Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864780 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16050 on: February 26, 2015, 02:30:43 am »

Even if the ground-based infrastructure is fucked, there might still be a lot of functioning satellites out there, allowing satellite-based internet to work somewhat. Hmmm, why does this make me think of orbital artillery strikes dropping tungsten rods to annihilate whole city blocks?

You know, one faction, Rich Bastards of Not-Elysium, could be based in an orbital base and occasionally visiting down below to scavenge/nab slaves/collect research data.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16051 on: February 26, 2015, 02:37:40 am »

While there are a handful of things that are satellite internet based (such as the banks, which is why the ATM's still work), in most cases it's just way more feasible to keep your servers on the ground. No people = no power & no refueling of generators, which means that all your ground servers are offline, not even counting the fact that most server sites use fiber optics in/out of the them, nor counting the servers destroyed.

The main problem with the internet isn't so much that you can't attempt to access it (though that is still a problem), it's that the servers that hold all of it's content or connect you to other places are either destroyed, disconnected, or not powered.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #16052 on: February 26, 2015, 03:46:11 am »

Speaking of satellites still working, is GPS in the game?  And what is it good for?
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16053 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:21 am »

The obvious drawback being that, no matter how good a dodger you are, you cannot do the matrix, and are thus dependent on terrain, luck, or armor (which often inhibits MA) to close the distance.

Without bionics, that's quite true. With bionics/mutations though...

The entire point of one of the bionics is literally to allow you to do the matrix, matter of fact.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16054 on: February 26, 2015, 11:32:31 am »

The obvious drawback being that, no matter how good a dodger you are, you cannot do the matrix, and are thus dependent on terrain, luck, or armor (which often inhibits MA) to close the distance.

Without bionics, that's quite true. With bionics/mutations though...

The entire point of one of the bionics is literally to allow you to do the matrix, matter of fact.
I still want to know why no agent pulled out an automatic shotgun on him. Or why no human used one on an agent.

On topic, I don't see why the internet would be down everywhere. Given that its a redundant comm network for the military, plus the fact that the worst of things happened in New England, yes it should be hard to access, but not impossible. And by hard I mean requiring a trip into a FEMA camp or something similar.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16055 on: February 26, 2015, 11:39:17 am »

Alot of the internet uses satellites, which with nukes going off and frying them...

As for cables, nukes, terrorists, powerloss, and deamonic monsters running amok.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16056 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:21 am »

My first shocker brute, right after leaving the shelter.

I did not survive.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16057 on: February 26, 2015, 12:09:10 pm »

I still want to know why no agent pulled out an automatic shotgun on him. Or why no human used one on an agent.
Probably because shotguns have far less significant spread than most media would have you believe. Even for a sawn-off, it could take a good 20 meters for the spread to reach any size that would prevent stand-in-place bullet dodging, and the agents' entire schtick was being able to pop up on you in the least convenient times and places.
Nothing important here, move along.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16058 on: February 26, 2015, 03:24:37 pm »

My first shocker brute, right after leaving the shelter.

I did not survive.

My last character died to one too. I was fighting a horde behind a window in a house. One turn I was perfectly fine, the next turn the brute come out of a corner, shock me, go through the window, punch me a few times, send me flying to a wall and finally punch me a few more times until I become mashed potatoes.

Anyone know a good way to get rid of shockers in general when you play as a melee character? It seems that half of the time I kill them without problems and the other half they kill me in two or three turns.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16059 on: February 26, 2015, 03:30:43 pm »

Don't melee shockers with metal weapons. Metal conducts electricity... wooden staves don't.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16060 on: February 26, 2015, 03:36:35 pm »

So, I took a mission from an NPC, accomplished it, then another, similar... then I ran into the Investigate Cult mission. I arrived at the site, explored a house... found nothing of interest at all. Then I checked the code to see what was I supposed to find. Nope, not there. What do? Would cheating work?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16061 on: February 26, 2015, 03:56:10 pm »

Don't melee shockers with metal weapons. Metal conducts electricity... wooden staves don't.

I suppose bare hands are also a bad idea. Would putting leather gloves solve this?
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16062 on: February 26, 2015, 04:12:07 pm »

I suppose bare hands are also a bad idea. Would putting leather gloves solve this?

Not a clue, I've never gotten far with a martial arts character.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16063 on: February 26, 2015, 04:20:15 pm »

My solution on melee focused characters is shorty shotguns and molotovs.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16064 on: February 26, 2015, 04:23:13 pm »

Bullwhips also help deal with hazardous to melee enemies. Sawn-off shotguns are usually my go-to emergency armament.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 ... 1086