Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864807 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16065 on: February 26, 2015, 04:24:24 pm »

My quick question for this: Is there any way to expand the game screen as of yet, with the tiles version, or at least scale it to 2x? It's a bit small on my monitor.

Edit: Nevermind, found the option to increase window size. The question of scaling it up remains, though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:34:52 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16066 on: February 26, 2015, 04:36:53 pm »

My quick question for this: Is there any way to expand the game screen as of yet, with the tiles version, or at least scale it to 2x? It's a bit small on my monitor.

Edit: Nevermind, found the option to increase window size. The question of scaling it up remains, though.
You mean so there's more tiles per window? If so, press Z. It allows you to 'zoom out' the view, doing just that. Since I play with 32x, it's invaluable for driving.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16067 on: February 26, 2015, 04:41:28 pm »

I think he wants less tiles per window, bigger tiles in other words.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Firetrout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16068 on: February 26, 2015, 04:42:38 pm »

So, I took a mission from an NPC, accomplished it, then another, similar... then I ran into the Investigate Cult mission. I arrived at the site, explored a house... found nothing of interest at all. Then I checked the code to see what was I supposed to find. Nope, not there. What do? Would cheating work?

Did you see a priest's diary?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16069 on: February 26, 2015, 04:55:20 pm »

So, I took a mission from an NPC, accomplished it, then another, similar... then I ran into the Investigate Cult mission. I arrived at the site, explored a house... found nothing of interest at all. Then I checked the code to see what was I supposed to find. Nope, not there. What do? Would cheating work?

Did you see a priest's diary?
Yeah, that's the previous one. I knew I was supposed to find an etched skull, so I just cheated it in - its absence was likely related to the fact that it spawned between a salt marsh and a river - and it worked. After one more, finally got the quest-lady as a follower (you'd figure it would be much easier, given that I was a SWAT officer and she was in a police station cell...).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16070 on: February 26, 2015, 05:11:38 pm »

Highly Opinionated Fool

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16071 on: February 26, 2015, 05:36:09 pm »

You are probably thinking about the cathedral, which fits the bill perfectly, but the only one in range had a small relic I needed to start the quest line.

E: I found it. A bit needlessly obscured - I actually thought of that, but there had been enough windows that I gave up after a few. Wow, that place was creepy as fuck.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:41:48 pm by scrdest »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16072 on: February 26, 2015, 07:33:51 pm »

Yep, thats the one.

And yep, it is rather hidden.
Highly Opinionated Fool

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16073 on: February 26, 2015, 10:38:09 pm »

On topic, I don't see why the internet would be down everywhere. Given that its a redundant comm network for the military, plus the fact that the worst of things happened in New England, yes it should be hard to access, but not impossible. And by hard I mean requiring a trip into a FEMA camp or something similar.
There is no power, anywhere, full stop.  Not as we know it.
A packet radio type thing for communication? sure.
Anything remotely resembling the internet? never.

Also, New England is not harder hit than everywhere else, it's just where you happen to be.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16074 on: February 26, 2015, 11:15:15 pm »

Actually, given the presumable prevalence of fiber optics and the increasingly lower power requirements of computers, as long as there were still computers and servers connected and, optionally, one of the DNS servers was still operational, the internet would be perfectly accessible. Yeah, there'd probably be a whole lot less websites to visit, but I'm sure a few would still be running on backup power or something, and that's not even considering that there could be survivors maintaining a server, giving out directions to safety and survival tips.

On the topic of technology, why the hell aren't e-books and, well, general high-technology, more widely available? You'd figure that everyone and their mother would have a Kandle or an aPad, or even a Noid. The game plays like they couldn't get circuits any smaller around early 2000.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16075 on: February 26, 2015, 11:57:46 pm »

Theres the tablet.

But most things probably where fried in all those terrorist nukings that occurred, remember?
Highly Opinionated Fool

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16076 on: February 27, 2015, 12:17:38 am »

Actually, given the presumable prevalence of fiber optics and the increasingly lower power requirements of computers, as long as there were still computers and servers connected and, optionally, one of the DNS servers was still operational, the internet would be perfectly accessible. Yeah, there'd probably be a whole lot less websites to visit, but I'm sure a few would still be running on backup power or something, and that's not even considering that there could be survivors maintaining a server, giving out directions to safety and survival tips.
You seem to misunderstand how fiber works, it needs repeaters and switches and routers just like copper, none of that is going to be operating.
It's not a matter of DNS or protocol handling, layer 1 isn't going to be available.  All the vaunted resiliency of the internet still assumes ubiquitous power, if you don't have that, no internet.
The only way you're going to get access to data in a webserver is if you find the physical server and bring it up manually.  (outside possible special cases like lab facilities or similar)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16077 on: February 27, 2015, 12:37:07 am »

FWIW, radio-based packet transmissions are no worse than dial-up with a decent setup, and comparable to modern broadband with an optimum one. It's what cellphones use after all. Sure it wouldn't be as widespread as the current reach, due to the improbability that all the towers would be on some form of maintenance-free power like solar, but it could still exist in the local area, and be of at least as much use as BBSs were.

On the topic of power, generally speaking, most traditional nuclear power would last for months before complete shutdown, assuming sensible things like automated load balancing and fuel control which would compensate for the declining equipment and transmission conditions. Nominal operation on well-maintained equipment is relatively low-maintenance, and the power supply would likely last, in declining amounts (something akin to a shallow exponential decay), as long as the current fuel rods could supply adequate heat. Other than nuclear fear-mongering, this has been possible for decades.
If this is a moderately advanced world, as the cybernetics and more imply, then there's a high likelihood that thorium power plants would be in use, and those run even better than traditional nuclear when left unattended, almost maintenance-free.

Related: Holy hell do I wikidive sometimes.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16078 on: February 27, 2015, 01:23:31 am »

The US power grids are awful messes. Most of it is currently 50 years past its expiration date. Seagulls take out whole cities. Storms take out states. None of it is staying 100% connected through the Cataclysm, certainly not in the New England states.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #16079 on: February 27, 2015, 01:25:44 am »

You seem to misunderstand how fiber works, it needs repeaters and switches and routers just like copper, none of that is going to be operating.
It's not a matter of DNS or protocol handling, layer 1 isn't going to be available.  All the vaunted resiliency of the internet still assumes ubiquitous power, if you don't have that, no internet.
The only way you're going to get access to data in a webserver is if you find the physical server and bring it up manually.  (outside possible special cases like lab facilities or similar)

Well, I was thinking a really low-tech, patched together network. It might take days for your message to get through, and you probably can't transfer very much, but you can still talk to a few people and get some information. It also wouldn't appear for a few months after the cataclysm.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 1086