min-maxy on stats, traits, and disadvantages, but I'm unsure what the professions really do overall, so I tend to pick the Survivor default).

Basically, I run outside of the evac shelter, head to the nearest town because otherwise I starve to death, and get swamped by special zombies like the dogs and feral hunters, even when abusing their pathing. Are towns not advisable to raid during the daytime anymore?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16135 on: March 02, 2015, 06:11:14 pm »

Are you making a weapon or any armor first?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #16136 on: March 02, 2015, 06:13:55 pm »

DEATH TO THE TILESET HERETICS!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

blazing glory

« Reply #16137 on: March 02, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »

DEATH TO THE TILESET HERETICS!

Burn all the tilesets!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16138 on: March 02, 2015, 06:18:40 pm »

Eh, it's not just the tiles that are at issue, I think some part I'm not getting with raiding towns in static spawn mode (which I remember being a bit easier to start), or quirks with my character build (which is a little min-maxy on stats, traits, and disadvantages, but I'm unsure what the professions really do overall, so I tend to pick the Survivor default).

Basically, I run outside of the evac shelter, head to the nearest town because otherwise I starve to death, and get swamped by special zombies like the dogs and feral hunters, even when abusing their pathing. Are towns not advisable to raid during the daytime anymore?
With the utter torrent of new specials, you'll want to play it safe; raid individual homes on the very corners if possible, or otherwise remote-ish. And I highly recommend the SWAT+high DEX+Krav Maga+Quick build; you start with a VERY good armor and if you just manage not to get utterly swarmed before your Melee/HTH skills are any useful, you get a hilarious stun dispenser-slash-walking tank.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16139 on: March 02, 2015, 06:20:01 pm »

but I'm unsure what the professions really do overall
Mostly, it jsut changes what you start with. Some give bionics, and most give more skills than you normally would be able to get, along with items.

Also, starting scenario affects them., mostly by limiting what you can be.

-ninja edit-

The SWAT build only seems to be in experimentals, just a note.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1086