Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864229 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15840 on: February 15, 2015, 10:05:48 am »

You know, alot of the time those katanas are fake.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15841 on: February 15, 2015, 11:43:52 am »

The mansions should probably have better security measures, honestly. Who in the hell's going to live in a mansion that doesn't have ADT's newest alarm system, a fully-stocked panic room, and a few questionably legal robotic guards for good measure?
Nothing important here, move along.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15842 on: February 15, 2015, 12:00:46 pm »

there's mods to remove religious books, survivor armor, ect. Why is there no mansion removal mod? you walk in, find a katana, never die. woo. so fun.

This is exactly why I play with Dynamic NPCs off.  You can find katanas off of dead NPCs so easily.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15843 on: February 15, 2015, 12:18:15 pm »

You can find a lot of high quality gear off of survivors actually.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15844 on: February 15, 2015, 12:21:53 pm »

What system should I use for tabletop cataclysm?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15845 on: February 15, 2015, 12:35:57 pm »

It's not. You just need enough skill.

Just spend your free time shooting sticks at a wall, then making new sticks to shoot against the wall.

Slingshots train archery. Just smash a fridge, break some rocks, and start being a pain in the ass to the zombies.

Just note that slingshot pebbles are not recoverable.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15846 on: February 15, 2015, 12:38:35 pm »

What system should I use for tabletop cataclysm?
Well. All Flesh Must Be Eaten goes for B-movie zombies and characters die from a single infected bite, so I'd go with a custom rules version of that.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15847 on: February 15, 2015, 01:00:32 pm »

The mansions should probably have better security measures, honestly. Who in the hell's going to live in a mansion that doesn't have ADT's newest alarm system, a fully-stocked panic room, and a few questionably legal robotic guards for good measure?

Good point.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15848 on: February 15, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »

The same people who have mansions consisting entirely of dining rooms without bedrooms or bathrooms.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15849 on: February 15, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »

I dont think that any form of realism was thought of, and rather that the size was more-or-less randomly chosen.
A little bit of this, a lot of the fact that the volume system just doesn't have the granularity we need yet. The smallest unit of volume is currently 1/4 of a Liter, we really need something on the scale of cc's, at least on the code side).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15850 on: February 15, 2015, 01:57:18 pm »

Fuel is used in units of less than 250ml.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15851 on: February 15, 2015, 02:36:13 pm »

Fuel is used in units of less than 250ml.
Yeah, but it does it through this horrible hacky charge system workaround. Alcohol does the same thing. In truth it's still working in volumes of 250ml, it's just that it's a "only every 100th charge actually has volume while the others count for nothing" type of thing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #15852 on: February 15, 2015, 03:12:13 pm »

You can empty out cardboard boxes. Which is actually advantageous to do anyway--the cardboard boxes take up more space than the cookies/poptarts/cereal they contain, likely a reference to real-life manufacturers making massively oversized boxes for their contents in order to make it look like you're buying more.
Smart. It was these kind of details that got me playing.

Oversized packaging serves another purpose though: you only really see it with easily crushable foods: cookies or chips. Stuff like candy which isn't crushable almost always comes in more compact containers which don't have a lot of air in them. This difference makes it more likely that it's about cushioning products so that you're not buying a bag of dust. If it was a general "make it look bigger" thing then you'd see bags of candy puffed up like balloons too, but no company does this. I think people are more aware of the weight they are paying for than people saby.

I can buy a big bag of choc chip cookies cheaper than ones that come with a plastic tray separating them, but the bag ones definitely have a whole strata of crushed cookies and dust in the bottom. With the tray ones you're guaranteed to be able to eat actual cookies and not be shoveling crumbs into your mouth. This is the reason people buy the tray ones, and not because the package looks bigger. So, if Cataclysm:DDA wants to model that really realistically, then fragile foods removed from their packaging shoud deteriorate into crumbs.

I can see your point, but don't completely agree. For a start the vast majority of buscuits, cookies, and crackers in the UK are in tight plastic packaging without trays. The shop I work in has a number of times had the quantity of boiled and jelly sweets reduced without changing price or bag size. The packs of crisps in the multi-packs also contain far more packaging to crisps as compared to same brand single packs, but should be equally vunerable (multi-packs providing more protection even). One strange thing is that the more expensive crisps we sell tend to have far less packaging to crisps.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15853 on: February 15, 2015, 03:31:10 pm »

"Whoa, a katana. I'd probably hurt myself trying to swing that." /walk away

yeah, yeah, knew i'd get replies like this.
but it's just sitting in the cabinet
beckoning
what man has such willpower to resist

When you see a mansion, look towards your inner pyromaniac Marxist and stick it to the bourgeoisie by chucking a Molotov in the front door.

Mind if I sig this?
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15854 on: February 15, 2015, 03:33:28 pm »

Cata is based in the New England states of the US, where packaging is nutty.
Pages: 1 ... 1055 1056 [1057] 1058 1059 ... 1086