Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864321 times)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15870 on: February 16, 2015, 02:03:20 pm »

*snip*

Mind if I sig this?

Go ahead.

Thanks  :)

Anyways, how rare are faction outpost/buildings? I have seen only two of them since I started playing, one with bandits and one with merchants. Also, is there any way to find them other then wandering around?
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: February 16, 2015, 02:04:05 pm »

I don't know if this is the place to discuss it, but I had an idea, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to try learning coding from almost no experience in order to implement it, or if I'd have better luck just bidding for someone else to do it.

Anyway, the idea is instruments and a skill (or several) related to playing them. It would add a bit of life to the world as well as another way to keep your spirits up. Plus, consider the iconography of a group of travelers sitting around, listening to someone playing a mournful melody on an acoustic guitar.
Nothing important here, move along.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: February 16, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »

I don't know if this is the place to discuss it, but I had an idea, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to try learning coding from almost no experience in order to implement it, or if I'd have better luck just bidding for someone else to do it.

Anyway, the idea is instruments and a skill (or several) related to playing them. It would add a bit of life to the world as well as another way to keep your spirits up. Plus, consider the iconography of a group of travelers sitting around, listening to someone playing a mournful melody on an acoustic guitar.

ONLY IF you can craft improv. instruments as well.
wood sawing quality 1 + 2 by 4 + long string = twangy thing

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: February 16, 2015, 02:30:43 pm »

I would love to see how that could interact with NPC's. We could have musician NPC's performing for a price, which would be quite interesting. There's also quite a lot of professions that could also be added in relation with instruments.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: February 16, 2015, 03:04:18 pm »

I would love to see how that could interact with NPC's. We could have musician NPC's performing for a price, which would be quite interesting. There's also quite a lot of professions that could also be added in relation with instruments.

I am all for post apocalyptic rock stars, jazzers and singer/songwriters!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: February 16, 2015, 04:13:24 pm »

STALKER aesthetic, here we come.  Nothing like sitting down around the campfire with the other STALKERs survivors after a hard day in the Zone New England.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: February 16, 2015, 05:02:16 pm »

This coupled with docile NPCs would be pretty amazing actually.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15877 on: February 16, 2015, 07:40:27 pm »

I don't really think either a skill or improved instruments are needed, but having more varied sources of mood/morale boosting isn't a bad thing.
A trait to improve the boost sounds like a good idea though.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: February 16, 2015, 08:03:04 pm »

The main reason I suggested a skill is just, well, it's really hard to pick up an instrument and just play it well. You can pluck harp strings, blow into a harmonica or press keys on a keyboard, but knowing how to play a song, and for many instruments, even knowing how to make them sound good, is a much more complicated ordeal which takes a lot of practice even for the most simple instruments and songs.

Reading sheet music is its own, separate ordeal.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15879 on: February 16, 2015, 08:27:13 pm »

I don't think many people would really complain in the post-cataclysm, so a morale/mood boost seems appropriate, with a larger boost for those that were trained pre-cataclysm.
And even a bad musician can enjoy their own music, since it's more about playing at all, rather than the result. (I'll personally vouch for this, being a bad musician myself :P)

I think I'm more against the idea as it's a uni-tasker. No apparent benefit other than the amount of morale/mood you get from playing an instrument.
I would argue that if you wanted something more than a simple trait flag, then perhaps a stat check against some combination of dex, int and perception?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: February 16, 2015, 09:58:47 pm »

I guess it depends. Not knowing how to play any string-and-bow instrument (e.g. violin) means you're going to sound like a zombie-attracting trainwreck. Same for a lot of woodwinds and brass instruments and knowing which keys should be pressed or holes should be covered and in what order.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15881 on: February 16, 2015, 11:07:26 pm »

Oh yea, definitely not debating that point, but (I think) anyone with sufficient intelligence and time would be able to perform at a competent level without any instruction.

Mattamue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15882 on: February 17, 2015, 02:33:52 am »

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDjamjFb7Muqy9sp51LnvIoYqnKgSt0kJ been talking through the updates the past few weeks.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: February 17, 2015, 07:11:44 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDjamjFb7Muqy9sp51LnvIoYqnKgSt0kJ been talking through the updates the past few weeks.

Lemme know if you actually want to hash out the interview schedule--I may get busier in the next few months.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: February 18, 2015, 09:29:18 am »

Are there any safe (yet not terribly exploity) ways of dealing with zombie hulks? In a savescummed run I tried to throw a dynamite to it. It only removed a single health bar.
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1086